1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disk Space Issue

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by ashley76, Feb 22, 2013.

Currently I do not have the issue below, but I do see it becoming a problem rather quickly. My current site (which I started really posting content on a couple of weeks ago) has seen a tremendous growth in traffic from about 10 page views a day (a couple of weeks ago) to averaging about 1500 a day since then.

I am on a shared server, but my disk usage is almost at 3gb! (That's in a couple of weeks.) The next level up in hosting has a 20gb disk space limit (which I am thinking I am going to have to go to rather quickly because I am constantly exceeding max limits on the current level of hosting). At the rate I am going, it looks like I will increase disk space at about 3gb a month.

Are there any ideas out there for saving on disk space?

Check out my site below to get an idea of what type of site it is and to get a feel of why I use so much disk space. Also maybe hosting alternative if it comes to that. To be honest adsense gets me about .50 to 1.00 a day. Not nearly enough to cover hosting fees...

www.lethalfarce.com

ashley76, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I looked at your site, and I'm not really sure what would be using that much disk space, or why it would increase substantially over time. Are there a bunch of images or downloads or videos or something that I'm not seeing?

$0.50 - $1.00 per day in adsense should be able to get you a lot more disk space than you currently have. That's anywhere from $15-$30/mo. which will definitely get you quality hosting with a higher disk space. If $15/mo. isn't enough to cover 20GB of disk space, you're paying way too much.

WSWD, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  3. ashley76

ashley76 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Comic previews are what's taking up space. I post about 40-50 new previews a week with about 4-10 comic pages around 900X1400 for each image. Also I use siteground if that helps...

ashley76, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I looked at Siteground, and they appear to be one of those infamous "unlimited" everything hosts. You have a disk space limit with them?

WSWD, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  5. ashley76

ashley76 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No not currently, but I am on the lowest hosting option they have. If I move up one, it is $30.00 a month with 10% less users, but 20gb disk space...

ashley76, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  6. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are upload large number of files, make sure you comply with following siteground terms:

No more than 150,000 inodes per account.

If you are expecting high traffic and disk usage requirement, I suggest you to go for VPS hosting.

- Kailash

kailash, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  7. Ghan_04

Ghan_04 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I prefer VPSes over shared hosts in pretty much every situation. It gives you so much more flexibility in what you can do since you get root access on your own VM. The trick then would just be finding a good quality provider with ample disk space.

Ghan_04, Feb 25, 2013 IP