1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GOP House caves in again b/c of whacko tea party radicals//winner US economy

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by earlpearl, Jan 19, 2013.

Over a very short period the GOP house majority has caved in 3 times in a row to Democratic and pro US economy positions. That is good.

1. First the GOP forced the fiscal cliff, based on its whacked out recalcitrance from the debt ceiling issues from summer 2011. The fiscal cliff scenario essentially threatened the American economy with a recession....AGAIN. Tax increases on everyone including struggling Americans who haven't seen raises for years. Huge, not thought out cuts on govt spending that would have seriously shrunk the American economy. The entire thing was a disaster in the make.

In final negotiations the GOP house couldn't even finish off negotiations. Its own radical base killed an idea, back stabbed its leadership and with 2-3 weeks remaining threatened the US economy.

Fortunately cooler heads prevailed a deal was made and the House allowed it to be brought to a full vote where it passed with a majority of dems and a minority of GOP members.

2. On a second case where the GOP was shamed into acting and allowing a vote on a topic its radicals opposed....virtually full and passable equivalent to the Senate Recovery aid for folks in NJ, NY, and CT who were brutalized by hurricane Sandy. The entire scope of the bill passed was about $60 billion roughly equivalent to the Senate bill.

This only occurred after an unprecedented 3 month delay in confronting the issue. A long time period forcing desperate Americans to hang out to dry. The US simply hadn't done that to suffering Americans for ages and ages.

Again though the radical tea party obstructionists were overruled by a more mature leadership shamed into action. The House passed the legislation.

3. Now the House has caved in. on debt ceiling threats...being willing to move the threat of a debt ceiling catastrophe back three months.

More cave ins. More craziness....but fortunately it gives the US economy another 3 months to continue a slow but unbroken steady rate of economic recovery since the recession formerly ended in summer 2009.

The newest GOP proposal from the House of course though includes threats rather than straight negotiations. They threaten the Senate to pass a budget and they threaten just Senators with an entire loss of pay if they don't pass a budget.

Why can't the GOP house act like adults and simply negotiate. If they had followed through on this program in the fiscal cliff negotiations they would have gotten govt expense cuts via direct negotiations between Boehner and Obama. It tanked. The radicals killed it. The ultimate final deal averted the fiscal cliff calamity but it had virtually no expense cuts.

Frankly, every action by the radical extremists on the tea party side only seems to be focused on protecting ultra rich people's taxes and they frankly don't act on expense cuts.

The radical tea party house members are basically the biggest threat to the American economy and the welfare of Americans.

Now we'll see what happens going forward.

earlpearl, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  2. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AND THE GOP CAVES IN.....AGAIN​
    The House, dominated by a Republican majority caved in on its threats, and delayed--pushed back a threat to veto an increase in the debt limit again: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/23/us-usa-fiscal-idUSBRE90M11F20130123
    Here is the guts on why the GOP leadership came up with a new political "gimmick"​
    Its simply one more GOP political gimmick. It would be a relief to Americans and a simple boon to the economy if the GOP House would stop being the biggest impediment to continued growth in the US economy.

earlpearl, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  3. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did they remove the [Bump] feature in this release of the forum?

Obamanation, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  4. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    I just knew you couldn't resist responding o-nation. ;)

Nothing substantive to say, I see. But what's there to say. In short order the GOP house radicals caved on the fiscal cliff situation, caved on depriving NY, NJ, and CT from getting emergency funds to help recover from Hurricane Sandy, and caved on creating an instant new national emergency about the debt ceiling.

Overall that is good. The radical wing nuts in the GOP house basically are willing to sabotage the economy or screw over Americans who went through an incredible crisis. At least the House GOP leadership recognizes this and is, at least currently, willing to put the needs of America above the radicalness of the teaparty radicals.

5. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    You were carrying on a healthy conversation with yourself. I didn't want to get in the way.

Obamanation, Jan 23, 2013 IP
    satguy likes this.
  6. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Again, nothing substantive to say. I can understand that. It mirrors the state of the GOP. They simply don't have any idea what to do following so many losses in a row and the clear recognition that their past actions will motivate the public to blame them for stupid counter productive moves that will only hurt the economy.

