1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Content has outpaced my Lastest Site Design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by DoubleDee, Apr 3, 2013.

I am new to web design and development, and have just spent the past 18-24 months re-designing my website. Changes include Database-Driven Articles, More Dynamic Content, and a Social Media aspect including Profiles and Messaging.

My design is pretty simple, and uses a horizontal Navigation Bar with 5 Tabs each represnting a (Content) "Section".

When you click on a Tab, a "Section Home Page" is displayed with a vertical listing of "Article Summaries". (This can grow indefinitely.)

The problem is that over the last year or so, I have come up with probably 30+ legitimate Sections for my website?! And there is no way I can have 30 Navigation Tabs with my current design?!

I'm not sure what to do?!

I finished testing all of my code a few weeks ago and it works great. And then when I was starting to "plug in" actual Sections, Articles, etc into my "template", it occurred to me that I was screwed, because of the whole Section growth issue.

I am in *tears* because I feel like I just built a 2 bedroom house for the Brady Bunch!!

Any ideas how I can save things???

Sincerely,

Debbie

DoubleDee, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  2. themes4all

themes4all Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    can you past your website URL to check... then i can give you a solution !

themes4all, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  3. rolodex

rolodex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since no URL, just some tips to share.

1 - Don't mix sugar with salt. They belong in different containers.
    2 - If I were you, I'd redesign the whole thing, including the database, because now I know what's coming up, and what will come up after that, and after that, and after that. Maybe 3-4 levels of after that. If you go further, you might not finish your work.
    3 - Well, you said your design is simple, it wouldn't be much of a problem now, wouldn't it?
    4 - Rest assured, each Brady got a house with 2 bedrooms. Build more houses, work harder.
    5 - How can you save things? By keeping it.

Sincerely,
    Brady Boy.

rolodex, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  4. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Home | About | Categories | Contact

Categories contains a list of 'sections', sections contain a list of articles which are split into 10-20 article links per page with pagination included. Each article in the list of 10-20 takes you to that individual article. So this would look like:

Home > Categories > Section 1 > Page 1 > Article 1
    Home > Categories > Section 4 > Page 6 > Article 24

I'd try and keep it limited to that though, the more you get people clicking through, the more chance you have of losing the visitor.

scottlpool2003, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  5. maneetpuri

maneetpuri Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmm…seems like I somewhat got your concern here mate! If your tabs are static then we can implement a JavaScript code wherein a user can click on the next button to navigate onto the next tabs, whereas if the tabs are Dynamic, we could go for ‘Paging’.

maneetpuri, Apr 15, 2013 IP