1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Build Links for a Local Business?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by jryan89, Apr 10, 2013.

Hi,

I have an Martial Arts business and I used to be on the top of google, but they just did an update and I dropped down quite a bit.

Anyways, I have some SEO experience, but I need to get myself up to date with the new changes.

My question is: How is the best way to get links that are related to Martial Arts without linking to my local competitors? I mean, since I am 100% locally focused should I focus on local links? Or should I like to other Martial Arts Websites that are similar to me on the Net? Thanx.

jryan89, Apr 10, 2013 IP
  2. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It seems you were on top and you were pushed by the recent updates. Also, remember the changes "may" not be permanent. It might be just a google dance. So, before taking any serious actions, just wait for few days and see how things goes!

And for your local business site link building, the below things may help you out.

1. Advertise your site on local classifieds or blogs with reasonably decent traffic. (You can use google blog search or you can find blog with your keywords easily through google)
    2. If there are any local community forums, get involved in that. Post more and have your local site in your signature.
    3. You can also find local review websites and ask them to do a review on your business.
    4. Build a positive reputation so that Google lists you with all positive feedback.
    5. Build links with anchor text having your business keyword and your location.
    6. Also, you can advertise or sponsor any local events where local people related to your business will gather.

Also, refer to this thread - > https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/free-local-seo-business-help.2649920/ for some list of sites which allows local listings. It might be useful for you!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    kingofking, Apr 11, 2013 IP
  3. jryan89

jryan89 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much!
    What about non-local websites? Should I get links from them as well? Like other MA schools that are not in my area?

jryan89, Apr 11, 2013 IP
  4. freeadstime

freeadstime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When exactly your site was affected? we probably can go through the changes Google made in that particular date. If it is something that can be fixed, then you should have it fixed and wait for their next update. If it is not a manual penalty, you probably can get your traffic back by the next update. If it is a manual penalty, then you should submit a reconsideration, after you had your site fixed.

freeadstime, Apr 11, 2013 IP
  5. GoWithABC

GoWithABC Active Member

Best Answers:
    You want to focus on getting yourself listed on local directories (meaning yellowbook.com and the rest) and ensure that your Name Address and Phone Number are 100% matching.. The local results and Google Places/Plus results are going to appear above organic results in most cases. Its very important to make sure there are no current issues with your Google Places page. Duplicate listings with crossed information are a big issue right now. Any old phone numbers you may have used could interfere with your current listing.

If you set up a new local listing Google is now opening up some support channels to get the local stuff fixed.

Hope that helps!

GoWithABC, Apr 11, 2013 IP
  6. rameshrai

rameshrai Active Member

Best Answers:
    set up a local google map on your website

rameshrai, Apr 14, 2013 IP
  7. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Place your link on Local Directories which are verified and trustworthy.
    Your customers or clients can help in this regard too. You can ask them to link back to your site.
    Then local press could help bring customers to your site and local news websites would link to you. Prepare good useful press releases for them.

traxport121, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  8. ferma231

ferma231 Member

Best Answers:
    it doesnt matter if its local site, or broad site for worldwide keywords

SEO is being done the same, only anchor texts are different so google can see what you are trying to rank for

ferma231, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  9. Eagle Eyes

Eagle Eyes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its really hard to build links for forums compared to lets say a blog. Because forum has topics and nothing useful to be shared.

Eagle Eyes, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  10. jryan89

jryan89 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you everyone! I have a solid strategy now.

Last thing...Do I have to link on the page that I want listed, or can I just have the links on my blog page, and then have them link in to my homepage? Thx.

jryan89, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  11. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In this case, local directories, local forums, local blogs, local social sites would help a lot.

alex06295, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  12. Richard1991

Richard1991 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The best link building practices build networks that go beyond dumping exact anchor text URLs across the web.The best link building practices involve leveraging a businesses existing network for traffic referrals first because the return is the highest there.Here is a list of link building strategies for local business:
    1.Start with your own network for easily attainable links
    2.Establish a relationship with 3rd party review websites
    3.Make interesting press releases that could be picked up by local, regional and national news outlets
    4.Spot opportunities with vertical markets
    5.Get involved with the community and ask for reciprocation

Richard1991, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  13. eric_wahlberg

eric_wahlberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    See, you have a Martial Arts website which comes into sports, Self Defence category.
    So,you must exchange links with sports, Self Defence websites,Judo Karate,Boxing Websites. All these sites are related to your website theme.

Second thing,nowadays content of website has really become important.Add a blog in your website and update it regularly with latest articles like tips for Martial Arts, Self Defense Martial Arts tricks for women etc.

Try these methods and then see results.

eric_wahlberg, Apr 25, 2013 IP
  14. MikeQ

MikeQ Member

Best Answers:
    You can also find blots and forums related to martial art ant and participate there regularly, it would help you a lot, there is no doubt to it, I would say.

MikeQ, Apr 25, 2013 IP