1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Google Images And Traffic

Discussion in 'Google' started by ecr, Jan 28, 2013.

1. nerkis

nerkis Member

Best Answers:

Hello, i tried Google Break Dance, but it is also doesnt work to me on Wordpress. Redirecting to 405 NOT FOUND page.

nerkis, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  2. nerkis

nerkis Member

Best Answers:
    With Google Break Dance i am getting error:

Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /home/svetaines/domains/mydomain.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/google-break-dance/google-break-dance.php on line 17 and defined in /home/svetaines/domains/mydomain.com/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 990

nerkis, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  3. GBK667

GBK667 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Guess i am the lucky one among us ^^

you can see that it works by looking at images from my game-art-hq.com website

GBK667, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  4. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As most of them here I also hit by the new image search.

karthimx, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  5. popac

popac Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have nginx and tried plugin but no effects like on your website gbk667. Google img search works like did before plugin :(

popac, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  6. GBK667

GBK667 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Did you add the code to the htaccess file?

Also, it seems that the code has to be added before the plugin itself is activated..according to the description by the plugin author at least

Beside that. I had watermark solutions like fanshare. I have the google break dance plugin running.

But the effect? Maybe 20-30% of the old traffic back. It is better than nothing but not a real solution to this threat. Visitors @ google simply stay away more now, they stay longer on google i guess are are visiting less different websites than before.

I would love to read experiences by other webmasters with solutions so we can gather a bit info from each other and get to know whats more helpful and what not. Also, i think some sort of protest is needed which can only work if really a lot webmasters work together. With banners as example, same on every participating website. A base website for webmasters where any protests could be organized. Spreading the news about the negative aspects of google to more and more people. Reaching journalists and getting the news on bigger websites seen by a ton of people.

Here in Germany one guy started a small petition with an own fast created website and got around 1000 votes together in only a week and coverage of probably 50+ websites including some of the bigger german news portals

Hell something like that is not possible in the international scene?

GBK667, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  7. popac

popac Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, i have added all in htaccess but i think that commands for nginx need to be little different.

Standard nginx image hotlink prevention:

valid_referers blocked www.website.com website.com;
    if ($invalid_referer) {
    rewrite ^/wp-content/uploads.*\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|png)$ http://www.website.com/wp-content/banners/Banner1.jpg last
    }
    if(!-e){
    rewrite ^(.*)$ /index.php last
    }
    Code (markup):
    and this need to modify.... and i don't know how.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    popac, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  8. Bartek Przymus

Bartek Przymus Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi
    As many i also have lost 60% of my traffic,
    Went over my analytics and awstats on the server logs, and noticed that as analytics visitors went down so did hits on server but not so drastically. Analytics reported 60% loss logs picked up 20 - 30% starting at 25th of january and progressing. So i thought okay most probably its traffic that wasn't converting anyway and decided to wait. Checked my adsense and there it was plain as it can be 50% revenue loss, im getting fewer impressions therefore not as much money for the click and also less visitors = less clicks.
    decided to post here as I am looking for working solution to this. I cannot afford loosing views amd visits and also stop google hotlinking without direwcting user back to my website.
    What I want is solution similar to 'fansshare.com' meaning replacing image in google search results with overlayed version that encourages user to click on the image to see full version of it

i tried Google Break Dance plugin and also couple other solutions but no luck.

Fact worth mentioning I use W3T Cache plugin as well so my htacess file is full of code alrteady
    plus my site has one redirection from main domain to subfolder called blog.
    so I have two .htaccess files
    first at
    mysite.com
    second at
    mysite.com/blog
    Redirection is done by index.php and some simple code

<?php
    header( 'Location: http://www.mysite.com/blog/' ) ;
    ?>
    Its a mess i know and i dont know where to start...

