1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to apply to writing jobs and actually get them

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by sweetcrabhoney18, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

If you don't value your talent, no one else will - regardless of feedback.

Senobia, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  2. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    After about a year of hiring writers, here's what I look for:

1. An individual bid. If you tell me about your company or where you went to University, I'll yawn and bin you. I didn't ask for a company/personal profile - I asked for a contract bid.
    2. Inclusion of any key phrases or information requested. And not just pasted in at the top.
    3. A non-template bid. The only way I'll read a template bid is if it's introduced as such (i.e. follows the actual bid text and is preceded by "In case you're interested, here's the usual junk I tell everyone:").
    4. A message that doesn't make me wish you'd STFU about how wonderful you are. I bin those instantly. Hell, I bin bids from people whose freelance names include buzzwords (or "wordsmith"... Gods, I hate that).
    5. A bid that is funny, clever, different or totally demented. I once gave the highest-paying contract I had to someone who didn't even explain why he was a great choice or ask for the job. His text was totally abstract, utterly bizarre and completely hilarious. Best hire ever! (Site gets about 20k uniques a month without any updates or anything... awesome.)
    6. A bid that includes the possibility of negotiation and flexibility, whether it's on price, deadlines or anything else.
    7. A bid that includes questions. Anyone who asks something simple like "Hey, you said this was about [insert subject]... so is that in [this way] or [that way]?" gets read several times. Bids that offer ideas or indicate the person has thought about the work move quickly up my list.
    8. Personality.
    9. Honesty. I've hired more people who have said "I'm not completely sure but I'll give it my damndest" than I have people who say they can do anything.

The biggest negatives, in my opinion, are dishonesty, claiming to be capable of "writing about any subject" (ooh, your research must be pathetic) and the big killer... claiming to write "perfect English". That last one gets an instant refusal. No one writes perfect English and anyone who claims they do simply doesn't understand how many versions of English there are! :)

@Senobia: the FAQ page on your site has some messed-up colours, milady. On my screen it's showing yellow on mauve text, on a black background. Zoinks!

TIEro, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    "Dear Sir" is gender specific and rather insulting to boot. It assumes that this person in authority who you wish to work for must be a man. If you approach a high level female with that...it might not go over very well.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    pigpromoter likes this.
  4. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dark yellow on black should be correct, yep - sitewide. I didn't use mauve anywhere and I'm not seeing it myself. The whole setup has been having issues this week, tho. *sigh* I appreciate you!

Senobia, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I didnt know you had a site going :) Considering you were the only writer that I have ever worked with that did a truly amazing job, it is great to see you with your own site.

Congrats :)

matt_62, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    Senobia likes this.
  6. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

Thank you kindly. It was my pleasure.

Senobia, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  7. Julzwriter

Julzwriter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had not understood it in that context.
    Thought they were saying that you should never write that at all.

Julzwriter, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  8. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:

Maybe it's just a Chrome thing. Or maybe it's because it's a Yolo "We don't know what we're doing" site. I had one of those once and their site builder killed more brain cells than I got visitors. :)

Incidentally, the "Dear Sir or Madam" thing is also really outdated. Yes, it sounds respectful but it's also oddly out of place on the Internet. "Hi" or "Hello" work a lot better... oh, and for non-native English writers, please avoid putting "dear" in front of anything else: it's quite disturbing to receive emails saying "Hello dear TIEro". Seriously. It makes you sound more like a stalker than a freelancer!

TIEro, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  9. actnews

actnews Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of clients on those websites are looking for freelancers with good feedback and experiences so a good freelancers get invited or have private jobs without applying or bidding .

actnews, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  10. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

But you're being 'invited' by people looking to pay $5 for a gig. Personally, I don't want those kinds of invites.

Senobia, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  11. actnews

actnews Active Member

Best Answers:
    i'm talking about websites such Elance or odesk where some writers make thousands of dollars each month from invitations to jobs they receive.

actnews, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  12. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

Ah, ok.

Senobia, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  13. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I would suggest being careful about picking out which ads you want to apply to. I have heard from newbie writers who tell me they have applied for everything and they end up spending more time haggling with the wrong clients than writing informative inquiries to the right ones. It was a problem that I had in the beginning myself, when I was willing to do literally anything to up my reputation to eventually improve my rates.

When you are reading the ad, ask yourself about the language used by the poster. Do they seem especially demanding? Are they asking for a lot and suggesting they might not be able to make up for it in budget? Are they saying they will send 'daily work' and need someone who is on at all hours of the night to talk to?

These are the kind of people I have learned not to work for. Which means not wasting my time writing them, and instead focusing on spending more time crafting messages to the ones I do want to work for.

The good news is that over time, you tend to get better about your approach. When you aren't wasting hours on stock messages to people who aren't a good fit, you start to figure out the line between too little information/personality and too much information/personality. Once you have the perfect mix down, you're golden!

oo87, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  14. Crimebuster_of_the_Sea

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea Notable Member

Best Answers:

I don't think you should write it at all. The number 1 reason I hate it is because I'm female and the number 2 reason I hate it is because 99% of the time I know that what follows the introduction is going to be a load of rubbish. The amount of emails I have received that say "Dear Sir, you must pick me. I am Ezine Articles expert author which is highest level" are unreal. Nothing makes me hit the delete button faster. And on a side note - you will never stand out when you start a message like this.

In addition no native English writer starts an email with "Dear" any more... or at least none that I've heard from in the last three years so it's the first indication that the writer is foreign. Now I'm not necessarily saying foreign writers are a bad thing, I work with too many to say that, however it is a dead give away and when I'm looking for a native English writer I ain't gonna be swayed by anyone else, no matter how many articles you have published on the holy grail of article directories, which by the way almost anyone can get articles accepted on but that's another story.

So yeah - if you want to apply for an article writing job and want a chance of getting it, start your message with a "Hello", "Hi" or "Hey" - I bet your success rate increases.

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea, Feb 8, 2013 IP