1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Things Needed To Start A Social Network??

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Zummatul, Feb 14, 2013.

I am planning on making a social network on gaming
    I hae already bought script for it Php fox and talked to programmers about hiring
    I am confused about what things are most important and what thing do i need to start it?
    like how much space and other things in hosting??

Solved! View solution.
    Zummatul, Feb 14, 2013 IP
    your question is really vague but I will answer it as best I can

You need an FTP program. I use winSCP but there are many other
    You need a viable hosting company. A shared server would work best at first. I use HostGator but the decision is yours. I am still on a shared server running 40gigs of http bandwidth a month and so far I have not been cussed at.
    You need a separate registrar for the domain you wish to use. I use NameCheap but the decision is yours
    You need to have an idea on how to program with the applicable programming languages like mysql, php, css,jquery and HTML5
    You need to be familiar with existing social networking sites and how to take advantage of their viral tendencies
    You need a domain that works for what you want to deliver
    I would not advise "hiring" programmers. It would be better to find friends that share the same passion as you and work together to make a productMost important is you need patience. 99% of great ideas fall apart, and some ideas that you do not think will go anywhere will net you 1000's of dollars a month

Good Luck

Herpsy, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  3. Zummatul

Zummatul Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Herpsy

Zummatul, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  4. Herpsy

Herpsy Member

Best Answers:
    No problem. I have been at this stuff for 10 years. from not knowing what html was to today. After joining google adsense in 2007 I still never hit much profit. I tried the donation paypal buttons, google adsense, different niches.

Finally 2 months ago, I threw out another idea. It was a set it and forget it site with no DB at all. Now, within 2 months, I make low 4 figures in google ads, a ton of traffic and number 1 spot for keywords in google search

I never expected that at this rate it will take me an entire year to re-coupe my losses over the years. Don't get discouraged, online money is never easy money but if you keep at it and with a little luck everything will pay off. It is a big ocean.

Herpsy, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  5. Frangemc

Frangemc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Marketing. You could have the best damn script, but without marketing no one would use it. There are also very simple scripts that have become really popular. Social traffic is best. Get people to share it and refer their friends.

Frangemc, Feb 14, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  6. Wizza

Wizza Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First thing you need to ask yourself is why your social network over Twitter, Facebook and others? What will your social network offer people that the others don't - why will people return to yours? When creating a social network you need to remember that the market and competition are huge and the only way to make it big is to ensure that you bring something that makes your members want to come back time and time again.

Set yourself a comfortable launch date and write down your ideas. Work down your list with your developer(s) and ensure that every feature / idea is implemented to your satisfaction.

Just don't rush it. As I said, competition are the likes of Twitter and Facebook - extremely big networks and companies so guests won't be inclined to sign up to your website if your graphics and set up is poor. Take your time.

Wizza, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  7. Zummatul

Zummatul Member

Best Answers:
    I wanna a make a gaming social network
    Where we can play online games make game teams and lots of other things with social networking

Zummatul, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  8. Wizza

Wizza Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So have you researched your field? Type gaming social networks in Google. First site that appears is Playfire.

Sign up to a few of your competitors and look at what they are doing - then look at how you could improve and what could bring visitors to your website instead of theirs. Make sure you do lots of research as you don't want to put hundreds or thousands of dollars/pounds in to a website that may fail.

Wizza, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  9. Zummatul

Zummatul Member

Best Answers:
    Playfire is awsome
    Um not sure my one will be that gd ??
    So should I go for it or skip this project and try some thing else??

10. Wizza

Wizza Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it because it may not be as good as another. Just make yours different with unique features or features that people will want to return for.

If you really want to do this then keep your head and heart in the project and work hard at it. It'll take some time to develop and launch but with the right attitude you can do well.

Wizza, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  11. Zummatul

Zummatul Member

Best Answers:
    tnqs wizza

12. Herpsy

Herpsy Member

Best Answers:
    I get the feeling you are in the "set it and forget it" get rich quick zone. It is a faze most new developers end up in. Sometimes it does happen if you hit the right niche. But you my friend are in the wrong niche for it, especially if you are relying strictly on a template.

Do you know how to program? do you know php,mysql,jquery,javascript, and HTML5? If you are just relying on a template and do not plan on changing it or editing it then you might just be the same as the 100's or 1000's of others that bought the same script

Traffic does not come to you, you need to create the traffic and it is not easy. Especially in the niche you chose.

Think outside the box. Why a social media site? Why not a gaming forum to start to build an audience? (phpbb is free) Then expand out to manual programmed pages with information/blogging about games?

Then move on with your existing traffic to a social media site but like the other posters say you need to offer something UNIQUE and ATTRACTIVE.

I am not trying to discourage you, I am just speaking from experience. There is a TON of money to be made online. It is a huge pool, but there is no easy road, no easy button, no template and sleep for a month and BOOM profit.

Try to look at it this way. If you try to throw money at the problem it will disappear in the internet ocean. Look at the free, and cheap options (shared hosting, free one year domain on signup), Anything free. Build off that and gain traffic and backlinks.

If you can sustain that, then you now have the audience to attempt bolder moves and your traffic should follow. It is like a snowball effect

As stated, it took me 10 years to get to a "profit" margin (still in the red, but shrinking very very quickly) and the road was full of headaches, mistakes, wasted money.

Don't rush things. The internet will always be here, and so will the money.
    Good luck my friend. Persistence and passion is the key

Herpsy, Feb 16, 2013 IP
  13. Zummatul

Zummatul Member

Best Answers:
    I already hav a website http://www.play333.com/
    and i fully know HTML5 and learning PHP and javascript

Zummatul, Feb 16, 2013 IP
  14. walts1

walts1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    put "learn Facebook history" to the list