1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Likes Requirement For Old Members

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Wincrew, Feb 7, 2013.

1. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    How do you suggest we prevent abuse of the like system if anybody can give them out?

All ideas will be considered but you have to show that you have thought them through and have suggestions about how your ideas will be managed.

sarahk, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  2. DJboutit2

DJboutit2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You must be blind check all the buy and sell sections look how much these sections posting has dropped it is quit a bit. That because most of the members posting in these sections before can not post in them any more

DJboutit2, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  3. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, most of the redundant crap is missing now.

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  4. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:
    Its funny how all the people that think its a fair system have more than 3 likes :rolleyes:

I wonder if they have ever considered that a large proportion of people view likes systems as some kind of kiddie addon that they dont even use and never will ?

I thought I would test this you beaut system the other day and rattled off half a dozen reply posts in a technical section. Number of likes received ? Zero. Number of messages received to supply me with likes ? More than zero.

So basically, you have more chance of attracting likes by not posting.

I wonder how long people will keep on telling us how great this very average system is ?

Austech, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The fact that people aren't going to get likes for every good post is already factored in. If that we're the case it would be something closer to 50 likes needed. The bar is intentionally set so low because of that.

digitalpoint, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  6. browntwn

Best Answers:
    It is funny because you are picking up likes per post at the same rate as digitalpoint is. No merit to your complaint. You expect to get a like for every post. That is simply not a realistic expectation.

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  7. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Alexa is a load of bollocks. Anyone trusting that is a moron.

Read Shawn's post here:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/new-site.2628210/page-21#post-18439736

In fact, as you're probably too lazy to click a link, you can read it here:

Dying? No. Increasing in quality? Yes. And I'm be willing to put money on that sold items will increase as more people figure out how to set up a listing properly.

Stop crying, get out of your pram, tidy up your toys, and make an adult decision.

ryan_uk, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  8. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How to like the guys thread? Or I need to have few more likes to do that :D?

Like you :D?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
    intro, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... 16,100+ users were "established" at the start of the new system because of the import.

10. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't get it.. to publish an thread in Buy/Sell/Trade, you don't need any iTrades, you just need Likes - no logic :D.

intro, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  11. ryan_uk

Best Answers:

There was an old system that required 25 posts and x amount of days until BST could be used. I am sure you knew that already, though. However, people were churning out lots of crappy posts to be able to get access. For others it was annoying. Now the requirement has been simplified - three likes and 48 hours (for new members), then you get access. How easy is that? Absolutely simple, except for idiots. Idiots are what it is designed to keep out. Anyone with intelligence can manage to make a worthwhile contribution and get three likes.

And iTrader? No verification, very easy to fake. Can't be trusted. Anyone could exchange iTrader without a trade. So, what is the logic in using such an unreliable system? Whereas, likes need to be given by established members. People can try to scam it, but like all the others who have tried it will fail and get banned.

IMO, Shawn has done a great job, a good system has been implemented and the moderators have done a fantastic job too, dealing with all the crap since.

Anyway, just my $0.02 FWIW.

ryan_uk, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  12. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll quote what I've said in different thread, related to this:

intro, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  13. browntwn

Best Answers:
    1. You will have to post in other sections where you can be helpful to get likes.
    2. You can still conduct business. The only thing you can't do, as I understand the rules, is to start your own thread. You can buy a service from someone selling it. You can sell a service to someone requesting it. You just can't start your own thread until you make some contribution to the forum. It is a hurdle, on purpose, because there was too much garbage being posted, both to get into the Marketplace section and in the Marketplace section.

I think the forum is better for these rules.

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  14. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or you can pay and post any garbage you want :D.

intro, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Rules still are enforced. You still can't post anything disallowed. Posting disallowed things will get you banned in about 30 seconds and then you would be out the cost of your premium membership too. :)

ryan_uk likes this.
  16. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Someone is selling something, how can you trade it like it is a garbage? Of course, you won't, like you haven't on old forum. You are trying to find the reason how to cover my argument.

I think, it's easier to get Like by supporting all the changes. Some of these threads are there to try and make a contribution for this forum, but of course, they are threated like an attack - of course they won't get a Like :).

intro, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  17. ryan_uk

Best Answers:

Use your brain and make effort. It's very obvious.

ryan_uk, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There's nothing to argue about to be honest... We definitely are not reverting back to assuming a contributing member is someone who has been here for 14 days and made 25 posts.

If you want to make suggestions about how to better classify a contributing member, we certainly will listen (and if they are good ideas, we can implement them). The best thing to do is to first pretend there is no established members at all right now (otherwise you are just thinking about how to get YOU established, and not necessarily a good way to determine who should be considered established).

19. fau00

fau00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I saw on your profile that you have posted more than 20 complaining and whinging posts. Why don't you use your time and energy to start (at least to try) contribute with 20 useful and helpful posts on this forum? You might have got more than 3 Likes with that.

fau00, Feb 8, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  20. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you, but what if I don't want to? What if I'm complaining not just for me, but for those who created the threads and I'm supporting them?

intro, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  21. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Best to contact them directly? {shrug}

digitalpoint, Feb 8, 2013 IP