1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying Looking for WP, Script, CSS Expert to fix problem websites

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Julie McElroy, Mar 15, 2013.

I am mainly a writer and less of a programmer. I have built a couple websites over the years (through WP), but am not an EXPERT when it comes to coding and fixing problem (slooow) websites.

Right now, I am interested in speeding up and cleaning up any bad code on two websites mainly: inspiredtowrite.com and thetravelbeat.com.

I am on a very limited budget due to medical reasons, so I will be looking closely at experience and positive feedback to help me decide. Not necessarily the cheapest, but the best value. I would also consider trading coding for content. :)

Please look the sites over and let me know how much work would be involved. Thanks!

Julie McElroy, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  2. Julie McElroy

Julie McElroy Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I only ask that before you contact me, you actually look at sites and the coding and tell me if you can do this and provide a rough cost/time estimate. Thanks!

Julie McElroy, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  3. D3Tek

D3Tek Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    They load pretty damn fast for me!

D3Tek, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  4. ArMouR

ArMouR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As Seller:
    100% - 2
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It is loading faster today so I guess you found someone to solve the issues with speed ;)

ArMouR, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  5. Julie McElroy

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I changed the InspiredtoWrite.com site to the genesis framework. I have not done anything with TheTravelBeat.com site.

Julie McElroy, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  6. mrmuggles

mrmuggles Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    What is your hosting company? Sometimes with cheaper hosting companies with shared hosting (your website is hosted beside hundreds of other websites), it can get slower from time to time. For example if a bad coded script of one of your "neighbor" takes a lot of resources. I had this problem with a 2$ per month hosting solution. Just moving to a 10-15$ per month solution made the difference. According to this Website : http://www.ipneighbour.com/ there is 1600 other websites on the server where your websites are (I don't know how reliable this is though).

Right now the speed of your websites are acceptable to me. What do you use to measure the speed? Is this a visual impression or are you using some kind of tool like Y-slow?

As for the "cleaning bad code", it also depends what you mean. Only the HTML output or do you have any kind of code behind the scene that you want somebody to check? What makes you thing that there is "bad code" to be clean?

mrmuggles, Mar 25, 2013 IP
  7. Julie McElroy

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi,

Thanks for the input - I don't know if my hosting is one of the junk ones. I would love to have a dedicated site, but I just am not there yet. My sites were slow for a couple of days and someone on this forum pointed out a bunch of problems with my script.

It all started with this post about wanting to speed up my sites: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...ad-time-speeding-it-up.2643660/#post-18508213

I appreciate your honesty. Maybe the little tweaks I have done have fixed the sites. ?

Julie McElroy, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  8. mrmuggles

mrmuggles Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Still OK tonight IMO. However I checked with web developer toolbar with Firefox and some of your images could be lighter. For example, this image : http://inspiredtowrite.com/wp-content/banners/WritingBanner.jpg could easily be 20kb instead of 45kb. And so on for a couple of others images. But that's not what will make your website load much faster though. But it still could be an improvement.

mrmuggles, Mar 26, 2013 IP