1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SESSION variables in functions

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by highandwild, Feb 24, 2013.

Whilst I have read some responses to the same question in other forums, I still do not understand this.

All I want to so is call a function and declare a session variable in that function which is available in the calling code.

I have file1.php which has session_start and then file2.php is included into this file.
    A function is called from within file2.php and the session variable needs to be available in file1.php.

I have session_start(); in file2.php too.

I am sure that this is fair easy, just not clicked with me yet.

Thanks

highandwild, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  2. PHPascal

PHPascal Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't do more than one session_start in many file, an easy way to prevent this to apen is to set a $_SESSION var after session start and check if exist

if (!isset($_SESSION['open_session']))
    {
    session_start();
    $_SESSION['open_session'] = 'yep';
    }
    PHP:
    For your other bug how to retreive info from file2.php in file1.php in use fonction juste return the info you need in your function.

In file1.php
    $receive_var = function_in_file2(....);

In file2.php
    function function_in_file2(...)
    {
    return $var;​
    }

PHPascal, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  3. manwink

manwink Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think SESSION thing is a global stuff so it doesn't matter inside or out side functions, but what u do with it will affect to this variable by the order of the code which is executed logically. the function session_id() may be able help if you aren't sure whether your session is already there or not. here you can surf for more info: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.session-id.php

manwink, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  4. TestingWhiz1

TestingWhiz1 Member

Best Answers:
    The session is not dependent on any function as it is globally defined.Although if it is possible to call any session through function call, I am also interested to know about it.

TestingWhiz1, Feb 27, 2013 IP