1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to make a script to work with the latest jQuery version?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Fking, Mar 6, 2013.

I have a site using twitter bootstrap (jQuery v1.9.0), recently i added the wonderful yshout (online user can chat with each other) script which is made in 2010 and uses "jQuery JavaScript Library v1.4.2"

When the old one is included the site doesn't work, when the new one is used, the yshout doesn't work.
    Are there common things that need to be looked/touched so I can make yshout to work with the latest jQuery?

Fking, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  2. Fking

Fking Active Member

Best Answers:
    anyone? :)

Fking, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to another of the reasons I don't advocate the use of javascript frameworks, CSS frameworks or HTML frameworks. In particular the steaming pile of idiocy known as jquery, or presentational half-assed garbage like Bootstrap that defeats the entire point of even using CSS in the first place!

My advice, rip all that bloated slow idiotic CRAP out so people can actually get to your content in an accessible and speedy fashion. While you've not actually shared the URL to the site, from what you've said here ALONE I'm willing to bet it's a non-semantic bloated slow train wreck nobody WANTS to use unless your content is DAMNED GOOD!

deathshadow, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  4. AlbCoder

AlbCoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    find here https://developers.google.com/speed/libraries/devguide#jquery

AlbCoder, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  5. Fking

Fking Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol, deathshadow, you are in hate mode constantly, aren't you? :)

thanks AlbCoder, but i'm not exactly sure what to do with that link

i'm currently using the latest versions anyway, it's just that yshout doesn't work correctly with them

Fking, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  6. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Only for things that warrant hate -- and remember, hate can be as much of a force for good, if not MORE SO, than the feel good drum circle slap the rose coloured glasses on everyone's head to lead them down the garden path nonsense. A good seething hate will at least get you off your backside to do something about an injustice. Beats the ever living tar out of indifference.

In this case, sleazy half assed development practices, broken methodologies and just plain garbage that has no business on a website in the first place have caused your woes. Its a "Doctor doctor, it hurts when I do this" scenario.

PARTICULARLY with that pile of garbage known as bootstrap on the table. At the very LEAST swing an axe at that and *SHOCK* use semantic markup, separation of presentation, and bother using CSS properly; concepts alien to HTML/CSS frameworks -- and why such garbage does NOT save time at the start, in the middle, or in the long run compared to just writing the code properly without such 'assistance'.

Using such 'tools' is bad, ignorant, sloppy practices that needs to be stamped out, as they literally piss all over the accessibility, sustainability, maintainability and sanity of anything built with that crap... while the people making this type of crap (jquery, mootools, YUI, bootstrap, blueprint, grid960) and promoting their use need a nice big double helping of sierra foxtrot tango uniform!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    deathshadow, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  7. Fking

Fking Active Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't even read your whole post. It would be wiser to value your time better and only answer threads where you can actually help instead of forcing your twisted and in this case useless point of view :)

Fking, Mar 13, 2013 IP
    dlb likes this.
  8. desi4life

desi4life Active Member

Best Answers:

So you have two options:
    1) Figure out how to make bootstrap work with jQuery v1.4.2
    2) Figure out how to make yshout with jQuery v1.9.0

I guess the big question is which one is easier to debug and allows you to modify the code. With little bit of exposure I had with jQuery I believe the problem might be deprecated methods being referenced by yshout is what is causing the issue.

I wonder if you can explicitly state to use specific version of the lib for individual component so that they function as designed.

desi4life, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  9. Fking

Fking Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah exactly, and i would prefer 2) since there is other stuff on the page that uses the latest jQuery

no idea about stating specific versions of the lib
    i dont have any experience with it :(

was hoping someone here can point me

Fking, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  10. desi4life

desi4life Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I have never had done it myself either....what happens when you say it does not work? Are you using php? If so, maybe you can put the yShout into a separate php file which then references the v1.4.2 lib and it can be included on your main page which has reference to v1.9.0

desi4life, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  11. Fking

Fking Active Member

Best Answers:

hm that's interesting idea
    but won't that way the 1.4.2 version be included in the main page as well?

Fking, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  12. desi4life

desi4life Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmm nevermind it wont work as the main php page would have already loaded the JS and I don't think you can load JS after the header has been sent to the client....

What happens when you do force yshout to use v1.9? What kind of errors or issues are you running into?

desi4life, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  13. Fking

Fking Active Member

Best Answers:
    most of it doesn't show, just the row where you enter your nick name and message shows and you can post, but it doesn't save it, and when you reload again, you see just the "post a message" row.

Fking, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  14. dlb

dlb Member

Best Answers:
    Have you contacted the developers of yshout at all? Do they have plans to update the script? If not you may need to go wading into the code and update it yourself, or try to find a more modern alternative. Trying to load both libraries will cause conflicts, it's just the nature of the beast.

dlb, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  15. Fking

Fking Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the guy said he isn't supporting it anymore and have forgot about it, since it's been 2 years since developed.
    The thing is, it's the most beautiful one, even compared to some more modern alterantives.
    I really would like to make it work. I guess it's something small and easy for the experienced eyes.

Fking, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  16. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    You missed option 3.

3) get rid of bootstrap as it's pointless bloat and a garbage way to build a website. Could probably cut the markup and CSS size by two-thirds in the process.

deathshadow, Mar 28, 2013 IP