1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building a simple "Tube" site.

Discussion in 'Apache' started by 4Dub, Mar 4, 2013.

Hey everyone, This is my first post. I am not only new to this forum, but also to Apache & Hosting in general. I am also new to .HTML & .PHP. So, Basically I am new to everything. Now that we got that clear. I have managed with the help of uTube and Google to set up Apache 2.4 & .PHP, No MySql yet, working on it.

I have around 800 gigs of, Well, You name it. Movies, TV Series, Specials, Music.
    I am trying to make a password protected Tube site that me and a select few can use.
    I have had some success with both a PC and Android browser. But it's far from good.
    This is what I have so far, Where to go next is the question.
    Any feed back suggestions on what I should be researching would be helpful. I am lost at this point, all I know is the basic stuff you see here http://ftp500lite.com

4Dub, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  2. pr0t0n

pr0t0n Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To setup password protected directory using apache .htaccess & .htpasswd you can follow this instructions:
    Create .htaccess file in directory you wish to protect and put this into it:
    AuthUserFile /path/to/your/pasword/file/.htpasswd
    AuthName "No Public Access"
    AuthType Basic
    Require valid-user
    Code (markup):
    In the first line replace /path/to/your/pasword/file/ with actual path on your server. .htpasswd file doesn't have to be in the same folder as .htaccess, and it may be considered more secure to keep it in different folder, possibly some without web access.
    For username/password encrypting for .htpasswd file you can use various online tools or software, but if you are on a linux server you can generate encrypted password using the following command (it will create .htpasswd file and add one user with username testuser):
    htpasswd -c /path/to/your/pasword/file/.htpasswd testuser
    Code (markup):
    Just loose -c part after you have your .htpasswd file created or else it may erase previously added users once it gets executed again.

Since this question was posted in apache section, then my answer is apache related. Additionally you may find some php/cgi directory protection/manager script, which may use different methods, but again it may very possibly use the method I explained with some features for easier user management.

Cheers!

pr0t0n, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  3. 4Dub

4Dub Peon

Best Answers:
    I am on a windows box. I don't know Linux yet. I know, I know, Noob.
    I have tried to make an .htaccess file, but I can't seem to nail it down right. I did get it to lock the file all together. But I can't get the dialog box to pop up for access password. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I also did some more research, I think what I want to do is modify my AUTO-CSS file.
    I want to change the colors on the page, make the file link font larger, add a header &
    Adjust the code so when an individual media file is clicked, code auto opens the default video player and streams the content.

Thanks for the help, Joe.

4Dub, Mar 10, 2013 IP