Currently they are so confused and in such disarray they are asking for help from ANYONE:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...-mistakes-wants-help-193757378--election.html

go ahead o-nation why don't you send them your best ideas, although I doubt if they'd bite on how you recycle used scotch.

7. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. Republicans didn't cave to anything. They negotiated a short term compromise to avoid going into a recession. When you negotiate a price for a new car, you don't ask exactly what you want to pay. You go even lower because chances are you will meet in them middle somewhere. That's exactly what happened. At no point were they going to let these tax cuts expire. Whether it meant accepting Obamas original offer or a compromise. Obama and most Dems were set on letting taxes for $250k+ earners expire. Republicans wanted all taxes to stay put, but they had to accept raising taxes on $450k+ earners instead. Sure Republicans had to move further, but Dems gave up a little ground as well. Furthermore, you stated that the GOP was holding the economy hostage by not accepting the first thing the Dems threw out. The GOP simply wanted to extend all the tax cuts. And in the end, taxes did rise for all Americans in this deal. Something that Obama said would not happen. In that sense, Dems were also holding us hostage. Why not just accept extending all tax cuts to avoid a recession? Raising taxes on $450+ earners does nothing about our debt as Dems like to sell it.

3. The only thing the GOP is asking is that all debt extensions be matched with spending cuts. They even had the best idea I have heard in years, cut the pay of congressmen if they can't get their crap together. I don't think there is an American out there that wouldn't support a bill cutting congressional pay by 75%. Makes sense to me. If they don't do their job, they don't get paid.

Frankly, we need some right wing radicals in congress right now. For too long have moderates and liberals have allowed the government to expand beyond our financial abilities. When does the spending end? At what time in the next 50 years are we going to reach a point where we can start paying down our massive debt? When will we see a sudden rush of revenue coming in that will pay for all the entitlements? Do you not agree that entitlement use will continue to expand, rather than shrink? This could only mean our spending will continue on a path where we will no longer be able to sustain it.

I would be interested in hearing how you believe we can ever pay off our debt and stabilize the level of entitlement spending. I don't care about GOP or Dem, I just want to fiscal responsibility. Heck, I would vote for Clinton, at least he created a budget surplus for a few years in a row.

r3dt@rget, Jan 24, 2013 IP
    debunked likes this.
  8. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Of course they caved. Its a party with intense problems in Congress. A renegade extremist wing is willing to take down their own party leaders. The public obviously blames them for every time they force a stupid "all or nothing" type of blackmail. That is why the GOP leadership is being extremely careful. The public hates the GOP in congress and for good reason. Unbridled and uncontrolled the tea party contingent in Congress is the worst enemy of the American economy.

Its no surprise the House GOP leadership caved. Congress, thanks to its tea party obstructionist radicals is rated lower than cockroaches: http://godfatherpolitics.com/8887/congress-rated-lower-than-cockroaches-root-canal-or-colonoscopy/

On the plus side your tea party radical fan boys in congress are rated higher than gonorrhea. Congrats. that is quite an accomplishment :D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    earlpearl, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  9. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Haha
    Ha! Wow and I thought the governments uncontrolled spending and ever expanding reach was our worst enemy. The GOP is blamed for everything because the liberal media is in Obama's pocket. Maybe turn off CNN and you would have a different look at what is actually happening. Your use of the words radical and renegade really who how radical you are yourself. Is it so radical to you that the government shouldn't keep spending 1 trillion dollars more than we take in every year? Is it so radical that all borrowing increases be matched with spending cuts?

r3dt@rget, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  10. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice, just noticed the federal taxes from my paycheck take a nice jump..

Wonder how this is affecting some families and their ability to buy food, new electronics, new cars, new clothes, go out to eat, go on vacation, and/or enjoy other activities..

While Obama continues to experiment with the lives of Americans and future of our country, we continue to throw / pour money in to a failing Government!

Y-A-Y!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    grpaul, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  11. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    Hard line tea partiers wanted a fiscal cliff catastrophe. The GOP caved. A settlement occurred.

Hard line tea partiers didn't want NJ, NY, and CT to get relief money for Hurricane Sandy without $50-60 billion in cuts. It didn't happen. The house caved AGAIN.

The hard line tea partiers wanted the Debt Ceiling issue to reappear sooner rather than later.

