1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ddosdefend.com or cloudflare

Discussion in 'Security' started by fgsg, Mar 1, 2013.

Hello,

What is best ddos protect ddosdefend.com or cloudflare ?

Thanks.

fgsg, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  2. JoshDylan

JoshDylan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just a heads up, a lot of these DDoS defense companies out there actually have no real way to filter very large attacks. With cloudflare, your site is protected through a cdn for your website meaning all traffic is filtered through various servers at various network points. Cloudflare is a reputable company and if your willing to spend the money, you can even get a SLA agreement.

JoshDylan, Mar 3, 2013 IP
  3. fgsg

fgsg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    size of my ddos attack is 60-100mbps what u suggest ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    fgsg, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  4. JoshDylan

JoshDylan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For a small attack like that, im sorta shocked you haven't setup a software firewall or hardware firewall. I could suggest signing up for a DDoS protections service with a proxy or gre tunneling service, but I seriously think you will be wasting your money. Talk with your datacenter and see if they offer any hardware firewall solutions like Dell Sonic Walls or similar. For small attacks, these hardware firewalls can offer some assistance.

If this is not something that is available, I would look into Staminus.net's DDoS Protection service. For half a gb of protection, your looking at $200 a month. But as I said previously, it doesn't always work. When the company I used to work for hosted the minecraft marathon servers, we experienced ddos attacks left and right and experienced packet loss as well across multiple bandwidth carriers.

JoshDylan, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  5. cashx

cashx Peon

Best Answers:
    Cloudflare doesn't protect against DDOS, it basically just cleans traffic to your site. For real DDOS protection you have to pay Black Lotus or Prolexic or somebody else which is not cheap, it's like $1000 per month. You should also google 'emergency ddos protection' if you're being attacked right now and usually they charge per hour to stop the attack.

However you can natively host VPS with Black Lotus for around $300 a month, or co-locate host your box there for the same price. It defends against all major DDOS. http://www.blacklotus.net/host/cloud-servers

There are other companies that are cheaper for native VPS hosting w/DDOS protection but I've never used them so no idea if they work or not.

cashx, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  6. simon2k11

simon2k11 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    while black lotus is a great and reputable company in terms of DDOS protection, you should not forget that cloudflare does indeed now provide complete DDOS protection from layer 4 and layer 7 attacks when you have a pro membership ( minimum 200$/Mo)

from my point of view, cloudflare fills a great gap for some guys that are getting random 50-1GBPS ddos and do not have financial means to be behind ddos protected network 24/7

simon2k11, Apr 8, 2013 IP
  7. umarsa

umarsa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a pretty small DDOS attack to be honest and should be pretty easy to mitigate. You need to keep in mind that if your line is only 100mbps then you will have next to no chance to mitigate the attack as even if you filter all traffic, the port is being flooded. I would suggest you upgrade to a larger line then use iptables to filter the traffic. I know this is not what you asked but just thought I would mention this.

Cloudflare is more reputable than ddosdefend and as their system is based on a CDN, it would probably be pretty effective against DDOS attacks but do not expect it to block sophisticated attacks as there are always ways to get around cloudflare.

DDOS is a kiddy move to be honest and I have found that upgrading my server to 1gbps has been a LOT more effective than any other solution. Usually the DDOS attack does not last too long as the servers are suspended as soon as the host finds out which means having a large bandwidth pipe is a pretty good solution.

umarsa, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  8. Kingfish85

Kingfish85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use CloudFlare. Never heard of the other company you mentioned.

Kingfish85, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  9. MonsteRNaruto

MonsteRNaruto Member

Best Answers:
    Cloudflare's CDN doesn't protect you the CDN does exactly what any CDN (Content Delivery Network) would do witch is optimize loading speeds by caching the images on multiple servers, The reverse proxy from cloudflare protects (Witch does route through multiple servers but not really classed as a CDN) you as in masks your IP and takes the hit although if more then 10Gbps cloudflare will route it directly to you, Also if your planning on hiding your real IP behind cloudflare or another dns you will require an external email server or mail provider so the mail it sent from your hide and wont contain the IP Address in the header of the email. There are also many other factors like making sure all the clouds are lit up orrange, deleting direct. and direct-connect., ftp., And they also some some interesting security tools witch can be helpful if you really don't know what your doing, Although I would suggest a Secure Webhost and cloudflare. Now with you saying your getting 100mbps roughly attacks I would suggest setting up a firewall with a few custom rule set, I would recommend either CSF or APF, Also I would recommend you switch your webserver to Nginx as its less vuln to Layer 7 attacks and in general preforms better, Hope this helps OP.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    MonsteRNaruto, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  10. ssrulz1

ssrulz1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cloudflare is a best option to prevent DDOS.

ssrulz1, Aug 18, 2013 IP