1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google - New Algorithm weighting

Discussion in 'Google' started by ipcoweb, Feb 28, 2013.

Hi, I have noticed of late that when doing a search for a term "seo company" in South Africa that more sites are ranking based on Title and Meta description, would you say that Google has adjusted its weighting factors so that it's now focusing more on title and meta-description and the other factors are taking a back seat to the main ranking factors.

ipcoweb, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  2. J.P

J.P Notable Member

Best Answers:
    no one really knows the answers but for this one I would say .. no

I really don't think they would put too much weight in the sites page titles / meta tags (or anything extra of late) as it's a hopeless way of trying to find the best results for a search. People would just be able to stuff the best keywords in the title/meta tags and start to rank.

So again.. no

J.P, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  3. imfusa

imfusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's quite very well known, that if you have your main keywords in your domain name + title + meta description you will be ranking well for those ones.

imfusa, Mar 2, 2013 IP
  4. Deirdre A. Samonte

Deirdre A. Samonte Peon

Best Answers:
    it's still one of the ranking factors but i don't believe google is putting more weight on it than before.

Deirdre A. Samonte, Mar 2, 2013 IP
  5. J.P

J.P Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi and welcome to 10 years ago... if it was that easy why is anyone here asking for advice on SEO... total tosh of a response.

J.P, Mar 3, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  6. imfusa

imfusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Those are the basics of seo. If you have the domain name with the same with your keywords you don't need to work as much as when you have a domain that doesn't include your keyword.
    These are the basic elements for having a good ranking. And yes, the algorithm still have the factors from 10 years ago.

imfusa, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  7. rakesh.swaransoft

rakesh.swaransoft Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes Title and Description is the most important ranking factor for google but no one is certain about what percentage of weightage they give to title & desc.

rakesh.swaransoft, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  8. el deen

el deen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Title is always important and it always has been important. Meta tag is sort of positive factor.

el deen, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  9. ChR0n1k

ChR0n1k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of the things I find is that any SEO and Web Design related keywords dance all over the place in the rankings, regardless of the algorithm updates. I remember a time when you would search "web design (city name here)" you would be served up adwords that said something like "Need a website for your small business? Try Google Places!"

I have a feeling they mess around with these results more than other niches for their own benefit. To get some more solid understanding of the algo changes use a different keyword niche for your control.

My .02

ChR0n1k, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  10. spider_web

spider_web Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I just realized today some of my websites are disappeared from the search engine ranking after searching i heard this news there is a new algorithm which hit the penalties against the over seo and bad seo techniques marketing tactics . Just want to know how many of you effected and how to recov...

spider_web, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  11. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good titles are just one of many ranking factors. But IMHO I believe they are still one of the more important factors.

Jim4767, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  12. Henry Mc Cullum

Henry Mc Cullum Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the Title is Important for ranking but the description had no weighting in Google the most Important thing is unique content of your website.

Henry Mc Cullum, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  13. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Meta description is not a ranking factor, but your sales pitch. While title is important, it's also not the be-all-and-end-all (and Google does rewrite crappy titles). The same with keyword in the domain, which is less effective now. There is a magic formula, as you seem to believe, but an overall approach, strategy. Your head is too buried in the sand, though.

Like J.P said, your SEO is from 10+ years ago.

ryan_uk, Mar 10, 2013 IP
    ChR0n1k and J.P like this.
  14. imfusa

imfusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Meta description is a ranking factor and it matters in front of Google. If you would had the ability to search on Google you would have noticed the keywords matching your query will bold/highlight the keywords that are found in the Title, DESCRIPTION and maybe url, IF it contains them. My head is not buried in the sand, but don't know if i can say the same thing about you.

imfusa, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  15. ChR0n1k

Best Answers:
    Meta description DOES NOT weigh for seo value. I could link you to a hundred articles confirming this, some from the security team at G themselves.

Matt Cutts has said it himself that sometimes they don't even use your meta description.

The bolded keywords do have an advantage, they will most likely increase CTR - but I repeat "NO SEO VALUE" This happened in the late '90s early 2000s

Stop spreading wrong information. Do a search yourself.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    ChR0n1k, Mar 15, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  16. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Cite your source. Oh wait, you can't. But I can.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html

In particular:
    In case you don't realise, that is an official Google blog.

So your head is buried in the sand. As said many times, it's your sales pitch in search results and not a ranking factor. Really, you are stuck in the dark, mythical ages of SEO.

ryan_uk, Mar 15, 2013 IP
    Blogmaster, Jim4767 and ChR0n1k like this.
  17. ChR0n1k

Best Answers:
    ChR0n1k, Mar 15, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  18. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ryan_uk said it right. The Description, as he wrote, is our "sales pitch". For that reason it is important, not for SEO.

Jim4767, Mar 15, 2013 IP
    Blogmaster and ryan_uk like this.
  19. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Very true. People have a tough time unlearning what they once thought would work, it seems.

Blogmaster, Mar 15, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.