1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats Html5 Is All About ?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by hansab, Feb 10, 2013.

Dear Friends,

Its been so many times, i have seen clients asking for converting their site from Flash to HTML5 ?

What do they mean ? Because when i usually convert flash site to html.... that is for seo purpose and defintely a html site can not look exactly like flash site.

But what about html5 ? I don't want answers like "search google" iknow google well. but i want your experience to tell me. What it is all about ? Does that really make the site look like flash ? Does html5 have animation ?

What about css ? Is css2 and cs3 both are compatible along with html5 ? What steps to take if one wants to move to html5 ?

Does all major browser support that including ie7 ? And can we ignore ie7 as still people use windows xp and don't upgrade browser.

Please do reply me. It will be great help.

Thanks

hansab, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, the people asking you probably don't know what HTML 5 actually is -- or they are referring to things that are slapped under HTML 5's banner like the new javascripting or CSS3 that have absolutely nothing to do with FLASH.

Either that or they want you to convert their videos into FOUR DIFFERENT container/codec combinations so you can help further fracture media delivery into the worst of the late '90's quicktime vs. realplayer vs. windows media asshattery, since that's ALL the VIDEO tag has accomplished. Such an improvement... NOT.

... and no, HTML 5 is not supported on anything less than IE9, and even there it's sketchy. It's not even out of DRAFT, and with the idiotic nonsense of making it "documentative" instead of "authoritative" it never will be. There are javascript fixes/shivs/polyfills/whatever the *** they're calling them this week to try and make older browsers do HTML 5 stuff, but they are universally bloated slow train wrecks of garbage that do more harm than good.

Though that's HTML 5 in a nutshell : more harm than good and I cannot fathom how anyone is DUMB ENOUGH to want it, unless of course they only heard it as a sick marketspeak buzzword like the whole "Web 2.0" prairie pies, or for the past decade they've been sleazing out HTML 3.2 with a 4 tranny on it... since that LITERALLY seems to be the target audience for HTML 5. It sure as shine-ola isn't crafted for anyone who took the time to learn semantic markup, separation of presentation from content, or the dozen other superior methods of site-building of the past decade and a half. People call HTML 5 the future -- I call it the WORST of 1997 style practices. See the link in my signature for more on 'what's wrong with 5'.

Pretty much unless you have **** that shouldn't even be on a website in the first place, there's no reason for it... Which is why I try to educate people asking about 5, and if they don't get it, tell them to either STFU or GTFO. There are ZERO legitimate benefits in terms of markup or media delivery offered by HTML 5 -- apart from placating the dirty unwashed hippies with their "free as in freedom by telling you what you can and cannot do" rhetoric and vendor lock-in under the guise of fighting vendor lock-in by "our way or the highway" hardware vendors like Apple.

Two groups that IMHO need a good swift kick in the junk.

I suspect in your case, the folks saying it only know HTML 5 as a sick buzzword because they are taking technical advice from the pages of Forbes -- which is akin to taking financial advice from the pages of Popular Electronics.

deathshadow, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  3. hansab

hansab Active Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely loved your reply.

Yes thats why i was getting frustrated with this queries. I mean convert Flash to HTML5 ?

Sometimes, they post project and say, only people who know HTML5 and i see 100 bids (which are ofcourse fake) and i have a rule, i dont like jumping into things unless i know it.

Was frustrated so thought, i should ask someone, if i am right about html5 feelings and definitely, you gave a wonderful reply. Hope to have more replies as well.

IE9 ? huh.... i hate that because it does not work on windows xp and microsoft left xp users behind while i can bet that there are still more than 25% users who use xp. They already bring IE10 and that does not work on Windows 7.

Disgusting people are ruling technology. :(

hansab, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  4. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    It would REALLY depend on what the flash IS... if it's video, they mean convert it to FOUR DIFFERENT file formats and use HTML 5's idiotic VIDEO tag. IF it's an animation/game, that's a LOT harder since they mean CANVAS with AUDIO -- the former working nothing like flash, the latter having latency issues in most browsers making it unsuitable to the task for any serious game. In both cases it's not always the best answer if you have lots of videos (unless you can spare a render farm to keep up with all the formats like YT does), or the simplest of games.

