1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback Why Fix Dp When Nit Was Never Broken?????????????

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mytechiestuff, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MIYABI

MIYABI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Laughed so hard :) Go to 9gag instead :)

MIYABI, Jan 30, 2013 IP
    Notorious likes this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well to get technical, BST consists of 23 total forums. But yeah... it's the most threads, but the least quality threads and least engagement (the posts to thread ratio is terrible there), and there is zero good info in there that anyone wants to read.

As far as BST being what differentiates us from other forums, it might be what YOU like, but it's not necessarily what others like about the site. I'd say things like this stuff is *far* more unique (and useful):

https://advertising.digitalpoint.com/
    https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/
    https://tools.digitalpoint.com/tracker
    etc...

In fact, the popularity of the last one is one of the main reasons we had to OPEN a forum to begin with (we needed a support venue).

digitalpoint, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  3. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have myself done more than 100,000$ worth of business in DP alone, and that is when I was active in BST only for 12-15 months out of the 4 years I have been a member here.

Using the most conservative estimates I would say that easily 5 million USD worth of business was done on DP every year. You are sitting on a goldmine here and you have let it go down. Tell me that number of users browsing the Forums, BST and specifically service section at any time hasn't gone down by 50-90% in the last 4 years?

For me that would be the ultimate test of success of a forum, how many members are browsing the forum. Not post/thread or number of threads, or even organic traffic.

And by that criteria DP is way down from its peek.

Warrior forums right now: Currently Active Users: 20556 (4003 members and 16553 guests)

DP right now: Online now: 1,647 (members: 173, guests: 1,474)

I know warrior forum uses a 1 hour cookie, but still numbers are indicative. I remember them being opposite for the two forums.

No body wants to read old listings on ebay either! Its a place to do business and earn money, something most people do 70% of their waking hours.

Helvetii, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  4. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    TG for the ignore feature. some people just won't quit whining...

indyonline, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    {shrug} All I can based it on is *actual* traffic... which is higher this month than any other month in our history. But if you want to focus on B/S/T... sure, it's probably down, but that's also intentional. We really clamped down on duplicate accounts for example (there were times where 200 accounts in B/S/T were actually bots/the same person). And yeah, obviously I could monetize B/S/T if I wanted to... but that area was never our focus... just not interesting enough and not where the real money is. :) It's more an area where you build just enough stuff for it to keep users quiet so I can work on the good stuff. hah

Again... the focus under the new framework is about quality, not quantity... if you are a user and you come and ask an idiotic question that's been asked 500 times in broken English, you just earned yourself a permanent ban. Just don't need those kind of users when it comes down to it.

As far as Warrior Forum, if you *really* believe they have 20,000 users online (even from the last hour), well... you are pretty gullible... you should buy more of their eBooks about making money too. :)

Now if you want to compare something by the same measurement (fairly accurate measurement)...

http://www.quantcast.com/digitalpoint.com

http://www.quantcast.com/warriorforum.com

About 10x more traffic for digitalpoint.com and users tend to be 18-34, making good money...

WF is more poor, old people (and again... 10x less traffic).

But if you want to think the WF guys would *never* want to manipulate the "users online" stats to make themselves look better, er... ok. :)

digitalpoint, Jan 31, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and indyonline like this.
  6. indyonline

Best Answers:
    lmao! =)
    WF sucks, bad. It's an insult to this forum to compare them in any way...

indyonline, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I actually have nothing against them myself... they have a business model that works for them, and their business model is *vastly* different than mine, so it's not even like there's any real competition/overlap on what we do... so...

If I wanted to sell my "Sure Fire Tested Method To Make $150,000/month With No Effort and Proof Inside" for the low price of $19.95, they will be the first place I offer it for sale. :)

8. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:

Just pointing out facts.

Look at DP 5 years back: http://web.archive.org/web/20080219213506/http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

Currently Active Users: 2,269 (685 members and 1,584 guests) with 130,000 members (many spam accounts which have since been deleted)

Look at it now: Online now: 1,605 (members: 179, guests: 1,426) with 615,356 users.

