1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Name And Seo ?! Answer Me Please

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Eslam N, Jan 30, 2013.

hey guys how r u

i was asking about my domain name its

www.geeks-house.com its about series of how to stuff and computer things

im from egypt and i just joined the forum lately and i saw that hyphens arent preferred in the domain name

so can you explain me why ? and the name of my site are good or not ?

im planing to achieve any goal and win money

can you suggest any names for my site that makes visitors love it ?

Eslam N, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, hyphens aren't good if you want to have type-in traffic. There's a chance your returning visitors might go to geekshouse.com, but on the other hand, browser autocomplete based upon history is very good these days, so it's less of an issue. However, word of mouth - people might forget the hyphen (and not everyone understands what was is). It terms of SEO, I wouldn't worry about it much and focus more on your content. An EMD can help, but for keyword domains (which yours isn't). (Contrary to some misguided belief, EMDs still have value despite the update - the issue is quality.)

Short domain names without hyphens are good for word-of-mouth and type-ins, but if those two don't matter to you then don't worry about it.

ryan_uk, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  3. Eslam N

Eslam N Member

Best Answers:
    okay thanks but you have a suggestion for me ? i want to be ranked #1 on some words can i do this with my site name ? or i must change it ?

Eslam N, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  4. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    It's your content that matters. You can do it based upon quality content that is actually useful to people. Take advantage of social media to communicate with your audience, build relationships. Not just to post your links.

In SEO, don't expect instant results - it will take months. Develop a content marketing strategy. I suggest you start reading up on posts at:

http://www.seomoz.org/blog
    http://www.seomoz.org/ugc

SEO moz and its community have been ahead in terms of SEO for years (regarding the type of SEO that's required to succeed now). You'll find a lot of useful information to help you develop a strategy relevant to your site.

ryan_uk, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  5. rprost

rprost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The site name is not really going to be a factor in whether you can rank it or not, the content on the site will be far more important.

rprost, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  6. Eslam N

Eslam N Member

Best Answers:
    I have an arabic site and im num #1 for 10 i have good traffic but the CPC for arabs is very very low i get 1 cent per click the highest thing i got was 5 cent lol i know how to seo but now i have a decision to change the site name to

HowTo---- i will think for something good if u have any suggestions i will be thankful for you

the site will be for computer and lessons for it

i checked howtostuff.com
    and howtoguide
    and thehowtoguide

all are booked

Eslam N, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  7. rprost

rprost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Again, it doesn't matter what the site is called, what matters is the content on the site.

rprost, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  8. Eslam N

Eslam N Member

Best Answers:
    okay but the name will matter in EMD cases and thats what im planing to do

Eslam N, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  9. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    So, if you're not earning enough in Arabic, start an English language site, but you'll need to work to gain traffic from countries such as the US and UK, otherwise your adverts are still going to convert poorly. To be honest, though, tech stuff can have poor CPC and low number of advertisers anyway. You might be better off with a different ad service.

ryan_uk, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  10. Eslam N

Eslam N Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply
    Which field do u recommend me to start with

sports or anything else ?

Eslam N, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  11. ryan_uk

Best Answers:

Sports? No.

Pick a field that interests you, but is also profitable. So, for example, you might be interested in DIY (home repairs) and recently installed a new kitchen. So, you could do keyword research based upon this, select the ones that are most profitable (in your view), but also not out of your reach in terms of SEO and then make a site.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    ryan_uk, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  12. Eslam N

Eslam N Member

Best Answers:
    okay thanks :)

Eslam N, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  13. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Oops, typo, I meant sports, mate. I'll be glad when night shift is over.

Anyway, all the best with it, mate. Finding the right niche isn't always simple. Some sites I have bore the hell out of me, but the niches pay well, so I keep at it.

ryan_uk, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  14. karthick9

karthick9 Member

Best Answers:
    User friendly words are best for domain name. This makes some more traffic to your site. But this will not affect your keyword ranking only content will decides your ranking positions. Surely this hyphen will affect your site but not more only a little bit.

karthick9, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  15. ryan_uk

Best Answers:

Do you think Google, Yahoo, Mozilla or StarBucks were particularly user-friendly? Not really, but hard work developed them into common place brands. So, that's not strictly true, although I guess it depends upon what you define as "user-friendly". Pronounceable? Then yes, they are "user-friendly". In terms of meaningful, then no. Meaningful would be "Newcastle Building Society" (the purpose of the business and its location - or origin, if you like - are clearly stated).

ryan_uk, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  16. karthick9

karthick9 Member

Best Answers:
    Google, Yahoo, Mozilla are not having any symbols in between them, this is a also rule of user friendly. I have not mentioned that user friendly means meaning full word, a word which is catchy and easy to keep in mind are all comes under user friendly categories. Obviously an meaning less word can also be ranked high if we do a hard work.

karthick9, Jan 30, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  17. ryan_uk

Best Answers:

Agreed. A lot of the most successful brands have catchy, short names that start of with no real meaning (or not much of one anyway).

ryan_uk, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  18. James Byun

James Byun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you trying to get emd? (exact match domain) or partial?

James Byun, Jan 31, 2013 IP