1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will Google Results Be Better With Social Signals?

Discussion in 'Google' started by cjsewell, Feb 8, 2013.

What is your opinion about Google using social sites to help provide better search results? Will that really improve the accuracy of results?

cjsewell, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Obviously it's just one of thousands of ranking factors, but it makes sense when you think about it... if everything else is equal, if people are talking about site A and not site B, I'd say there's some sort of probability that site A is a better site than site B.

digitalpoint, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It has to be a ranking factor imho. It's validation your site is quality and not just popular because of aggressive SEO. Although I do feel that the importance of social SEO is overstated by many people it's nowhere near as important as most will have you believe.

dcristo, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't really think there's *anything* that's individually super important.

digitalpoint, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I completely agree. If it was super reliant on any one factor it would be very easy to manipulate. I think most SEOs forget this basic idea.

dcristo, Feb 9, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  6. SeoDump

SeoDump Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    social is ranking factor because the more HUMAN interaction is there ... the more relevant content is there .. and it may lead to more page value and Offcourse links value ...

SeoDump, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  7. zippy1nut

zippy1nut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In today's GOOGLE, you must dot all your L's and cross all your T's. The best well rounded websites are winning this game....

zippy1nut, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  8. MikeQ

MikeQ Member

Best Answers:
    Well, there is lots of discussion about it, but you have to test it practically, but according to my knowledge it doesn't help a lot.

You can easily get so many traffics from social sites, it doesn't mean that your ranking would improve, you h ave to follow other things too.

It would be better if you concentrate on content creation as well.

MikeQ, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  9. vigilante

vigilante Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    From what I've seen, social has a temporary boost on rankings, but when the tide of likes/shares etc dies down your back to square one. That's purely anecdotal though - now based on big data. A successful Youtube channel however, can do permanent wonders - it's great content, that can rank in it's own right and can be great for conversions and brand building.

vigilante, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Opinions about what's best right now for SEO are like noses — everybody's got one. So here's another one (opinion that is).

Imagine the impossible: say you had links to your home page from the home pages of, say, Adobe, NBC, and Harvard University. I have a hunch your traffic to that page, plus your rankings for keywords on it, would go through the roof. My point? — LINKS are still very important. Not garbage links from worthless free directories and the like, but high-quality links from reputable websites.

Jim4767, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  11. ChrisRey

ChrisRey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Of course, we know when you are logged in, social factors can come into play in how you see search results. but still, links are more powerful than social signals.

ChrisRey, Feb 17, 2013 IP
  12. gezha

gezha Member

Best Answers:
    My site improve a lot in SERP when i submit it to social media..
    well i think yes :)

gezha, Feb 17, 2013 IP
  13. Technoduce

Technoduce Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Actually there is no big difference in google using social sites to help provide better search results and this does not influence the accuracy of the results.

Technoduce, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  14. prawyyy

prawyyy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it might have some influence on search results but it's more likely that this will have an impact on advertising that we see.

prawyyy, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  15. Aparna13

Aparna13 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you get better result if your site/post get good of google+ support

Aparna13, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  16. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt that Google will place too much emphasis on this. Afterall it can be manipulated. All you need to do as an SEO guru is to bombard a social media site with spammy links to a client site and you'd boost your way the Google rankings in no time if it was just about social media. Google takes into account many factors

lightlysalted, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  17. Hectorix

Hectorix Member

Best Answers:
    Links? Content is the King.

About social signals. I would consider social sites only for getting some extra traffic. More important IMHO is quality content and returning visitors to your sites.

Hectorix, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  18. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Content is indeed very, very important. But it's links that drive traffic to your great content. It's not an "either-or"; it's a "both-and" situation — great content being discovered through quality links. Think about this: even the search engine results pages (SERPs) are simply a collection of links with brief descriptions. Search engine links, granted, but links nonetheless. It's links that make it the internet.

Jim4767, Feb 27, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  19. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    In my opinion, I think so. At this point in time, they can't determine what social signals are fake, but I'm sure they can in the future.

But, although they integrate social signals, they will always rely on High PR Links as one of the major influences in a website's ranking. Think about it, if CNN linked to your website, how can you not rank it? lol

coloma21, Feb 27, 2013 IP