Members have increased by 500% but active members at any time decreased by 75%

Compounded that's a fall of 90-95%

Permanent destruction :(

Helvetii, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  9. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Ya, I just can't stand that site lol

indyonline, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well again... I would say it's safe to say I have access to far more accurate data about the analytics of this site than anyone else in the world. So let's compare the last 4 weeks to the 4 weeks back that (and January is generally slower than February because of the holidays...)

[​IMG]

Back then we had very little spam mitigation, low quality user mitigation, duplicate account mitigation, etc... now we have TONS of that stuff. If we didn't block the stuff we do now, we would get somewhere around 1,200 new users/day posting upwards of 20,000 posts/day. But the bulk of that would be utter crap... I have zero interest in the crap. The whole focus is quality over quantity. Are you interested in 100 posts from bots in Pakistan saying, "I ugree with youz!" or 1 post that actually answers the question you have?

11. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have to say helvetti, you do seem to be an unbelievable idiot, from your randomly giving likes to all the idiots complaining about the likes system (for which you were rightly infracted and probably should have been banned again, can't believe they actually let you back here to be honest!) why do you have such a problem with the authority of this forum??
    You claim to have done more than $100,000 worth of business here and you seem totally ungrateful for that, have you earned anywhere near as that much from the ridiculous warrior forum?? i bet not!
    And seriously if you think that stupid twat filled warrior forum is better than DP then why don't you just up sticks, leave this forum to the people who appreciate the work being done here and sod off there with the rest of the idiots :)

malky66, Jan 31, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  12. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:

There is no doubt that the quality has improved in most parts of the forum (still a quite a way from desirable though).

But that's not true for BST though, over there both quality AND quantity has gone down. 90% less users browsing BST means less buyers which has driven away quality sellers. All that is left is low quality sellers and few casual buyers.

Services sections are mostly dead. I had some content writer friends who used to tell me how 1 hour of effort trying to find work on DP gave them work for 10-20 hours. These days you have to spend more time trying to find work than actually doing work.

You have access to site and domain stats, how many of the listings actually get sold and paid for? I would bet less than 10%.

There was a time when DP was the one-stop shop for selling and buying anything related to IM. You only went to flippa or dforum if you wanted to sell some high-end website or domain (and even then you still listed on DP).

It's not too late to take DP back to being a market-leader yet, but it may soon be. You have the opportunity to create the ebay of IM products and services. Just make it a good place for sellers to do business and a site like DP will attract buyers on its own.

My suggestions:

1) Introduce unlimited paid bumps, (with restrictions or differential pricing, depending on which position a listing is bumped from) sellers love this and this will favor quality sellers over shit ones as only ones doing good business would be able to afford repeated paid bumps. (right now its priced very cheap (like 1$) with premium membership, the price is hardly a deterrent but time limit is, this favors quantity over quality)

If I had 4 free bumps a month with premium membership, I would bump all my threads even if I had 0 sales before. But if I had to pay $20 for a bump each time I would only do it repeatedly if buyers like me and I'm getting business. A paid bump system would filter poor seller from the market and attract high quality sellers/service providers.

2) Modify Instant pay system to meet the needs for services. Maybe let sellers specify a base price for the services ($10/hour/1000 words etc) and let buyers pay the sellers through the thread for the number of hours/words. So if a seller provides a service at $20 hour then each buyer should be able enter the number of hours the seller worked for him (before or after) and create a custom payment link for the thread.

3) Don't delete the legacy itrader for 3-4 years..

With a decent product one could earn that much from WF in a month. They have the buyers, and there are surprisingly no scams there with no feedback system.
    It's a good place for sellers (access to buyers, thread doesn't get buried, really all that you need) but I don't have anything to offer to their market yet, maybe someday I will and maybe someday I will make 200,000$ there. I have seen guides and plugins sell thousands of copies there at prices as high 100$ in a matter of weeks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Helvetii, Jan 31, 2013 IP