1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should i sell my squidoo lens?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jazzd1, Mar 8, 2013.

Hi, I have a squidoo lens that have been holding at the #1 position for about 2- 3 years of its current keyword but haven't been able to generate any recent sales..I really worked hard my lens last summer and fall AND also on my other lenses which are in the same niche..My goal was to make a sale a day.. I haven't made a sale since a started my goal..I made about 3 sales a couple of years ago but aside from that, i haven't made a sale since.. It's either me, the niche or both? lol I'm really thinking hard about letting it go or letting them go but really don't want to..It's not giving up but just focusing on my other site which is definately working for me and have so for many years..So my question is, if i decide to, how much should i sell my lens for that's in the #1 position but yet to make a sale recently?

jazzd1, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  2. seogawd

seogawd Active Member

Best Answers:
    you from asheville jazz? raleigh here

what's your lense?

seogawd, Mar 8, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.
  3. brandama

brandama Member

Best Answers:
    Hi jazzd1,

It could be the keyword you targeted doesn't convert as well as you hoped. I have done that quite a bit before. Sometimes its just better to cut your loses and get what you can while you can, before the rankings drop. Maybe price the lens somewhere between the potential revenue and the actual revenue you received and take the best offer that comes close.

If you decide you want to keep it, than you can try to rebrand it, and change the copy of the page so that it is more formatted to converting sales than ranking #1 on Google and hope the SERP (Search Engine Results Position) of your page stays he same. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, if you post the topic I might be able to provide some more commentary.

Best Regards,
    Brandama

brandama, Mar 8, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.
  4. jazzd1

jazzd1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks bro..Your post is most helpful..Cutting my losses is what i've been thinking about recently..The topic is in the spiritual/metaphysical niche..These type of niches is hard to convert because this is a niche where people don't NEED to buy but would try through free information in "most" cases.. Thanks again for your reply..

jazzd1, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  5. ThomasCarlson

ThomasCarlson Member

Best Answers:
    Squidoo disabled the ability to transfer a lens to a new owner. You wouldn't be able to sell the lens any longer. This month Squidoo has started rolling out changes, kicking people off their site and locking their accounts without giving the users access to recover their content. Squidoo is not looking good right now. Tier income is dropping like a rock too.

ThomasCarlson, Mar 16, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.
  6. jazzd1

jazzd1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow!! I didn't know that man..Well maybe i'll redo the content and focus on more keywords where i should get a sale every now and then..I'll be satisfied then..

jazzd1, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I would look if Amazon or any other network offers something that is new and exciting to those interested in metaphysical material. Is there a new book out? Something different? Anything people into this consider hot and revolutionary?

I would assume many of your visitors look at sites related a lot and if you really want to monetize, you need to give them something that they haven't already seen advertised everywhere else.

Blogmaster, Apr 6, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.
  8. BayCrazy

BayCrazy Member

Best Answers:
    I think you may be right about it being the niche... though you haven't posted your lense so I'm not quite sure, as perhaps it's the structure or way you've positioned links or something?

That actually seems less likely given the fact you're in such a high-position... as you're still presumably getting a lot of traffic - do you have any idea how much, per day?

I have no experience in that niche but as your logic suggests - people don't NEED to buy, and it's also veering towards ethics and psychology, it's more of an 'general advice' and water-cooler discussion kind of niche that perhaps seem a little too abstract to convert maybe?

Self-help is a huge and profitable field, have you tried incorporating products of that nature?

BayCrazy, Apr 6, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I myself don't either, but I know some people who have had websites at one point related to "alternative faith" and the overall complaint I have heard was: Lots of traffic, few sales.

Except when one of the "gurus" wrote a new book and you published an affiliate link to it where most of the traffic went. Then for a week or two sales would jump up rapidly.

Blogmaster, Apr 7, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.
  10. BayCrazy

BayCrazy Member

Best Answers:

Hmm, yeah well the subject-matter is flimsy so it makes sense that it would only get boosts when someone popular re-positions the perspective in a way that catches on...

Beyond that, I'd imagine most are reading or searching for casual and ethical purposes and so not particularly inclined to be buying products, it's perhaps too laid-back and casual.

Considering that your lense is ranked so highly but you can't optimize it... what about if you tried a few different structures and product-types out (perhaps list the top 10 selling related books etc.) and work related content in naturally... and give it 6 months... if no joy and your lense is no better off, revert to your original format and sell the lense as you said, I'm sure there will be somebody interested in optimizing it.

BayCrazy, Apr 7, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.
  11. jazzd1

jazzd1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, even though i'm # 1 for a main keyword, the traffic is really low but i should have had a few sales by now..I'm really starting to think that the combination of the affiliate program and the targeted keyword just not meshing..I think i'm going to focus on other similiar keywords but try a different affiliate program and update the content..Yeah i think i'll give it another 6 months and see what happens..I can always add an amazon book module if things don't work out..I just need to bulk up on targeted traffic.. Thanks guys for your suggestions..

jazzd1, Apr 7, 2013 IP
  12. gzed

gzed Active Member

Best Answers:
    jazzd1, I think it's something that might have to do with the spiritual/metaphysical niche. Squidoo is putting even more emphasis on lenses that can be monetized with Amazon. I know every niche has Amazon books that can be sold, but that's not what generates the coin for sites like Squidoo. I first check if there are $50+ products selling in my niche before I generate a lens around it. My more informational topics I've been saving for other places like Blogger and Hubpages.

gzed, Apr 9, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.