1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Commenting System Should I Use

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Nicholas Pope, Mar 10, 2013.

Hey guys just wondering what you think I should use for my comments system for my PlayStation fan website psgamers.net, Should I use standard one that allows backlink or facebook comments or somthing like Disqus ??? Thanks for your input

Nicholas Pope, Mar 10, 2013 IP
  2. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Peon

Best Answers:
    Disqus isn't the greatest system, if I were you I'd try a few out and get feedback from the members of your site. They are the ones who will be using it after all.

Charles Jones, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  3. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest the default WordPress comment system with Gravatar. WordPress has built in support for Gravatar. Also allow visitors to post comments through social media logins, use Simple Twitter Connect and Simple Facebook Connect plugin. For spam control Akismet plugin is perfect, it does a decent job of flagging spam comments. Disable pingbacks/trackbacks on all posts. Add a subscribe to comments and subscribe to newsletter plugins. All this would help in keeping the blog clean and interested and genuine visitors would interact and post comments. Hope it's helpful. :)

MilesWeb, Apr 5, 2013 IP
  4. Mumbaionweb

Mumbaionweb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It all depend on what you want to achieve
    here are a few things disqus helps you apart from what is allready meantioned above.

Logging in with Twitter ID
    Logging in with Facebook ID (however the website owner has to go through hoops to make this work)
    Logging in with OpenID
    Leaving a video response (requires Seesmic account)
    Tracking social media response (via UberVU)

However disqus provides with NOFOLLOW backlinks. so in other words if your ok with NOFOLLOW backlinks then Disqus is best. Else try IntenseDebate's comment system, Its supports dofollow backlinks
    Hope it helps

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Mumbaionweb, Apr 5, 2013 IP
  5. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are using WordPress, you can use their own default commenting system for that.
    Disqus might not be the best, but it is certainly good and keeps out spam and scam out too.

traxport121, Apr 7, 2013 IP
  6. gzed

gzed Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like you're using subrion cms, so the WordPress tips above don't apply to you.
    I haven't heard of subrion before, but there's one huge advantage to using a hosted commenting platform like Livefyre / Intense Debate / Disqus:

Your comments are portable and independent of the CMS. You could switch to WordPress in a year, maybe Statamic a year after that, and your comments wouldn't be affected at all.

gzed, Apr 9, 2013 IP
    Nicholas Pope likes this.
  7. Nicholas Pope

Nicholas Pope Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice thank you.

Nicholas Pope, Apr 9, 2013 IP
  8. uhexos

uhexos Member

Best Answers:
    If you arte using joomla, I would reconmend Komento

uhexos, Apr 10, 2013 IP
  9. SlimCharles47

SlimCharles47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is obviously way late on the response, but for any future people who have the same question, Disqus is great and easy to use for a commenting system.

SlimCharles47, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  10. Theneo

Theneo Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest to be with the standard one....installing disqus or any other commenting system w will increase your page load time

Theneo, Oct 2, 2013 IP