1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Don't use Freelancer.com if you don't want to lose money

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Peter Greene, Jan 12, 2013.

I am extremely disappointed with freelancer.com. It's been almost a year that I haven't used them and when I used the website 3 days ago, it is taking money from my paypal account daily... I don't know but I don't remember subscribing into something related to them and when I checked, they implemented a monthly membership fee of 4.95 or something.

I searched the internet and found tons of complains from their victims...

I read somewhere that they really scam people buy using some bidders. For example, you post a project, their representative will place a bid and when he won, he ask you to create a payment milestone and deposit money. The winning bidder then abandon you. When you contact customer support, they will freeze your fund until the bidder respond - and that won't happen anymore... So they have your funds and you have no chance of getting it back...

Just stay away from Freelancer.com - a company that is not owned by American in US is scary as hell...

Peter Greene, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  2. ethanflynn

ethanflynn Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Peter,

I'm Ethan Flynn, I work for Freelancer.com. I see that you have had some billing issues on our site. I'm here to help you with these and answer any of your questions. Please provide me with your username so I can get your problems fixed right away.

Regards,

Ethan

ethanflynn, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  3. SCOTTHANNAM

SCOTTHANNAM Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the heads up. I was looking into these guys

SCOTTHANNAM, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  4. bettaone

bettaone Active Member

Best Answers:
    That does not sound right that if you did not sign they can take a monthly membership from you. That is against the rules of the FTC. That is why some time back the FTC introduced new rules to stop people with continuity sites doing the wrong thing.

bettaone, Jan 17, 2013 IP
  5. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Freelancer has started charging monthly membership fees for different membership levels since acquiring ScriptLance and another freelancing site (I can't remember the name right off top). If you're being automatically charged you have to go into your Paypal account and remove Freelancer's authorization to charge your Paypal account automatically. Freelance.com does not provide an opt-out option when depositing funds through Paypal. So you have to do this everytime which is annoying as (insert explicit word). I believe it's the same with Skrill Moneybookers. Never hire Freelancers which Freelancer.com recommends in emails notifications they send or has a Sponsor bid highlighting their profile. You should take the time to read the Freelancers' profile reviews and see if they're currently working on any projects, what they have bid on and the duration or elapse of time between projects they've bid on or been hired for. You have to do your due diligence when outsourcing or hiring overseas workers.

muffet, Jan 18, 2013 IP
    GuruCreation likes this.
  6. Brain Copy

Brain Copy Member

Best Answers:
    That's great to know. Thank you.

Brain Copy, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  7. WillisOz

WillisOz Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of Freelancer.com either, especially with all their fees. I used to use Scriptlance but once Freelancer acquired it I moved there along with my old Scriptlance account. I have to say I really miss Scriptlance :( And I'm actually thinking about closing my account due to all the complaints I see everywhere from other Freelancer.com users.

I'm thinking about trying out one of these other big sites like elance maybe. I did stumble upon a signup page for a new freelancer site coming out called Kwikode. Sounds interesting, apparently they're making it similar to Scriptlance and trying to get user feedback for ideas.

WillisOz, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  8. James Byun

James Byun Active Member

Best Answers:
    If they charged it on a credit card, you can contact them, which I`m sure you`ve done by now. If all fails with contacting freelancer.com

James Byun, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  9. Kwikode

Kwikode Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen a lot of hate for Freelancer.com online (and I mean a lot) especially since they acquired Scriptlance. I haven't personally used Freelancer for months now but the main complaints I see are the large amount of fees people are being charged to use their service. The general feel in the community I find is that Freelancers and developers are slowly losing trust in outsourcing marketplaces.

I've been developing a competitor called kwikode.com for a few months now, we're currently in prelaunch. We're basing the whole community on the Scriptlance business model, keeping fees and charges to a minimum and focusing on the success of the community first and foremost. If you want to get involved in a marketplace that cares about it's users, join our forums and tell us what features you'd like us to implement before we launch.

Kwikode, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  10. Bigbash

Bigbash Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nice for sharing. I would like it very much.

Bigbash, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  11. Dracs69

Dracs69 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Freelancer.com just deducted $10+ (in two transactions worth $5.37 each) from my Paypal account! WTF?? They credited it to my Freelance.com Balance and now I can't withdraw it from their site! I just filed a dispute at Paypal and also email Freelancer.com and awaiting for their response. I just hope they take action on this!

Dracs69, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  12. Charles Bisaillon

Charles Bisaillon Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently joined freelancer.com and it actually tells you when you are registering that they give you 1 month free account upgrade and that you need to cancel this if you don't want to be billed. But this is not the reason why I don't look for work on there anymore. The biggest deception with freelancer.com is with the amount of people that bid extremely low, even though they are not qualified for the work. I've seen tons of bids to create complex social networks or technical 3d animations at around 200$. Are we dreaming??? This creates the idea that you have to work for peanuts in order to get the bid. In my book, this is similar to spam.

Charles Bisaillon, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  13. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have never used that site and say THANKS for the warning. That is not good. How can they charge a monthly fee without telling you clearly about it?

I'd try and get my money back. Email them and explain that a monthly service was not your intent.
    Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  14. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Okay, this is great, proactive, problem solving. Hopefully things work out in this case.
    Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  15. timircha

timircha Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Lynn
    What u say about odesk.com? it's reliable or not ?

timircha, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  16. Nagara L M

Nagara L M Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey guys i am doubting freelancer community.i think some people from community sign-up for forumd-digitalpoint and may be making fake conversations and finally end up with positive results so that people can beleive them...i guess.Can i have some people phone numbers?

Nagara L M, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  17. Nagara L M

Nagara L M Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    whome to beleive????

Nagara L M, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  18. neil_buzzerchat_staff

neil_buzzerchat_staff Banned

Best Answers:
    the best freelancing website i remembered was vworker.com and then it was acquired by freelancer.com now that freelancer have different setup like initial setup, doesn't work like vworker at all.

neil_buzzerchat_staff, Nov 23, 2013 IP
  19. Jayne Donnelly

Jayne Donnelly Member

Best Answers:
    I have a ecommerce site and have used freelancer without any problems. I must have been lucky as I still use the original freelancer when I run into problems. Have also posted a design project that didn't work out and received a refund. I received an email from customer service welcoming me and advising to contact them if there was a problem which I did and they resolved it quickly. Floating the company will have made them clean up there act.

Jayne Donnelly, Nov 24, 2013 IP
  20. Puneet Trehan

Puneet Trehan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I had similar problem, Freelancer started monthly subscription charges from my account & even after removing my subscription i was facing same issue, at last i cancelled my creditcard.

Puneet Trehan, Nov 24, 2013 IP