1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

10 Easy Ways To Speed Up Your Wordpress Site

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by rmgweb, Jan 30, 2013.

Hi!

This is a very important subjet to everyone that has a Wordpress site.

What can I do when we have a site that takes too much to load? In this article you have the answer.

A good hosting company and optimizing the images are some of the common answers to this question. But as you can read in the article there are a lot of other tricks that will help us to have a faster website.

Here is the article:

Read the full article and now how to speed up your Wordpress site here: http://designfestival.com/tips-for-speeding-up-your-wordpress-site/

rmgweb, Jan 30, 2013 IP
    Julie McElroy likes this.
  2. Julie McElroy

Julie McElroy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone else have advice on this? Seems I could speed up some of my sites. I have done many of the things recommended in this article, but could still use more. I think it is video and images. What is the best way to deal with images and videos in a not-so over the top technical way? =)

Julie McElroy, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  3. greboguru

greboguru Member

Best Answers:
    Ensure that the images are correctly sized - there's no point in downloading a 400x400 image if its going to be displayed as a 200x200 image on the page. You could also look at the quality of the images. Reducing the quality of an image will reduce the file size and its download time.

.... this has actually got me thinking about the way we use images on one of our new sites. We've just created a new site using a responsive WordPress template and everything works fine, it all degrades nicely on smaller browser sizes. However the site utilizes a largish banner (910x300) on the home page - the image is correctly sized for the 'normal' layout. However, I've just realised we're currently not changing this banner to reflect the smaller browser sizes. So we're forcing the user to download this large image only to have the browser scale it right down.

In short; you need to look at how you're using the images and whether or not you need all of them. Can the number of images be reduced for those using mobile devices (and are they sized correctly for the device).

With regards to the video, isn't the video downloaded only when its played? I wouldn't have thought it would affect the download speed too much? Unless you didn't have the player?

Thanks

greboguru, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  4. Julie McElroy

Julie McElroy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the tips. I will check out that article. I think this is important as well for people with WP sites.

I could look at the sizes of my images, too - good point. I bet many of them are too large. What other things besides images?

Julie McElroy, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  5. turnpoint

turnpoint Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Be careful about which plugin you use too. If you have a slow loading site try to disable plugins one by one and see if it helps. Consider using a cache plugin too, like WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache

turnpoint, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  6. Waffleguy

Waffleguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget to update WP! I noticed a speed increase when I upgraded to the latest version.

Waffleguy, Mar 16, 2013 IP