IMHO anyone still using IE -- at all, deserves what they get; mind you, I support my new sites WORKING all the way back to IE 5.5 (which blows some people's minds) AND I use CSS3 and a lot of new layout stuff... The difference is I could give a flying purple fish if a IE6 users doesn't get rounded corners and drop shadows. BIG HONKING DEAL. I will not block their access to the content or do anything that makes the page not WORK for them -- but goof assed nonsense like border radius, box-shadow, text-shadow -- who the blue blazes cares if someone who will not join us in THIS century doesn't get PRESENTATION.

I mean, isn't graceful degredation as enhancements like CSS are unavailable on certain targets the entire POINT of HTML?!? Of course with people pissing out goof-assed pictures in photoshop when they don't know enough HTML, CSS or accessibiltiy to be designing jack having the massive huevos to call themselves designers, and people throwing endless amounts of javascript framework asshattery at sites just to make them harder to use and slower to load, concepts like device neutral delivery of content, separation of presentation from content, progressive enhancement and graceful degradation may as well be an alien language.

But again, that's a hefty part of HTML 5's audience, the people who never pulled their heads out of 1997's backside, and until a few years ago were sleazing out presentational HTML 3.2 with 4 tranny on it. Now they slap 5's lip service around the same half-assed broke-assed idiotic inept BS code and have the unmitigated gall to claim to be qualified to do their jobs.

deathshadow, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  5. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    In short of HTML5 is a mark-ups language for presenting content for the website and custom technologies for all the business. HTML5 is complete new HTML standard and that support new elements, new attributes, CSS3 support, Video and audio, 2D/3D Graphics, Local Storage, SQL Database and web applications as well.

creativewebmaster, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  6. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Hey look, a 'me too' gibberish post, likely from someone who didn't even read the thread...

That serve no legitimate purpose.

Which has what to do with a markup specification? Also what prevents you from using CSS3 with older doctypes? (the answer is nothing!)

Tags that should be redundant to OBJECT, and a perfect example of the undoing of all the progress of STRICT.

Javascript / ECMAScript, none of which should have anything to do with writing markup and NONE of which can't be used in the older saner specs either.

Which again, is all the cool stuff completely unrelated to writing markup they had to slap under HTML 5's banner because without them, there's no legitimate reason for 5 to even exist.

deathshadow, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  7. Synastute

Synastute Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    HTML5 supports CSS3. Also, it includes many more flexible syntax which is helping to improve web experience.

Synastute, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  8. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    As do all the older HTML's since markup and style are SEPARATE.

If by flexible you mean encouraging sleazing out code any old way so hodge-podge messes are the norm, making every developers life HARDER, then sure...

deathshadow, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  9. Logist

Logist Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Purely, HTML5 is the markup language, but it is usually referred to as to include CSS3, and JS (in the form of the canvas element)

Logist, Feb 16, 2013 IP
  10. a1technology

a1technology Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    HTML5 is the latest version of Hypertext Markup Language, the code that describes web pages. It's actually three kinds of code: HTML, which provides the structure; Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), which take care of presentation; and JavaScript, which makes things happen.

Whats so great about html5 is that HTML5 has been designed to deliver almost everything you'd want to do online without requiring additional software such as browser plugins. It does everything from animation to apps, music to movies, and can also be used to build incredibly complicated applications that run in your browser.

It's cross-platform, which means it doesn't care whether you're using a tablet or a smartphone, a netbook, notebook or ultrabook or a Smart TV. If your browser supports HTML5, it should work flawless

HTML5 can be used to write web applications that still work when you're not connected to the net, to tell websites where you are physically located, to handle high definition video, and to deliver extraordinary graphics

a1technology, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  11. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ITT - Idiots spamming to increase their post count, who haven't even read the thread. The OP has already had his question answered by deathshadow, you can stop now.

jamjar919, Apr 27, 2013 IP