1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

when to reboot?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by templates, Mar 25, 2013.

I am running a VPS and so far it has been great compared to what i am use to, which is reseller accounts..my question is, when should i, if ever, reboot the server? I see it has a graceful and forced reboot..server has been up for 8 days. is there a rule of thumb?

templates, Mar 25, 2013 IP
  2. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,

Typically, you should only need to reboot when the kernel is updated. If you are using an OpenVZ server, the kernel is linked to the host node, so you cannot update it. Using KVM or Xen, you have your own kernel, and it will need to be updated at some point.

Regards,
    Chris

RHS-Chris, Mar 25, 2013 IP
    templates likes this.
  3. RoseHosting

RoseHosting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @RHS-Chris is right. you only need to reboot your vps if it has its own kernel and it needs to be updated.

sometimes when a package is updated, one reboots the server/vps so that the updated packages use the updated libraries etc.. but there is really no need for that as the following command:

# lsof | grep 'DEL.*lib' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | sort -u
    Code (markup):
    will show the packages that need to be restarted so that they use the updated libraries, files etc...

RoseHosting, Mar 26, 2013 IP
    templates likes this.
  4. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all for the help.. I'm new at the vps deal and want everything running smoothly

templates, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  5. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi , I would also only consider reboot if there were issues with process/locks/nfs issues that you couldnt clear but you should be perfectly fine otherwise.

Tom Thumb, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  6. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Reboot is also recommended on the servers if you wish to perform a File System ChecK [FSCK]. But, not required when you have software virtualization. Has to be performed on the node.

MilesWeb, Apr 2, 2013 IP