Bam...the GOP leadership just moved actual enforcement of debt limit levels back 3 months...so the US is paying its bills.

Caved In again.

Its called Caving In. Any way you look at it.

The reason they are caving is because the House and Senate Leadership on the GOP side realize they are dealing with destructive wing nuts on the tea party side that the majority of the US public is unhappy with...and frankly just cost them a a major election.

earlpearl, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  12. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So the GOP is the only side with extremists? It goes both ways. There is a nut on your side that wants to do away with Presidential term restrictions. When that gets shot down by his own party do you consider that caving? You think the Dems are all on the same page? Why do you think Obama didn't get his $200k bracket tax increase? Some Dems felt like 1 million should be the increase. Others $500k. So when they passed it at $400k did Obama cave? Your entire argument is hypocritical.

r3dt@rget, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  13. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I really did use to think Earl had some sense, but I will admit I believe he has fallen to heavy usage of something that has left him unable to be reasonable or be sensible. Everything is the same from him, blame the "far right" and just ignore what people are actually saying and replace it with want he thinks they are saying. I wondering if it will be a new type of dyslexia where they don't just see letter rearranged but where entire sentences are rewritten.

Maybe Obama has this issue when he tries to read the constitution?

Crazy world we live in... were good is called evil and evil called good. <Lets just kill a helpless little baby, that is a good thing - but don't hurt a murderer, that would be bad.>

debunked, Feb 2, 2013 IP
    Obamanation likes this.
  14. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After the last election, I told my Republican friend that we will never ever have a Republican president again unless the GOP reforms their position on women and immigration issues. With the latest GOP attempts to illegal immigration reforms I think that the GOP might stand a chance now that they are trying to do the right thing.

Barti1987, Feb 2, 2013 IP
  15. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Their position on women? Here is a newsflash. Obama lost among married women by 7 points and among married people by 14 points. Obama won among single women based on successful fear mongering over a single issue of abortion, despite the fact that Romney was the most pro abortion candidate to run on the Republican ticket ever.

Obama is very skilled at dividing this nation demographically based on lies and fear mongering. That is how he won. Unless he tries to repeal the 22nd amendment, we will never have to deal with his dim witted weak ass governance again after three more years. Good riddance.

Obamanation, Feb 3, 2013 IP
  16. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    My commentary simply mirrors comments from people who were long time members of the GOP. Its people who had leanings toward certain traditional elements of GOP thinking who have been among the most vocal opponents of the extremism of the tea party element and the current orientation of the GOP.

Mickey Edwards, a former GOP member of Congress was a founding trustee of the Heritage Foundation. The heritage foundation> that is the fount of much of active GOP thinking.

Edwards has ripped the current GOP. He considers them extremists.

Mike Lofgren, a GOP House and Senate staffer for 28 years who spent much of his time as a budget analyst on defense issues and the last 5 to 8 years as senior GOP budget analyst for defense quit his job in 2011 as the debt ceiling issue arose. He calls the current incarnation of the GOP a cult, actually worse than that.

Neither of those two guys have great things to say about Dems. They just call it the way they see it and have labeled the current incarnation of the GOP NUTS!!!!!

I suspect that every single member of the House or Senate that have retired recently cites the partisanship in Congress as the big problem All of them that have retired. If one hasn't cited extreme partisanship find him or her.

On the House side Boehner demoted two tea party members of congress from leadership positions.

Following the election there are now serious efforts to reform immigration, and all of them veer dramatically from the extreme tea party perspective of throw em all out.

Not a surprise. Afterall the tea party perspective dominated the GOP primaries and was evident throughout the general election. It led women, Hispanics, Eastern Asians and various other minorities who felt the hate coming out of the tea party to vote against the GOP.

The Affordable Health Care Act, profoundly based on using insurance companies rather than a complete govt run health care program is essentially right out of the Heritage Foundation and GOP congressional perspectives from the 90's.

The current GOP attacks it as the most vile thing ever.

Seriously, the only folks that don't see this change are the tea partyists themselves.

Fundamentalist killer Islamic terrorists also think that their thinking is right on also.

earlpearl, Feb 3, 2013 IP
  17. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Obama won women vote by 55%. There is a reason behind that.

