1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bilingual Wordpress without duplication, how to?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Erik Twice, Feb 21, 2013.

Hi everyone.

After treating it like a funny distraction I decided to blog a bit more seriously and I've decided to look for a way to merge my blogs into one. Currently I have two cloned wordpress accounts, one for articles in Spanish and another one for articles in English:

http://eriktwicedoesitagain.wordpress.com/
    http://eriktwicelohaceotravez.wordpress.com/

This is a pretty inefficient setup which splits visits and makes it more annoying to work with. I was wondering how could I merge them without repeating each article twice or cluttering the interface.

Ideally the blog would change from one language to another by pressing a button, in a similar way to the one it's set up now.

How could I do this? Thanks in advance!

PD: I know the site is janky, hope it doesn't bother you =P

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Erik Twice, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  2. TwitTwit

TwitTwit Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm afraid you don't have much options here since you are using wordpress.com.

If you decided to go with self hosted WordPress, you can use qTranslate plugin that will handle multi languages nicely.

TwitTwit, Feb 23, 2013 IP
    CMNS likes this.
  3. Erik Twice

Erik Twice Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, thanks for the responses!

I don't know much about this so I haven't. Any recommendations?

I've been told this is possible and apparently not too hard to do but I have no idea how to start. Your parent category idea seems close to what I've been told.

Keeping both URLs is not neccessary, I would rather keep the English one than have two different URLs.

That's a good idea. How can I look for themes that do that? Wordpress search doesn't have a filter for it.

qTranslate looks nice if it allows me to translate my own articles, but I can't host my own Wordpress yet so it's not a possibility.

Thanks a lot, really. :)

Erik Twice, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  4. Erik Twice

Erik Twice Peon

Best Answers:
    You can but it's only basic stuff, like changing colors and other similar things.

Erik Twice, Feb 26, 2013 IP