1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Many Domains Are Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by David Jordan, Apr 5, 2013.

Thanks for reading this post! I really appreciate it.

I'm a total beginner to domains. I got hooked this week when my friend showed me how easy it is to sell medium level 2 word domains. My friend told me that it is worth getting 200 domains for 1 year, because they will all sell really fast on auction, but I looked and there are many good domains that are on auction and are not getting bought.

So what do you think? Is the investment of 200 domains worth it? Or should I start with about 10, if I have a list of approximately 200 medium level domains and 10 really good ones in my mind.

Also, what kind of domains can sell over $5000 and the $10,000 dollar mark? I think some of mine can go that high, but I'm really not sure what truly makes domain flippers and end users spend that kind of money.

Thanks so much, and sorry if these are noob questions, but I appreciate your support!

David Jordan, Apr 5, 2013 IP
  2. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm.... I had a stack of really good domains, that were not purchased to sell, but purchased for sites that I was later unable to develop due to lack of time / funding. Ended up selling a few for half the registration costs, and the rest I left to expire. Just this week I have given away for free 3 domains(2 with fully developed with sites and with traffic), all i can say the market is shit right now.

If you are really keen, and you know people who are doing well and can teach you then perhaps it is worth to start with 10 domains, and if you sell one high enough to pay for all 10 domains, then decide if its worth to buy 10 more. If for every domain you sell, you purchase 10 more with the profits then sure, if you are doing well soon enough you will have a large portfolio, with only "$100" in.

But to run out and purchase 200 domains from the get go, well, if say your technique is not good, you might end up with a high percentage of your portfolio filled with 'bad' domains. whereas buying a few a week sort of thing, hopefully you learn and improve each time. You might still end up with a bad domain or two... but if you learn from it and come out better for it then its a worthwhile mistake.

just my thoughts.

matt_62, Apr 5, 2013 IP
  3. WPOSolutions

WPOSolutions Active Member

Best Answers:
    domaining used to be a great little earner a few years back, so unless you've got access to some pretty cool domain names with the correct domain extension, I'd start with 10 to test the water.

WPOSolutions, Apr 5, 2013 IP
  4. David Jordan

David Jordan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you sir for the kind response! You are absolutely correct and you really helped me not to make a big mistake. I believe my strategy is good, but of course, I am new to this industry, so it is insane to start off this strong. I just have one more question please :)
    You said earlier that knowing the right people helps, so would you recommend even going as far as posting a domain consulting job on an freelance website?
    Also, what makes a domain sell in the $$$ and $$$$$ ranges? I simply don't see why some domains sell that much higher than others, and I want to list my top 10 domains for $10,000 range, but I'm not sure if I should, although I must say I think they're really good.
    Thanks a lot mate!

5. WPOSolutions

WPOSolutions Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to know a little more about domains, selling or buying have a look at sedo.com

WPOSolutions, Apr 5, 2013 IP
  6. David Jordan

David Jordan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I looked and I noticed that most extremely top domains were one word. Then, I looked in godaddy auctions, and it seemed like the prices were higher, 2 word domains were the only ones, and still more people were bidding. So I think I'm gonna go for it! Should I auction at godaddy? Thanks man!

7. jasonwilks

jasonwilks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just bought a 2 word domain for $1,700. 2 word domains are going to be worth super crazy more and more into the future.

jasonwilks, Apr 5, 2013 IP