1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Piss Poor Dollar to Sterling Rate - Any Options?

Discussion in 'Payments' started by T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2006.

Considering the dollar is worth next to nothing nowadays, are any of the British/European (same for Euro I guess) DPers considering leaving their AdSense credits in their account or maybe banking them in the US waiting for better rates?

Paying AdWords in £££ and getting AdSense in $$$ is such a bad deal it's unreal.

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  2. DaMa

DaMa Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i signed up for adwords a few weeks ago and was shocked that it deals with euros while my adsense account is in dollars. I guess there's not much we can do but hope for better times but i doubt the dollar will go up again anyday.

DaMa, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Google isn't worth billions for no reason. They're the clever ones.

Best would be to accumulate dollars, go on holiday to the US/Asia and live like a king there rather than converting it to a feq Pounds/Euros and making the banks/Google rich.

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  4. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With the Euro is the same sh*t.
    But who knows if the dollar will go up in the near future?
    1, 2 maybe 3 months we can hold the payments, but more than that...There are things to be payed. :p
    I didn't hold any payment until now, maybe i'll do it in january if the dollar stays like this.

Jarodboy, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  5. astrodude

astrodude Peon

Best Answers:
    if you hold your payments waiting for a better exchange rate, you run the risk of loosing everything to the Google Random Banning Monster.

Is it possible I wonder for us in the UK to open a dollar bank account?

astrodude, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    In some other forums I've seen UK based people mentioning Citibank allows you to open one.

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  7. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I opened a US Dollar a/c and deposit my Adsense earning in US Dollar.

When the exchange rate becomes favourable or when i need to use the $ i change to my currency.

infonote, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Which country are you from and in which country did you open the $ account though?

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  9. discoverclips

discoverclips Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you can have google send you the money in USD currency.
    Go to your bank and open a dollar account, save all your google money there and wait for the dollar to increase in value, then sell it :)

discoverclips, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  10. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    A dollar account isn't easy to get though. And I hardly pay for things in dollars either.
    I'm betting on the Euro to stay strong, with all that debt the US has. So my money is safer in Euro land, I think. Though it is a bummer that the Dollar is so low. I think the increase in payments this month may just be canceled out by the lowering of the value of the dollar this month (for me). :(

[when I finish my studying, I do consider moving to India, if I can stand the climate]

kh7, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  11. frisby

frisby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Damn we are just lost 5% over the night. I have almost all my earnings in $ at the bank... Damn... :mad: :mad:

frisby, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  12. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    PayPal is even worse actually. You get screwed over with dollar to pound conversions there more than anywhere else.

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  13. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried banking mine to my U.S. accounts but support said the bank needed to be in our home country thats recorded in the account.

Flip, I must ask them again and see if I can get a different answer, although the Euro isnt getting stung as bad as the Pound.

cormac, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  14. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to work for Barclays Bank in the UK and if you have a UK sterling account with them, you can also open up a UK based dollar (or other major currency) account with them - just call their customer service number and they will put you through to the right people.

This isn't an endorsement of Barclays by the way...I can tell you from working there for 3 years that they are an extremely inefficient company and not quite customer focused enough, but at least you could get a US dollar account with them!

BuenosAires, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  15. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    LOL - Old Barclays just only posted a profit of £7bn yet they can't afford UK based telephone support and shipped it all off to India. I wouldn't say they are inefficient but greedy.

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  16. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    In the UK you should be able to open a dollar account and bank the cheques that way, as you're a business it should be very easy to open a dollar account. I don't think you'd be able to use electronic transfer though.

dct, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  17. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    Seriously, you have to try working there - I've been at many companies, large, medium and small, and Barclays was easily the most inefficient.

But yes, they are greedy too! And shipping telephone support of to India shows how they don't value customer service enough.

Anyway, they have UK based dollar accounts, but then that makes me think most other UK banks with have them too.

BuenosAires, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    We do have a dollar account - I was more trying to discuss this in terms of 'small time'/personal AdSense income and raising the issue of poor conversion rates in general.

Dollar accounts seem the way forward then, thanks all for the input.

Conveniently, Google has based AdWords in Dublin so we pay strong British Pound Sterling and yet they ship dollars back in. Cringe...

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  19. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    If you are limited in UK your bank should simply open a currency account.
    Just check any costs associated with them....
    They tend to get you on transfers...

Payment gateways often simply want a one off fee for additional currency - maybe worth the money.

I've suppliers that I pay in USD and other costs like hosting or any special development I tend to pay in USD or CAD.

It's also worth concidering buying any non tangible goods like software etc via US or even cough up the VAT and ups/dpd fees for imports.
    Thats what I often use excess PP USD balance for.....

Transfering USD to other currencies if the amount is reasonably large
    open an xe trading account.

Expat

expat, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  20. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    I know tell me about it im getting totally screwed with this, apparantly is going to get lower and lower too

ThraXed, Dec 2, 2006 IP