1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Requesting Link Removals - SEO Gone Mad?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Andrew Futcher, Feb 19, 2013.

The SEO world has literally gone Mad; I make this statement out of genuine dismay that people are now suing each other over links and others are charging to remove them (see news on DP homepage: Webmasters Sending Link Modification Requests). Does anybody seriously believe that Google would devaluate your site just because another webmaster/website over whom you have no control, posts a link to your webpage? The internet is (and IMHO will always be) a free ‘cyberspace’, where anybody can share or link to anyone else without reprisal.

Let us not underestimate the significance of this moment. The harm to the SEO industry as a whole could be catastrophic if the industry becomes tainted by the threat of lawsuits, regardless of the outcomes. Up till now people have been quite happy paying to boost their rankings, but can you imagine the confusion if legal concerns are thrown into the mix? Personally, I think that (as I write this) Google’s unwillingness to integrate its already shoddy disavow tool into the webmasters control panel further begs more questions about their motives behind sending such requests?

It is ridiculous and I’m just going to come out and say it (somebody has to):
    The SEO community is avoiding the elephant in the room: Content:- virtually every static word written on every single webpage affects the ranking of that page.

It is time that all SEO professionals take charge of what/which words are written on their clients/customers webpages, for 2 very good reasons;
    • Because it has a direct influence on outcomes and effectiveness of their work, that means as a professional you owe that to your clients if you take their money.
    • Because otherwise Google is going to continue to knock the effectiveness of links in each update to follow until the point comes where madness descends (as has already begun with suing over link removals - and its only going to get worse).

Even this very thread I write on now, the words I have chosen *here* will not only reflect which keywords this page is relevant for, but also how well this page actually ranks in Google.

Andrew Futcher, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  2. Andrew Futcher

Andrew Futcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been working on the solution to this for some time, and have made good progress, but I am genuinely gobsmacked at how many SEO blissfully leave the content writing to their customers, copywriters or in the worst cases spun content. The very definition of a search engine is to find/match content/information, not count the number & quality of links (some may not like me saying that but its fact), and Google is simply turning back to this philosophy, on the back of new technology. And it is this new technology which people do not understand and is causing such confusion: rankings are changing, links are taking the blame and it seems only the lawyers are rubbing their hands together in glee about it.

There are 3 easy ways you can see which words are Good for your website (relevant) and which words are Bad. Of these, 2 are FREE: (as are the best things in life?)

1. Google is just a process, it uses all its indexed pages to assess word ‘relationships’ on a massive scale. It uses it’s algorithm to determine the relevance and covered topics, and cross-references these with the relevant content around it. If a new concept with some new terminology went viral, the algorithm would automatically detect the relevancy of the new phrase, and be punting it in search rankings long before any Google staffer might have heard about it. Just a hand full of prominent articles indexed can suddenly change the meaning (relevancy) of a series of words dramatically, and have knock on effects, this value of relevancy seems to be largely underestimated in the SEO industry. To this end you can combine any word with your primary keywords in a google search, find out for yourself exactly if any word is relevant/suitable or not. See the video at the bottom of this post for a simple example of this effect at work.
    2. You can use the free SEO tool available at www.Qubot.com.au to assess any website versus the keywords you are targeting, you will be able to use this methodology in the first. Qubot makes it easier and quicker to spot problems and test the words. The tool is available on the Qubot homepage and takes only a few minutes to generate each report from a live webpage.
    3. Regular paid-up Qubot customers get an account which allows for easier management of multiple reports, regular report scheduling, Geo-targeting and various other value-added features. The fundamentals of the reports are the same – ie even the free-access reports are fully-featured.

DIY Relevancy Check Video:

Andrew Futcher, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  3. smellyfinger

smellyfinger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    From our experience, we can say that Google is no different from life - its as simple and complex as you make out of it. After going through all complexities, now we hardly care about technical stuff. We just concentrate on projects that we are passionate about and develop a site from point of view of reader (as what we expect from a site, when we land on it via Google).
    Once you stick to these fundamentals, rest be assured your site will be successful one. Its just about matter of time.

smellyfinger, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  4. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Hear, hear!

Traditional SEO (which doesn't work any more), was all about links. Now it's all about the content.

Winagain, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  5. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So, we should just get back to the basics, huh?

First page rankings with white hat techniques?

LMAO!

Holla!~

GuruCreation, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  6. Andrew Futcher

Andrew Futcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    Valid assessment; the only difference is these "basics" you refer too, aren't so basic anymore...

I am not suggesting we totally ignore the value of links, just that we as professionals should diversify ourselves to encompass *everything* that makes up the art of 'SEO', and on-page content cannot/must not be ignored less we do ourselves a massive disservice.

Andrew Futcher, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  7. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I rank sites on the first page without content all the time...

Strictly white hat techniques done both manually and with software...:)

Holla~!

GuruCreation, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  8. chetanvh07

chetanvh07 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi guys does generation high priority backlinks such as (.edu or .gov) is useful for site ranking ? or by generating those links it will drop the rank of the site in google SERP ?

chetanvh07, Feb 20, 2013 IP