1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

fopen Advice

Discussion in 'Programming' started by MuckyDucky, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Would it be wise (please give answer in thread)?

1. .Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Hi there,
    Would it be wise to create a site to check if another site is up or down?

My question is about the method in which I do this: would it be wise to allow a user to type in any address using the f open( ) ; function, providing the file in question has a secure permission setting, like 644?

I've seen this be done in cURL but it looks complicated. I like to only use code I fully understand myself.

Also, could someone take advantage of this? I'd add a CAPTCHA, but would people be able to abuse it as a botnet or something? Any suggestions on how to limit requests from a single IP?

If you don't know what I mean, search 'is this site down' and you'll get a few relevant results.

Solved! View solution.
    MuckyDucky, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rukbat, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  3. MuckyDucky

MuckyDucky Greenhorn

Best Answers:

There's an Apple but there's also a Microsoft.
    I'd like to make my own. :)

MuckyDucky, Mar 22, 2013 IP
    As long as you sanitize the URL's to the base FQDN's and set reasonable limits for various things (Like caching results for a minute for example) it should be mostly fine, I would still be careful though and run the script in a well jailed environment.

matessim, Mar 30, 2013 IP