1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Language To Start For Web Development?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by rohit_rocks, Feb 19, 2013.

Hello,
    I have basic knowledge of C,C++
    I want to start with web development. Which is the best language to start with?

rohit_rocks, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  2. innozemec

innozemec Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHP+Mysql is your best bet. There's nothing so far that i wasn't able to create with it

innozemec, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  3. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    English & American I'd say.

No really though, a chosen language would be project specific. One project may require the use of JAVA whereas another may require the use of PHP/MySQL for a more direct web interface approach.

See, not everything in web development is as directly related to web as a lot of people think. Think web development, think maybe on a browser, maybe on a phone, maybe on a different web device such as app development for XBox. They all use different languages.

If you're looking at developing specifically for websites then the main languages used would be HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL/SQL/Java/ASP and possibly even more. It just depends on what the clients requirements are and what would be most appropriate for that given project.

scottlpool2003, Feb 20, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and sarahk like this.
  4. yenerich

yenerich Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go for PHP and C# and you will have projects all the time.
    PHPis powerfull and free, C# is easy and most big clients want it.

yenerich, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    BEFORE you even THINK of a web development programming language, make sure you have a proper and complete understanding of HTML and CSS FIRST!!! -- too many people out there vomiting up PHP code don't know enough about HTML to be developing a blasted thing; which to me is mind blowing given that PHP is a "Hypertext preprocessor" -- it was MADE to output HTML.... Most of what people do with it is output HTML -- so how in the blue blazes can so many PHP 'experts' not even grasp concepts like minimalist semantic markup, separation of presentation from content, and in general have their heads so far up 1997's tuchas you'd need an orthodontist to handle the extraction.

If you know C and C++, PHP should be easy since it's just C in drag with a frilly maid's outfit.... you have no typecasting, all variables start with $, the object model is slightly different -- but most of your C knowledge should work for you. Just beware that a lot of things you might be used to 'brute force coding' already exists in the language as a function -- "Yeah, there's a function for that".

deathshadow, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    badmas, ryan_uk and sarahk like this.
  6. Raghu Kanchiraju

Raghu Kanchiraju Member

Best Answers:
    Hi rojit_rocks!
    First of all, congratulations for choosing to learn web development. Being a web developer myself, I can't tell you enough how exciting and rewarding this field is. You are going to enjoy every bit of it.
    So how does one become a web developer anyway?
    Actually, developing for the web spans many disciplines, is continuously evolving and changes frequently. Mastering even a decent subset of skills might seem daunting. Nonetheless, I encourage you not to deter and go ahead, as a career in web development is a lot fun and not to mention highly rewarding.
    On the top of my head, I would like to divide working for the Web into the following branches:
    1. Server side development:
      • Handles all the server side logic (called "web-app" these days) like creating user accounts, booking a ticket etc
      • Involves serious amounts of coding (better have a degree in Computer Science, but not required)
      • Languages used (in order of easiness): PHP>>Python=Ruby>>Java
    2. Client side development:
      • The "interface" to your application, this is what the user sees and interacts with in order to experience your application
      • Needs some creative thinking in addition to being better at coding
      • Languages used: HTML+CSS+Some library of Javascript like jQuery, Prototype etc
    3. Multimedia
      • All the images, animations, videos that are used to present information to the visitor
      • Better enrol yourself in a course somewhere if you want to get into this
      • Tools used: Abode Creative Suite, GIMP, Inkscape etc
    4. Analytics
      • This area deals with questions like who is visiting your site? what are they doing on it? what they are looking for? why are they not buying? etc
      • Some web development experience coupled with marketing and analytical intuitiveness would do you good
      • Start with Google Analytics (which is free)
    5. Content
      • This is what motivates the users to engage with your website
      • Good English, a grasp on creative speech and perhaps some sense of humour are mandatory
      • These skills can be picked up from anywhere!
    All in all, this is how I see it. There are plenty of tutorials on the web these days (most are free) for almost anything you want to do. All one has to do, is commit oneself to learning with discipline.
    Some places to begin with are CodeAcademy-dot-com, Nettuts blogs, Treehouse etc.
    Happy coding!

Raghu Kanchiraju, Feb 23, 2013 IP
    badmas and ryan_uk like this.
  7. eCommMax

eCommMax Active Member

Best Answers:
    CSS, JavaScript/jQuery, PHP. These are extremely useful in web development, there're plenty of resources on the net for learning them.

eCommMax, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  8. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with deathshadow, HTML and CSS are the first step. You don't need to be able to make it look beautiful (your graphics designer will do that), but you do need to be able to write valid HTML, know how a document should structured, know how to use CSS for presentation, make sure your code is not bloated, know how to implement your designer's pretty design as a web page. Make sure you validate your HTML and CSS. Test it in multiple browsers (the evil called Internet Explorer can cause the biggest headaches and some companies are still stuck at IE6/7, so might be your customers!).

Once you're comfortable with HTML and CSS, PHP will be very easy to pick up. While MySQL is a popular choice, it's also worth learning about others such as PostgreSQL, and use whichever the client demands (or meets their needs the most, e.g. data integrity and security, then PostreSQL). There's always Python, but PHP has more of a change of being reusable for you (it's just more in demand).

ryan_uk, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  9. Siegfried

Siegfried Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    well, you need to know html and understand css - this helps a lot. If you are into C/C++ than you should go for PHP, which is very similar. dont be bothered with ruby or java.
    Best Regards

Siegfried, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  10. celestiasybila

celestiasybila Peon

Best Answers:
    Web development is mainly accomplished by some other languages like PHP , ASP cause the purpose of the C and C++ is different and we have to do more to enable these languages for web development. So that is why we have the best and easy choices of above mentioned languages.

celestiasybila, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  11. River J

River J Member

Best Answers:
    PHP and mysql is a big deal but make sure you have understanding in HTML and CSS and formatting a site first

River J, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  12. Albert Barkley

Albert Barkley Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHP is the best language if it is used with combination of MySQL, HTML and CSS.

Albert Barkley, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  13. Mohammad Asif Ali Zaman

Mohammad Asif Ali Zaman Member

Best Answers:

i think you go for HTML+PHP+Mysql...

14. VanessaMeacham

VanessaMeacham Member

Best Answers:
    Hi ! personally I like PHP and Asp both but if you want to start with Web Development then you should prefer PHP.

VanessaMeacham, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  15. Mohammad Asif Ali Zaman

Mohammad Asif Ali Zaman Member

Best Answers:
    yes you are right dear

16. marketingwithjack

marketingwithjack Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I started with PHP, and I've been able to make the websites that I wanted to thus far.

marketingwithjack, Mar 10, 2013 IP
  17. sandylabs

sandylabs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend Scala (w. Play Framework) or Ruby/RoR

sandylabs, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  18. Nathan Malone

Nathan Malone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on what type of programming you want to get into, but regardless of the language you choose to start out with, if you come to a solid understanding of fundamental programming principles, you can learn subsequent languages fairly easily.

Nathan Malone, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  19. VideoWhisper.com

VideoWhisper.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are different languages for sites and applications for different OS or devices.
    First decide what you want to do and then start with the most popular language for that platform.

VideoWhisper.com, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  20. markjayswal

markjayswal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Learn PHP+Mysql it is best for web development because of it is easy for beginner.
    Sample Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <meta charset=utf-8>
    <title>PHP Test</title>
    <?php
    echo 'Hello World';
    ?>

markjayswal, Mar 13, 2013 IP