1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What does DP think?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by politicsreporter, Feb 26, 2013.

So recently I had the idea to start a website (blog actually) that is set up like a newspaper. The purpose is not to report real world news. The newspaper will be built around a fictional country and will be reporting on that countries politics etc. It will be very relate able to people of the modern world. Has anyone ever done this successfully? I would find a website like this extremely interesting and would probably read it everyday. Your opinions?

For example I could set up the newspaper something like nytimes with pqtimes (just an example) or I could make it countrynametimes or it could be some latin words that stand for freedom :p

politicsreporter, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  2. kulik

kulik Member

Best Answers:
    Why one country when you could start The Onion? Oh wait...think that exists.

Why would anyone search for a fake country and their news? When I wake up in the morning I am certainly not concerned about what happened in Zimbobafuk.

kulik, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  3. politicsreporter

politicsreporter Peon

Best Answers:
    Something like the Onion. Many people would be disinterested, however I feel that many people would find it really entertaining. Also the Onion is not purely fictional. I think it is interested because it allows readers to watch a story unfold one day at a time.

politicsreporter, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  4. trak

trak Active Member

Best Answers:
    As long as it is entertaining and somehow educational, I think people will like it.

trak, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The wit will need to be sharp and relevant but it could work. Fake Steve Jobs worked, this could too

sarahk, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  6. politicsreporter

politicsreporter Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree the wit would need to be sharp and the articles in general very informative.

politicsreporter, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  7. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You know I just Googled "fake news" and the sites that came up at the top are not cream of the crop. So you might have something good going there.

qwikad.com, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  8. politicsreporter

politicsreporter Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, thats what I thought. I will do some more research, I already have the domain.

9. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You know though, if I were you, I would rather create your website on a web 2.0 property.

Websites like Tumblr & Squidoo are filled with crowds that are looking for something entertainment to read. You idea sounds really interesting, and can go viral. It's easier to go viral if you build your content where the traffic is already located :)

That's just my opinion though. I had a friend that had a cool entertaining idea to post on the web, and he became viral on tumblr for something so simple. His traffic was 1,000+ visitors /day LOL!

coloma21, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  10. politicsreporter

politicsreporter Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with tumblr is that once you are on tumblr you are almost always forever on tumblr. It doesn't allow for much leg room.

11. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Here's the thing though. You are more likely to rank your website in google when using Web 2.0 platforms like tumblr... but then again, it's up to you! Ultimately, you know what's best for your business :)

coloma21, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  12. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hiya - It's an interesting idea! But would it be satirical like the onion? Or would you be setting out to be giving insights about world affairs?

I also wonder how you would monetise the site. Though, I suppose if you had a wide range of people visiting you could just stick up some CPA offers.

Keep us informed! It's good to hear original ideas.

Malc :)

malcsimm, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  13. politicsreporter

politicsreporter Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback, not satirical like the Onion more pointed towards insight. I will keep you informed.

politicsreporter, Feb 28, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  14. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Good luck ;-)

malcsimm, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  15. politicsreporter

politicsreporter Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, I will need it :D It will take a while to get things up and running at maximum.

politicsreporter, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  16. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Haha - I know what you mean :-| Unfortunately none of my projects get finished super-fast either!

Ho hum :)

malcsimm, Mar 2, 2013 IP
  17. politicsreporter

politicsreporter Peon

Best Answers:
    It always takes far too long to get projects off the ground. Anyone have any feature suggestions?

politicsreporter, Mar 2, 2013 IP
  18. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Hi again
    Are you asking how to get your own project started?

I can help I currently have [*counting*] sixteen projects active. Some of these are quite small: in fact I define a project as anything having more than a few steps to it. Others are major - like "redevelop website".

The main thing with managing projects is to make sure you always have one or more "to dos" for every project you have.

If you only have one project going on, which is unlikely, then that is pretty straightforward. But if you have a number of projects you just have to check that.

Then create three lists called: "now", "next", and "soon".

Any to-dos you put into your Now list are the ones you intend to work on today. You probably won't need more than five or six in there at the most. Work your way through them. When they are running a bit short, then move one or two tasks from your Next list into it.

At the end of the day, or first thing in the morning, check your now, next and soon lists and make sure everything is in the place you want to be. Move any tasks which have become more urgent into your Now list.

This is part of the system which you can use every day to keep yourself efficient. I describe it in this post if you are interested in reading more.

http://heymalc.com/time-management-made-really-easy-gtd-evernote

I hope this helps your project management!

If you just make sure that every project has at least one to-do if you just make sure that every project has at least one to-do associated with it in your to-do lists, then your projects will look after themselves ;)

Malc

malcsimm, Mar 4, 2013 IP