1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm Re-launching my Directories, What do you think makes a good Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Nicholas Pope, Mar 4, 2013.

I'm in the process of re-launching my directories, please tell me, when you go to a directory to submit your business / website what do you want, what makes it easier for you, in your opinions what makes a quality listing, I will add any features or suggestions that I can just for you guys, the user.

Nicholas Pope, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  2. pradip200

pradip200 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I submit to directories which has the following :
    - SEO friendly website
    - very fast browsing
    - accept both free and paid listing
    - listings are human edited
    - High PR not on a dropped domain

pradip200, Mar 4, 2013 IP
    Nicholas Pope likes this.
  3. Nicholas Pope

Nicholas Pope Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply.

Nicholas Pope, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  4. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see a reason for free listing option. I list websites on my directories for free if I feel they are relevant in categories and i have time to add them in. IMO offering free listing option at signup is more trouble than its worth.

Nima, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  5. Nicholas Pope

Best Answers:
    Really, you would prefer to pay for your listings?

6. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I havent submitted to a free directory in years. As I said in another thread, if a directory owner is not making decent money on it (to have money to invest back into the directory) I generally don't want my sites to be associated with it.

Nima, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  7. Nicholas Pope

Best Answers:
    Thats a pretty fair comment, And I see where you are coming from, so would you pay for a listing that offers both free and paid?

8. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I generally wouldn't. Unless its a directory that's been around for five years or longer and has established its brand

Nima, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I look for...

1. The listings in my category are limited to sites that actually fit that category.

2. The existing listings contain descriptions that are comprised of sentences and not strings of keywords.

3. There are not tons of listings for Indian flower sites.

4. The latest listings have somewhat recent add dates.

5. While not helpful to you, I use my gut. Does this seem like a directory being run by someone who gets it or someone who sees directories as an easy get rich quick scheme?

As to free vs paid...

I own two free niche directories. Both have paid advertising options. One is in transition and isn't making much money. The other has been doing fairly well.

If a directory has free and paid options, I look for more than just placement within the category. If I am paying extra for a review, then I would expect to see longer descriptions, more links or something that explains the upcharge. Simply placing my listing at the top of the category isn't going to get me to fork out much, if any, money. If it is apparent that free listings are ignored, I see that as gamesmanship (maybe even fraud) and wouldn't submit a paid listing no matter how good a value it seemed otherwise.

People submitting to paid directories for PR are playing a risky game. It's never been something I've suggested directory owners base their entire marketing plan around. That said, when submitting, I do like to see at least some category pages with PR...it indicates a generally more healthy site. If the directory owner spends too much time bragging on their PR and not enough on the other aspects of their site, I don't want to be associated with them in any way.

I would love to see a paid directory owner that actually does review the sites. Even if they are rewriting the descriptions, a sentence or two about a site is not a review. I'm not saying they need a page-long critical essay but it would be nice to see an actual description of the site/business.

I have some listings on paid directories - most were from submissions when the directories were young, because they liked my site or in trade. I generally won't pay for listings because too many paid directory owners are selling PR. They can call it 'paid review' all they like. The bottom line is most are selling links and PR. Those few who aren't are few and far between.

YMC, Mar 6, 2013 IP
    pradip200 and Nicholas Pope like this.
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by "relaunching?" Are you having a re-grandopening? Did they close at some point and you are starting them up again?

Mia, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  11. Nicholas Pope

Best Answers:
    I didnt start them very well I'm pretty new to everything to do with internet marketing, So I'm redesigning going to try and add what people want in their listings and any other feature I can that can add value to my directory and its listings, I will be using the latest eSyndicat which looks bloody great now, then I'll anounce them here in about a week or so.

Nicholas Pope, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  12. Zeshan Noor wahgra

Zeshan Noor wahgra Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directory what I really want is easy to add in and searchable via search bar.Business will add there site on your directory only when they think your site is trust worthy.If you want to big back fallen business forget about it.People will not come to you.

Zeshan Noor wahgra, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  13. Nicholas Pope

Best Answers:
    Should I add full business listings including phone, address, google maps?

Nicholas Pope, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  14. Zeshan Noor wahgra

Zeshan Noor wahgra Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do consider all of these items added in Google places listening.In addition to it go through top 5 listening sites.What there methodology is and how they are doing things.Start with local level and move on to country and than international Level.

Zeshan Noor wahgra, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  15. superUPL

superUPL Member

Best Answers:
    Easy to submit, sometimes I find really hard to submit my sites on some directories. Takes ages, is complicated and NOT user friendly :(

superUPL, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  16. Nicholas Pope

Best Answers:
    I have added Address, Phone and twitter feeds to listings if webmasters choose to add them although I am thinking of making phone number compulsory, should I? This is what I have so far www.bawd.co.nz

Nicholas Pope, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suspect many small, online businesses may not be entirely keen to publicly post phone numbers and even street addresses. City and state is something I don't mind, particularly since I've worked with people from around the world and time zones matter. I work from home and rarely, if ever, give direct contact information out to anyone except clients. It's online if they hunt for it but it's not generally something I would want in a directory listing.

YMC, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  18. Nicholas Pope

Best Answers:
    Ok so you dont think I should make it compulsory what about the twitter feed, you think thats ok, what else should I add

19. vna1611

vna1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like only high PR ones

vna1611, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  20. Nicholas Pope

Best Answers:
    Be careful with that