1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Testing New Site And Then Migrating Into Production

Discussion in 'Apache' started by tyankee, Jan 30, 2013.

I'm not sure if i posted this in the right place - but couldn't find a better place. Here is my problem.

i am converting my current site (http://www.medievalclothing.com) from one software to another. I am testing it on a temporary domain name (http://medievalclothing.co).

Once i finish testing i want to move the .co site to the .com site and i don't know the best way to do this.

an obvious way would be to move all of the files and databases to the .com site after first deleting all of the files at the .com site. i would also have to do a few tweaks to the software to make sure it's pointing to the .com and not .co where i tested.

but this method seems clunky.

is there a way to just point the .com to the .co when i'm ready to 'move' and therefore nothing would actually get 'moved'?? both the .com and .co are on the same VPS.

Hope someone can help me here.

tyankee, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  2. job_online

job_online Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can redirect/point domain 1 to domain 2, but I would not suggest to do that, you have to build your active site pagerank, and redirection is not good 4 that + you will have a shop of some kind so redirection is not something that will make potential customers happy etc...

Download all files and database to your comp, find and replace old domain with new domain thruout the site files and mysql database (find/replace) and then upload this files to empty hosting root folder (public_html on apache-cpanel) and import database file, this is how I transfer sites from domain to domain or from folder to folder within same domain

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    job_online, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  3. tyankee

tyankee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    unfortunately, my NEW site is on the same server as the one i'm replacing - otherwise i'd just repoint the domain when i was done - but can't do that when they are the same nameserver..

tyankee, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  4. job_online

job_online Active Member

Best Answers:
    Check your domain registrar panel, usually there is setting for domain redirection in most control panels, if not, then you can use redirection snippets that can be found on scripts respositories like hotscripts.com or similar...

job_online, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The simplest answer is just use your CMS's migrate (or export/import) module if it has one. Most good ones do. Saves a lot of headaches. If your CMS doesn't have one, then you might want to reconsider using it. It may turn out to be limiting and deficient in other areas.

ryan_uk, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  6. cesurasean

cesurasean Active Member

Best Answers:
    Run a backup using your control panel, then move it over, then point the DNS. Done.

cesurasean, Feb 19, 2013 IP