Romney called for the reversal of Roe v. Wade. His stance on abortion was the same as ALL previous GOP presidents (unless you can show me where he said differently), which was to allow abortion in cases of rape, incest or to save a mother's life.

Yeah Obama lied about Romney not caring about the 47th percent. He lied about many things.

Barti1987, Feb 3, 2013 IP
  18. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    As I also pointed out(and you ignored), Romney won married women by a large margin. As I've already pointed it out(and you ignored), Obama's victory among single women was based on a campaign of fear mongering.

Looking at the GOP last election cycle, nothing dramatic really changed. Romney was no further to the right than any other Republican candidate. In fact, he was actually quite a bit to the left of most of them.

Looking at the electorate last election cycle, there was no dramatic shift in views from when Bush won his last election 8 years ago.

What changed were the candidates and the campaigns. Romney was simply not as good at articulating his views, and Obama was a lot better at demonizing and dividing (so much for hope and change).

Whether we are talking about women or immigrants, next election cycle will be its own contest with its own competitors. The GOP is no more "out of the game" than the Democrats were after getting their asses thoroughly trounced two years ago.

Obama called for an end to Gitmo, undeclared foreign wars, extraordinary rendition, targeted assassinations, the Patriot act, opaque governance, and a myriad of other things he now champions. What was your point?

Romney was a pro-choice candidate before he ran for national office. People say what they have to to win their primaries, including and especially Barack Hussein Obama.

Obamanation, Feb 3, 2013 IP
  19. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your view of reality never ceases to amaze me. If you view the GOP message to be hate, what is your view of the Democrats?

The reality is that in the 2012 election the Democrats promised gifts in exchange for votes. The ad produced by Obamas administration sums it up perfectly. It showed a womans life and how Obamacare makes it better throughout the different stages of her life. Obamacare gives women this for free, it gives them that. It's message, while not completely blunt, is that Obamacare wants to give women free stuff to keep them healthy and happy. For Hispanics, Obama blew it in his first term. He promised immigration reform but didn't get to it. So he decided to use an executive order to stop all deportations of people he considered deserved amnesty. That was his gift to Hispanic voters and he also promised to tackle immigration in his second term. For homosexuals, his gift was a complete reversal of his previous stance on gay marriage. Wouldn't you know, it came at the most convenient time right before a presidential election!

Obama won because there are more people in the country that love what the government gives them or promises to give them. Gifts are great, but the problem is we cannot afford to keep the spending up as a country. The GOP's primary concern is the budget, economy, and jobs. Jobs give people health insurance, food, birth control, medical care, etc. without the need for government assistance. The GOP would rather you have the chance to get a job than rely on 99 weeks on unemployment that Obama gives to people. It's obvious, since the unemployment rate just kicked back up to 7.9%, that Obama is a gift giver rather than an economy fixer. Our population will continue to suck the governments tit until the milk runs out. See Italy and the entire EU.

r3dt@rget, Feb 4, 2013 IP
  20. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    ...and here is a virtual rerun of tea party/ 2012 GOP points in the past election......

And that perspective is why the GOP lost the women's vote, lost the hispanic vote, lost the young vote, lost the gay vote.

The tea party and the GOP candidate for president told America he doesn't give a shit about 47% of Americans. Point Blank. They want to drive all illegal immigrants out, no questions asked. Tea Party candidates running for Senator basically took women's health issues back 2-300 years.

HATE blacks, hate hispanics, hate immigrants, hate gays, hate folks on medicare, hate vets with disabilities, hate people who lost their jobs.

Not exactly a winning formula as we just saw in the last election.

So the GOP leadership demoted tea party members of congress, the GOP leadership caved on the fiscal cliff issue and caved on forcing the debt ceiling issue simply because they recognize they just lost a big election and they are losing the populace with these stances.

Now of course a tea partiish Senator, Rubio of Florida has come up with his entirely different perspective on immigration. Its not dramatically different than where Obama is but they are all going to fight around the edges....and the GOP is going to be very very very very careful as they wonder how the extreme right is going to evaluate them. Its a narrow little world in the tea party. But it clearly doesn't represent the majority of the population and it doesn't even represent the thinking of the current GOP leadership in Congress.

earlpearl, Feb 4, 2013 IP