1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips For Writing High Quality Articles Quickly

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by leachy, Feb 9, 2013.

So I noticed recently that there have been numerous people posting wanting to know how to write articles faster. I think its a really important skill to be able to write high quality articles quickly so I thought I would share some tips that I have learned over the years which may be of use to writers wanting to generate content faster.

1. Use voice recognition if you can. For most people voice recognition technology is going to be significantly faster than typing once it has been properly trained. It can be expensive but it will be well worth the investment because not only will you be able to write faster, it will reduce typing fatigue meaning you will be able to work longer hours more comfortably.

2. Set time limits and try to meet them. Content writing quickly is all about setting goals and meeting deadlines. Work out how many words you want to write in a 2 hour period and then work out how many words that is every 10 minutes. Have either a physical timer on your desk or a virtual timer on your desktop and keep track of whether or not your on track to finish on time. A timer will keep you focused and let you know if you need to speed up or not.

3. Have a plan before you write. Its really important that you know what your going to write about before you begin typing. Try and write one sentence per paragraph before you begin writing your article properly. This means you will know where your article is going and you won't lose time working out where to take it next.

4. Have a generic template which you base every article off when writing a series of similar articles . For example, a basic template for a 500 word article on tech news may look like this:

1st paragraph: Introduction to the topic, summery of your article - 100 words
    2nd paragraph: back ground to the issue - 100 words
    3rd paragraph: current developments, new information - 150 words
    4th: stake holder analysis, quote - 100 words
    5th paragraph: summery, final line looking forward - 50 words

Obviously this is only a loose outline but you get the idea. The purpose of a template is for you to know exactly what your going to write next and not have to stop and think about a new angle.

5. Avoid distractions. This may seem obvious but I feel it needs to be said. Set aside time to write each day and in that time only write. Don't have music on, don't be on Facebook and if possible switch off your phone. Pretend you have a boss and at all times think about whether or not a real boss would approve of your activities while your working because if someone else wouldn't want you doing something while your making money for them, than you shouldn't be doing that same activity while you're making money for yourself.

I hope these tips are of some use to people

Leachy

leachy, Feb 9, 2013 IP
    Rebecca and TopNotchwrites like this.
  2. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I can't write when it is so quiet you could hear a cat walk across the floor. I don't play music from my computer, it's too "right there", but I always have noise in the background. In another room preferrably.

Writing articles quickly is a skill that develops over time. One can use all the shortcuts and tricks to help them, but they can't replace practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. The more you write, the better you become and the quicker the whole process becomes.

To produce a quality product takes time. There's no shortcut. The more you push, wanting to pump out an article or other piece of copy within a time limit you set for yourself, the more the end product will suffer. You'll spend time having to fix errors and edit the copy than you would had you just taken a deep breath, forgot about the clock, and just simply wrote.

Too many people stress themselves out over a time limit. They keep checking whatever tool they use to set time limits, wondering where they are at time wise versus how much copy they wrote. It's not a good practice to fall into because your end product won't be as good as you would like it to be. It might pass for "good enough", but that's about it.

TextServices, Feb 9, 2013 IP
    Live2Write likes this.
  3. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Trying to knock out a large number of articles quickly isn't a good practice. There is no real way to get it to a high enough quality to justify it, at least in my opinion. If it is a topic you know really well, and it is something more along the lines of a blog post of review, you can probably do more. As long as you edit it properly.

But you should never compromise the final product for the sake of speed. Though I agree that some of your tips are good advice for writing in general, like planning out the first draft and avoiding distractions. I do like some music playing in the background when I work some days, however.

oo87, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  4. teodorabg

teodorabg Peon

Best Answers:
    I also think that writing high-quality articles is something that requires a lot of practice. Writing quickly will most probably make you stresses and the article will have to be edited and re-edited a couple of times, so you will spend time on it in one way or another. It's much better to concentrate on the quality and then you will gradually start writing faster.

teodorabg, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  5. actnews

actnews Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think also gathering as much of informations before start writing the content could help to write good and informative content in a reasonable time.

actnews, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  6. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    Brainstorming to elicit the idea, then pick the topic, then determine purpose and then the audience. Put together the ideas to create the draft, then revise, edit and proofread until it is good to go. If the niche is something one has familiarity with then the entire process takes little time. Nonetheless I'm not too bothered to belt out so many words an hour.

Live2Write, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  7. alasdairsim

alasdairsim Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some good tips there actually, thanks for sharing.

Your second point is crucial - Set time limits and try to meet them. Effective time management is something that is important especially when you are freelancing or working from home. I would add to it and say that only allow yourself to write for a certain amount of time per hour. So write for 45 minutes and have a 15 minute break or whatever balance suits you but in the break get away from the computer.

Also, don't just write the article and then proof it right away. Do the same as above, take a short break, make a coffee, go for a walk, whatever and then proof it. The chances of you picking up on mistakes greatly increase if you give yourself some time away from the work before you check it.

I have been writing on the side for nearly 4 years now and, to be honest, after a while it just comes as second nature and you can do a lot of it almost on 'autopilot.'

alasdairsim, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  8. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    Having a generic template does help, but more importantly, you need to have a background of what you're going to write about so doing a bit of research before writing will help a lot.

Have a good day!

affilorama, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  9. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like some of these tips although I would never set a time limit for finishing a piece of work in minutes. I do set goals for getting work done 'by the end of the week' mainly so I can spend the weekend with my children. Having regular breaks is one thing I am going to start doing, I have found myself working for hours then editing the following day and finding I spend longer on this than I really should be. For me its always quality over quantity, I would never send a piece of work that I wasnt happy with just because I had spent the allocated time on it.

Emma Pollard, Feb 19, 2013 IP
    awundrin likes this.
  10. JustinKing

JustinKing Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes! It is really important that you have a clear goal as to what to talk about in your article and to use words that would clearly convey your thoughts. In this way, your article would be highly interesting to your readers. These tips are indeed helpful for writers to be able to come up with quality articles that can attract more readers.

JustinKing, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  11. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I concur Emma. I set daily and weekly goals but would never consider setting a timer to make sure I get done in a specified period of time. That kind of rushing is sure to cause me to make errors. Quality is king in my book too!

awundrin, Feb 20, 2013 IP