1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Learning HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/MySQL and everything in between

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by pxgfx, Mar 31, 2013.

Hello developers! I would like to seriously learn / have a very strong foundation in / be good at... and eventually little by little be expert in the field of WEB DEVELOPMENT. Yes, you heard it right. I am serious about reaching my goals as a newbie programmer. I would really appreciate anyone who would participate in the discussions that this thread might bring, and let's all be friends.

I'm creating this thread so that I'll have one place to ask questions.

-----------

(HTML4/XHTML1/HTML5)
    First of all, I'm really confused as to what should I consider the correct thing or move to do. I've googled and read enough about HTML5 but it just made me more confused.

Secondly, what will be the best approach to study the languages involved? I mean, what's next after HTML/CSS?

I think that's all for now, TIA and Cheers!

pxgfx, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  2. sanchyclub

sanchyclub Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    after html/css ..next is PHP or Wordpress :/
    Responsive web development is also important to become successful
    and html5/css3 is the future of web development and they already become famous.

learnlayout.com is good site to lean CSS
    and lynda.com is also a great place

Feel free to ask questions ..we are here to help you out :)

Good luck,

sanchyclub, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  3. pxgfx

pxgfx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey! Thanks to this one --> learnlayout.com

Responsive in what sense? What exactly do you mean by "responsive web development"?

I'm kinda curious... I can remember one time, one of my professors once told me the same thing as well, to skip JS and proceed to learning PHP first instead. I wonder why is that so? I think I won't embrace the Wordpress platform, at least not yet. I would really like to have a strong and solid understanding of HTML/CSS and kinda build some small projects of my own around it.

And one more thing, I'm pretty much sure you're aware about the issues surrounding HTML5. What's your opinion about it if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    pxgfx, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  4. Max Filev

Max Filev Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you tackle JavaScript, you could kill two birds with one stone. You can then do client side scripting and server side as well with Active Server Pages. Well, actually 3 birds, Flash Actionscript is exactly same as JavaScript so you would be able to do cool Flash applications as well, which would run off ASP to create interactive Flash Apps and even multi-user games. JavaScript is one of the easiest languages to learn and it will give you all the tools you would need to become a web developer. All you need to know about javascript is the "if/else" statement, "function", and "for". Once you understand what those do and how they work syntax is very easy in JavaScript. It would take you about 20 minutes to learn each one of those, so about 1 hour total. Use reference guides for everything else. If you have ASP enabled on your web host, you can do web development already, just open text program and enter a few lines of code and save it with a ".asp" extension instead of ".txt" and upload as you would an html file. Heck, throw on an Access Database file on there as well and you got yourself into database driven web application development! Once you open that first record from MS Access on your web page you're gonna feel like super man and fly into the sky with a cape! Seriously, its WAY better feeling that that first html page that showed whatever you saved on there on anyone's computer! Don't be afraid, anyone can do it.

Max Filev, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  5. jss4ever

jss4ever Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Responsive Web Design, or generally the term responsive in relation to web design means that the website is optimized to be viewed on whatever screen size. the design of the website adapts to the viewport of the visitor's screen.

It's the trend in web development and you should start learning the principles.

Also there are many frameworks which supports responsive web development
    Feel free to ask question ;)

jss4ever, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  6. usman.siddiqui

usman.siddiqui Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'll recommend you HTML,CSS with javascript it would take a month if you practice daily and spend 4 hours then php as well as wordpress.php need minimum 2 months after php,wordpress would take only 3 weeks.After All you can learn easily Html5 and css3.
    Above timing i'll tell you according to my experience infact,learning duration depends on your interest.

Best of Luck.

usman.siddiqui, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  7. pxgfx

pxgfx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I'm just thinking of staying away from Flash if you know what I mean. Or maybe I'm not sure what I'm talking about.

Oh I see, now I know. I guess I really have a long way to go, thanks for the links!

If I only have all the time in the world. Unfortunately I won't be able to do it that fast, thanks to my day job. Talking about WordPress, I don't really know much about it obviously. Is it ONLY for blog-type websites?

-----------

@ALL: Which CSS reset are you using? I think this one is pretty good and reliable (by html doctor): http://html5doctor.com/html-5-reset-stylesheet/

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    pxgfx, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  8. usman.siddiqui

usman.siddiqui Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and a content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. It has many features including a plug-in architecture and a template system. WordPress is used by over 14.7% of Alexa Internet's "top 1 million" websites and as of August 2011 manages 22% of all new websites.

usman.siddiqui, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  9. pxgfx

pxgfx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks thanks! I should really learn PHP and MySQL first then. Drupal seems to be interesting as well.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    pxgfx, Apr 4, 2013 IP