1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have some very specific SEO questions....

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Kendi, Apr 2, 2013.

Hi all. I havn't been attempting SEO for very long now but I've tried to learn as much as I can, I have a few questions though that I can't seem to find the answers to and some of them may sound really obvious but like I said, I'm new at this and would really appreciate the help:

• When doing backlinks for a site to improve Google ranking, should I be linking to the main domain or a subdomain? e.g. In my country's Google search, when I type in 'stainless steel balustrades', my websites 'about us' page comes up on page 2 (http://www.balustyle.co.za/about.html) but not www.balustyle.co.za. Does this mean I should be creating links to the about us page or the main domain - does it make a difference?
    • If I create a link on a high ranking website, but the link itself is on a page of that website that is not a high ranking page, will it still be a useful link?
    • When backlinks are created, how long does it take for Google to take note of it?
    • I've noticed when trying to judge my SEO progress on a particular website that the ranking on my Google Search is a bit misleading - it seems much higher than when I look on another computer - why is this and how can I get realistic idea of what my ranking is?

Kendi, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    1. It helps to mix things up and point links to various pages. This assumes you are linking complimentary terms. Think relevant anchor text to relevant pages.
    2. That is a common ruse when folks offer links on high PR pages but your link appears on some random page. Like a directory for instance. It won't necessarily hurt and PR doesn't inherently mean much if anything these days.
    3. That really depends on how often the site in question is getting crawled.
    4. Assuming you are using google, you have to shut of your browser history or your results get skewed based on what you have been visiting. That is a pretty helpful feature unless, of course, you are an seo person lol..

hope that clears a few things up. I could frankly go on for days.
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  3. kchanda

kchanda Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As soon as Google crawl the site, your backlink will be indexed. The easiest way is to share the url in Google+ and Twitter. Crawler always crawl those social media site, so your backlink will be crawled faster than other time.

kchanda, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  4. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should generally noindex the about us page and create links for the home page. PR of the homepage is usually taken as the PR of the whole site.
    Creating link on a low PR page of a high PR website is better than the low PR page of a low PR website. Web Pages of High PR sites are more prone to being getting crawled and indexed and ranked than those of low PR sites.
    After backlinks creation, Google usually indexes them within 24 hours though this may differ. It may crawl the page and not index it, depending upon the content, activity and other factors for that page.
    Finally Google shows your search results based on your activities and previous searches. As you frequently access your website and search for it on Google, it shows you pages from your website much higher than for an ordinary user. Search results are different for every user, so there is no exact criteria.
    However, you can get some idea after testing from several machines of people with different search tendencies.

traxport121, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  5. praveen1

praveen1 Member

Best Answers:
    Great info..thanks

praveen1, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  6. svfox

svfox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should link to the relevant page. Don't try to jerk your pagerank because it will one day blow up in your face. If there is a doubt what page to link to then link it to your homepage.

svfox, Apr 4, 2013 IP