1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Lot Less Offers Of Scripts & Sites ???

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mytechiestuff, Feb 13, 2013.

It seems that there are a lot less scripts and sites at this time on offer here at the new DP.

Is there an explanation for that?

Thanks

mytechiestuff, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  2. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    r3dt@rget, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  3. mytechiestuff

mytechiestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "A lot less people are qualified to post in the Buy, Sale, and Trade sections now."

As you can see below, it is not really any harder now to be able to add scripts and sites to DP, than it was before the "Upgrade".

" It's actually not hard to become an established member, but it does require some minimal effort... Specifically, you become an established member 48 hours after you register AND 3 different existing established members "Like" something you wrote"

Hopefully this is only a temporary thing and the forum will revert back to the amazingly and uniquely large number of offers for scripts and sites, as was the case before the DP was "upgraded".

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Less sellers of sites because less people can post... but there have been more sites being sold (I assume because the people who can't post now tended to sell low quality sites that no one really wanted).

If you look at the bottom of any of the thread listing pages, you can see the greyed out ones that have sold... for example: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/sites.52/page-2?order=post_date

As far as scripts, the old Scripts section no longer accepts threads or posts from anyone since it has been depreciated and replaced with the digital goods section for scripts: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/scripts.3/category

digitalpoint, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  5. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:

I think the greyed out listings are taking up too much real estate on the first page, maybe they can be pushed back so more active listings can be displayed on page 1?

Helvetii, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That would be nice, but it's a technical thing more than anything... sorting by if something is sold or not would be a non-primary table sort via a JOIN, and would more or less make the thread listings take somewhere around 10-15 seconds to sort in order to display the page. *That's* the reason the stuff is pushed to the bottom AFTER the results come back from the DB server. So you have your choice... really fast or a slightly better overall sort and really slow. :)

Better to just use this to find stuff for sale anyway... https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/sites

7. mytechiestuff

Best Answers:
    Less sellers of sites because less people can post... but there have been more sites being sold (I assume because the people who can't post now tended to sell low quality sites that no one really wanted).

Please forgive me for saying this, but there were a lot of buyers for the "low quality sites" as well for the well established earning sites.

I am simply letting you know what I see as opposed to what was available.

I appreciate the fact that I can go to the sites of numerous sellers of scripts for example, but the really great idea of buying the scripts on DP rather than on the direct sites of the script sellers was that here at DP we could get a lot of info from experienced DP members about the Scripts for sale and for the other stuff.

I am sure that I can go to other sources, and there are a lot of them out there for the scripts and the other stuff, but it is a pitty that one of the best sources is no longer as good as it was!

But then nothing remains the same does it?

The law of Exponential Decay states that every thing is subject to Exponential Decay and the said decay is at a rate proportional to its value.

The value of the un-improved & upgraded DP was very high indeed, as per many members who actually used it to buy interesting stuff which was not available elsewhere.

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... it's one of those things where you can't please everyone, and you are sometimes stuck with whatever is "least bad". While some users will not find what they need now (because they are looking more for low-quality stuff), other members come here now *because* of the change. That's not to say people can't sell low quality stuff, because they can... It more to do with people selling the low quality stuff tend to not have anything of substance to say/post so they have a harder time becoming an established user.

Either way, Buy/Sell/Trade was never intended to be used by everyone, it was always intended as a benefit for contributing users, we just have a different (and in my opinion, better) way to measure that now.

9. premise911

premise911 Member

Best Answers:
    I hear too much complaining about this new 3 likes rule. The more users contribute, the better the community will be.

If this forum belonged to anyone who wanted a bunch spammers and scammers lingering around freely I dont think more people would want to be a part of it. It raises the bar a little.

premise911, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... but at the same time, the bar is pretty low... I mean getting 3 people out of hundreds of thousands to like something you wrote really isn't that hard if you have *anything* interesting to say. :)

11. premise911

premise911 Member

Best Answers:
    i agree it's not hard. But it's not like before. People can run up there post counts all they want but if they're not saying anything worth while whats the point.
    It will at least encourage new members to add some quality and maybe they keep add it afterwards.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    premise911, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  12. mytechiestuff

Best Answers:
    (because they are looking more for low-quality stuff),

Really Shawn?
    So DP is going upmarket and Posh is it?

That is so funny.

Just so you know, I found three of my very best programmers here on DP, who were & are, skill wise way, way above most techies offering their services else where.

That is why I will always be grateful to and a well wisher of the DP, no matter how decrepit and user unfriendly it gets to be!

The very best of the super-techies that I found here on DP, initially sold me a simple, what you would term as a "low quality" search script to begin with, but then later I was able to get him to work with one of the largest UK IT companies, resulting in several great web projects.

However many of the super-techies can not work in a "normal" work environment and for those really clever techies, we created many freelance web projects and so at least some of them were able to develop some really fabulous projects.

You see Shawn there is NOTHING wrong with trying out techies with their "low quality" stuff.

In fact those of us who are always on the look out for great new techies, look for them in great skills but quick-money-scripts/sites.

13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    ...and you would have been able to still find them in the new system even if they never got a like. There is a digital goods area just for Scripts that are open to anyone. https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/scripts.3/category

I think your definition of low quality user and my definition are different. A low quality user to me is someone who posts 100 posts like, "Hi, I like to breath air, do you?" so they can get into Buy/Sell/Trade (since before the restriction was based on quantity, not quality) and then once they are in Buy/Sell/Trade spam it with duplicate threads every day. THAT is what we are trying to clean up. I don't mind people selling whatever they want to sell, just don't make 800 threads about the exact same thing.

14. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just a suggestion, but maybe a sticky or a highlight in those old BST forums to direct people to the marketplace. I figured it out, but I'll admit it took me a bit (thought you were phasing out BST).

roadies, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It should already have a notice in all the depreciated sections (better than a sticky because it also shows when viewing any thread in those areas).

16. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

OIC - 4th item on the slider (in BST > Scripts ). Think that's why I missed it the first time around. I had already scrolled down and was wondering why I was only seeing old threads.

roadies, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  17. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:

And here I thought Xenforo could solve world hunger :D

Helvetii, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Was the same way in vBulletin actually. :) Since the particular view we are talking about it's primarily designed for what we are using it for (in the case of displaying stuff for sale and pushing down sold stuff) and internally it's an extension of threads. In fact getting the tabs over here to display data (again, because how stuff is sorted) was a freaking nightmare, and more or less required me to rewrite it from scratch 3 different times under the new framework. hah And that was for something that was specifically designed for it in the beginning.

Helvetii likes this.