1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Super_Vendor

Super_Vendor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate it. When I post on these forums I don't put a lot of effort into how my writing sounds so it's good to hear that you liked it. :)

I agree. I believe music can be a great tool to calm your thoughts and open up the creative side of your brain.

Super_Vendor, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  2. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Many ages ago, I used to play instrumental music in the background when I wrote, if nothing more than to just have noise. I found if I listened to music with lyrics, especially songs I really enjoyed, I'd catch myself slipping and typing out the words in whatever piece of copy I was working on or I'd be more focused on the music than my work. But that all ended when my better half and I moved in together. He works from home as well and let's just say there's no shortage of background noise. lol!

TextServices, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  3. Super_Vendor

Super_Vendor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. That's exactly how I am as well. Well... I won't type the song, but I'll sing along with the lyrics to the point that I'm not actually thinking about words or creating sentences. Instrumental music works greatly for me.

Also, on the main topic of the thread... this is just me... but sometimes I find that a beer or 2, or even a glass of wine, can get the creative juices flowing. But when I do that, I have to close my skype and stay off the forums because those same juices also make me too chatty! LOL And then I don't get any work done!

Super_Vendor, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  4. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. There is nothing wrong with having an alcoholic beverage or two when you're writing or about to write. Sometimes, it can relax the mind and body, allowing the writer to get to the task at hand. It's just a matter of keeping the alcohol consumption in check.

Personally, I can't have alcohol and write. One glass of wine makes me sleepy. If I drink a glass of beer, I'm too mellow and find it harder to think of what I want to say. Now years ago, going through my party stage, when my alcohol tolerance was much higher, I could drink a beer or two and was able to write well. Now, I'm old and my brain needs caffeine and chocolate in order to function properly. lol!

TextServices, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  5. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's difficult to do something you don't really want to, or feel like doing. In my case, I just grit my teeth and type away. This helps loosen my fingers and, while what I may have initially written is pure crap, I am at least able to see my flow of though concerning the subject. It's then a matter of just polishing my work two or three times.

Have a good day!

affilorama, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @affilorama
    Force yourself to bang something out, then come back later and polish it up. Not a bad tip but that may not help with a looming deadline, especially if the client or boss needs the content later on that morning.
    There may be situations that do not allow for this and writing slumps or writers block may last for days. So there may not be a "later" until it's too late.:(

Spoiltdiva, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  7. qsera

qsera Active Member

Best Answers:
    A cup of tea or coffee helps a lot when you are feeling sleepy or not in the mood, but 'have' to write.

qsera, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  8. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    Well there's the Nike answer, Just Do It but that will bring forth this reply I guess: We know about that. (Nike was the greek god(ess) of victory. Just thought I'd throw that in.)

No. One thing I've taken to doing this past year or so is keeping a diary in which I write every day; or at least I mean to. I like writing something, anything there. Just one line most days. That gets things rolling believe it or not. Much easier is, from that point...

axxil, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @axxil
    You're not just writing in a diary, what you are doing with your daily scribblings is soul searching. *This* is what prompts you to write. Discouvering oneself can be a fascinating (and frightening) journey at times.....keep on with the daily entries.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  10. Deceth

Deceth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

If you're not in the mood to write, the secret is to find inspiration. Or motivation. Or something rather like inspiration but suspiciously dissimilar to motivation. Like aggravation.

For example, if you were to punch an inanimate object, you can continue to lack all motivation, but discover inspiration. I don't know why and do not care to elaborate any further.

But clearly, you can see if you close your eyes in a completely dark room, you won't be able to see any better than if you open your eyes. Therefore, if you're not in the mood to write, it doesn't really make a difference, you know, because that's not really the point if the room is in complete darkness. What you need is to turn on a light. Then you can write, even if your not in the mood, because at least you can see what you're typing and that seems like a pretty good first step.