Bartek Przymus, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  9. bappa86

bappa86 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks to silfriel in google forum and others who share about this plug in.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-break-dance/ , Though I haven't tested it yet , but one of my friend told me that it's working.
    @gemeweb stay away from us. you are one of the cheapest and greedy person I have ever faced.

bappa86, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  10. Bartek Przymus

Bartek Przymus Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that plugin not redirecting users to cekpr.com website as it is in mod rewrite list of rules?
    After installing it i get 405 errors after i click view original image and if i click the image it takes me to contents of my uploads directory.

Bartek Przymus, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  11. bappa86

bappa86 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    perfectly working in all my wordpress website..

Please keep in mind do not activate this plug in before changing .htaccess

and also please change .htaccess like this and insert in top of .htaccess

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} wp-content/uploads/.*\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|png)$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www.)?yourdomain.com/.*$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /get_image?$1 [R=302,L]
    Code (markup):

Big thanks to plug in developer

bappa86, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  12. ecr

ecr Banned

Best Answers:
    n
    not working i tried but no redirection to website only showing image with black background

ecr, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  13. ecr

ecr Banned

Best Answers:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} wp-content/uploads/.*\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|png)$ [NC]
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www.)?yourdomain.com/.*$ [NC]
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /get_image?$1 [R=302,L]
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
    RewriteEngine On

Code (markup):
    i changed yourdomain.com with my url

ecr, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  14. Opoffers

Opoffers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am not really liking the change to the image indexing, however google is still the most powerful search engine on the planet. You would need to pic images that are provocative (in other words pictures that makes the searcher want to find out where its from) For example graphics do very well because they lend themselves to finding out more information. memes do well I guess too if they are subject related

Opoffers, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  15. darkbox

darkbox Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My image search is down. Need to try something that can increase my traffic.

darkbox, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  16. GBK667

GBK667 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I removed the google break dance plugin . It worked flawless for me but it is no real solution at all.

The htaccess solutions seem to cause that google is not displaying thumbs correctly anymore, it does not even load them correctly and i saw that more and more images were removed from the index.

What i do now is to upload images in the usual big sizes as earlier but with a fat watermark on it, slighty softer contures and the hint that the original version can only be seen on my website.

The images without the watermark will be available on my website but upload in an folder which is excluded from the google image bot via robots.

Thats a bit complicated solution and i am sure not the best one but to me it looks like it could generate more views in the long run. If many websites would use such solutions and the google users see more and more images with watermarks it could make google regret their old decision as well.

GBK667, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  17. GBK667

GBK667 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Double post but most likely worthy for those of you who have wordpress and the image traffic decrease problem

Look for the new plugin Imaguard and use it.

I recommend adding text on the images, i used the text "Visit xxxxxxxx.com to view the Original!"

This is a far better solution - so far - than the other htaccess solutions i saw yet+ the more of us use it the more the google image search will become a hassle for google and its users..which might be good for us webmasters.

GBK667, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  18. nerkis

nerkis Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for you! But What do you prefer to use when visitor clicking on "view original image" ?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
    nerkis, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  19. GBK667

GBK667 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If the google visitors click on "original view" they see the same darkend image with the text saying "visit our website to see the original image"

The result is that 4 of 5 google users are not visiting the website at all, but the traffic is still bigger as it was before. With the redirect solution i got a bit more visitors, but i don't believe thats a good solution in the long run. The more of us are using blurry effects, black/darkend versions and show the google users that something is wrong, the more of them will be pissed at the google image search and (hopefully) wonder why webmasters do it. Making the google image search a hassle for its users might be our only chance to get google to revert this stupid and ignorant update.Its up to you other guys to join this form of protest.

GBK667, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  20. Snat

Snat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Am tempted to do this as well as I have lost a bit of traffic but I got a question which I could not find anyone else asking.

Who is to say on the next Google update they will be removing images completely that redirects the user to their own web page in the name of security (afterall, you could use this method to redirect images to a page filled with Affiliate links and what not)?

Snat, Feb 13, 2013 IP