1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Switching Domain Name & Web Hosting Of My Blog Entirely To New Company

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Nikhi;, Feb 12, 2013.

Hello,
    I own a wordpress blog. I registered it with the company named CIPL. Now I want to switch total website & hosting service to another company's service. Please tell me step by step procedure to do this. Also let me know,
    - How much time it will take to switch my entire blog to another hosting plan?
    - Would this switching affect backlinks to my blog?

Nikhi;, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  2. rafijaan

rafijaan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It will not take much time max 1hr, No transferring you files from one server to another will not effect your page ranking.

kingsizevps.com/

rafijaan, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  3. Jesse27

Jesse27 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That depends on how fast you do it ;)
    Just make sure you backup your database and wordpress site then transfer the DNS records of your domain to your new hosting provider.

Jesse27, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  4. PhantomXS

PhantomXS Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    All you need to do is backup your homedirectory and database.
    I have done several for my clients and it largely depends on the size of the database and directory. Just restore the home directory contents followed by database. Add a new user and assign it to the database in new hosting. Then change your wp-config.php file in wordpress with new access details for the database and you are good to go :)

PhantomXS, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  5. antpeks

antpeks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    idd, like PhantomXS said, just backup all files from the root and underlying directories, make a copy of the database and you are good to go. upload all the files to your new account and alter the DB in wp-config.php

Offcourse when you have a large database it can be sometimes a pain in the ass to import, there are some tools for it to help you with, like bigdump (http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/) or a MySQL import thru the shell account on the server, or maybe your new hoster will help you with that (we do that for new customers)

[LIST=1]
    [*]Start by uploading the .sql file onto the server
    [*]If you haven't already done so, create the MySQL database via the controlpanel.
    [*]Using SSH, navigate to the directory where your .sql file is.
    [*]Next run this command: 
     mysql -p -u username database_name < file.sql
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Note:[/COLOR] The -p will prompt for your account's password.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Note:[/COLOR] username is the user with rights to the database. 
    [/LIST]

Code (markup):

antpeks, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  6. cochisetm

cochisetm Member

Best Answers:
    You can also avoid downtime by getting everythinig setup with your new host using a new domain or sub-domain of an existing domain. Once you are satisfied everythinig looks good, do one final DB dump and then change your name servers and/or DNS records to resolve to the new host and everythinig will be there as DNS propagates.

cochisetm, Feb 15, 2013 IP