Deceth, Mar 12, 2013 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Deceth
    Writers understand that in order to get in the mood to write one needs to "find inspiration". Why point out the obvious?:cool:
    Kindly tell us *how* you would go about that? The darkened room analogy while interesting, did not provide much in the way of an answer to my thread question.:(

12. Deceth

Deceth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I was entirely unhelpful. Hopefully enough so to cause some aggravation which is not entirely unlike inspiration.

A wise man once said, "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

Deceth, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I'm 100% confident that you will make amends by posting a brilliant solution to my thread question, in the very near future.
    I believe in you!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Deceth likes this.
  14. Deceth

Deceth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The real secret to solving writers block is having a conversation with me. As an evil overlord, it's part of my job to keep my minions motivated. It's my job to inspire greatness for my greater good. It's my job to help you help me, because that sounds like a win-win situation if you say it fast enough.

The best way to achieve this is to dangle a carrot just beyond your minions reach. If you are dealing with someone who does not fancy carrots, you can dangle something else of course, but the objective is the same. Offer a reward for services, this is quite motivating.

Of course, as an evil overlord, I also have an extensive list of threats in cases where carrots prove insufficient. You don't have to be harsh, either. You can simply introduce the writer to your new pet alligator and their imagination will really kick-in. If they're not thinking about their impending demise, they'll be thinking about that article they really need to write.

All that being said, I'm just a fictional character. If you have a writer with writers block, tell them to send me a private message and I will inspire, motivate and aggravate them until they can write again.

I'm a boot camp. I know where to stick my boot.

Of course, actually, the real secret comes back to my very first sentence. Conversation. Get up and talk to someone. Conversations are inspiring. Conversations are how two brains come together to explore each-other and this can be very fascinating. If you have enough conversations, you will always be able to write. Talk to a crazy person. Talk to a cat. Talk to a friend.

Talk to Deceth! I can teach you how to make less than one-hundred billion dollars in thirty days or more, guaranteed!

Deceth, Mar 12, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  15. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't expect to comment further in this thread. A couple of things: someone mentioned music. This is brilliant; I guess I need updated technology that will play hours of music without me intervening. We have an excellent excellent classical music station here in the UK without adverts. But it frustrates me sometimes when the announcers say more than just a few words. (Can't please everyone...) It can distract. Fussy, yes...

Spotdiva mentions connecting with your soul. I remember a writing class I was at decades ago. One participant had no interest in writing, she was accompanying her boyfriend for some reason. Anyway the class facilitator commented how fluent/commendable and so on her writing was. All it was down to was that she kept a diary. An unwitting benefit of that was her great acquired command of the written word.

As I say - just came to my mind.

axxil, Mar 12, 2013 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Deceth...(conversation)
    @axxil......(music)
    At last real answers to my thread question. Praise the lord and pass the collection plate!:)

17. Deceth

Deceth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm...

I guess challenges work too. You challenged me to respond, and so I wrote more than I ever intended. That was very devious. Well done!

Deceth, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Birds of a feather flock together.;)(devious)

19. BayCrazy

BayCrazy Member

Best Answers:
    Well the key is to also learn to write WHEN you're not in the mood.

If you only ever write when you're in a positive and pro-active mood, all of your content will have that tone, and whilst that may be pleasant, it is... in my opinion - less interesting.

You have different thoughts when you are in different moods, and so you should aim to exploit all and any moods for the purposes of your writing.

If you write when you are angry, on a topic that you are passionate about - you can often be more precise and damning, and whilst you may read it back and cringe at the more negative or short-tempered tones of the work, more honest and interesting thoughts may have come out, which, while perhaps embarrassing to you - may be compelling for a reader, and if you are writing for an audience, that matters.

Great artists take advantage of their highs and their lows, because they know they produce different kinds of work in different states. You should also take advantage of this as a writer.

BayCrazy, Apr 8, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @BayCrazy
    Thanks for giving us that entirely different prospective on the topic. I honestly had never given any thought on writing when I'm *not*in the mood. Very original thinking, no one has come up with that so far on this thread but.....interesting point.;)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 8, 2013 IP