1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Can I List My Site At Dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Veer Nayar, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Don't know how accurate this is,
    As previously stated by several editors, the only purpose of DMOZ is to provide a hobby for the editors anything else that it may provide is an unintended bonus.

joeventura, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  2. pradip200

pradip200 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes DMOZ do accept websites with adsense on it. It already accepted two of my websites. You need to submit in appropriate category.

pradip200, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  3. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

And what category would that be?

joeventura, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  4. pradip200

pradip200 Active Member

Best Answers:
    An astrology site owner may choose a category from the available subcategories here
    http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Religion_and_Spirituality/Divination/Astrology/

pradip200, Feb 21, 2013 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  5. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think it is painfully obvious that the getting a site into DMOZ and the wait is ridiculous nobody can argue this. I can go to every seo forum in world and this topic is there and it is full of posts. Its frustrating no doubt. What is the most frustrating thing to me is that in every forums I have seen two things happen. People post frustrations about not getting into DMOZ and a I would assume DMOZ editor belittles them.
    I actually got into a tiff with one at another forum over same subject.

I think if DMOZ editors spent as much time reviewing websites as they did belittling people in forums DMOZ wouldn't have the reputation it does. This is from experience, not just bashing. This is a common thread on many forums .

BTW, I am 100% positive I have ruined any chance of ever getting into DMOZ with my little spiel. :)

dogma72, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly do you mind if I tell you how to spend your evenings? How you must spend your free time? Would that be a problem to you?

I am sure you want to spend your free time as you wish and so do DMOZ editors. If they wish to spend their time on here trying to tell people how DMOZ works when some silly people come on promising sites listed in weeks, do they not have that right? And remember every minute spent on editing is also in their spare time and is unpaid. Yes all editors get is abuse from people like you that think they can tell editors how they should spend their spare time.

How much spare time do you put into DMOZ? Oh you have not bothered to volunteer but you feel you can criticise those who do for not doing enough. You are a joke.

But let me tell you the good news, your site will be listed, if it complies with guidelines, when an editor working in their spare time volunteers to work in that area and choses to use suggestions. Any spat you have will not affect your site. In fact if you ask Q a regular poster on here, who constantly has running battles with editors and AOL policy, he will tell you that he has a site listed and it was taken down when the site was down and then returned when it returned. I am glad to say that DMOZ is bigger than some spat you might have with an editor or several of them.

But ask yourself why there is frustration. DMOZ has always had a policy of not being interested in any value that a listing might give a site. OTHERS have used DMOZ material and listings to give value to those sites, which is completely at odds with the published values of DMOZ. So if a listing gets credence ask who gives it, say Google, but many dispute they use DMOZ, but let's say Google. Then should you not complain to Google that they use a directory which uses volunteers and when sites get reviewed is unpredictable. Perhaps they should always have used a paid directory, so that if you pay you get in. Then it could have added value to loads of spammy sites who paid money. But your argument is not with DMOZ it is with those who use the directory KNOWING that getting a listing is unpredictable, argue with them, not with the editors who are a bunch of hobbyists just following their hobby of collecting and collating sites for the benefit of end users NOT site owners.

Anonymously, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  7. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Actually I tried to be an editor but was denied because of conflicting interest because I have a website. So you sir are the joke for opening your mouth and making a comment without prior knowledge.

But for rest of your spiel, just post blah blah blah next time. Anyway, I wont respond to this thread anymore. I have had prior experience with this type thing is why I commented. You just comment to be a troll.

dogma72, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well thats a blatant lie :( Owning a website or owning 100 websites is no issue, as long as you declare the relationship and treat them identical to how any other websites are treated. If your own sites are compliant to the guidelines, then you can list them. I have 2 sites listed in DMOZ, i operate around 10 sites in total but the other 8 are non-compliant and cant be listed.

I would guess that you were denied for not fully disclosing, or not being honest, if this post is an indication of your honesty. Seems our Metas did a great job :)

snooks, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  9. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes you are proving my point fully about DMOZ editors. No need to post anymore, you do fine for yourself.

dogma72, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  10. dogma72

dogma72 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you guys jumped on a submission like you do flaming in a thread DMOZ might be a decent little directory.

Matter of fact, I think this is probably a more logical place to submit a site to DMOZ since all the editors seem to be here in this thread. :)

dogma72, Feb 21, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.