1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Top Problems I See On New Digitalpoint, Summarized

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by cbusiness, Jan 29, 2013.

I notice there's 3 members fighting off all the people 'claiming' and probably actually are, some of your key business participants. Suggest you take heed before this forum goes down in flames, vs mocking & taking smart allecky cracks.

1) Messages , we need bulk delete option

2) Mods should be able to issue likes to Vet members if it's really so simple as 'all they have to do is make 3 quality posts'. If they make a serious post here about the issue , simply aid their request with a profile review ( specifically those with posts dating back 1 year or more ) .

3) You can't sell now, without revealing your domain. Seasoned sellers and buyers value privacy.

4) If we are thriving off likes, perhaps posts should have a bigger 'like' button ?

5) The snarly comments from some members, calling people dumb / stupid/ etc. Regardless if they are DigitalPoint admin / founder's friend, deserve penalty

6) If moderation is a big problems, adding a few new mods might be good idea.

Anyone agree?

cbusiness, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    sweatlana likes this.
  2. langau

langau Member

Best Answers:
    Personally i cant say much about point no 2 and 3, but i do agree with your point no 1, 4, 5, and 6

langau, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1. Agreed... but it's not a high enough priority that we are going to build it ourselves. It will be something that would come from a XenForo update.

2. Mods can gives likes just like anyone else. There's nothing preventing any established member from giving a like on an old post.

3. Probably not going to change, sorry.

4. No, sorry.

5. If you see someone attacking/harassing other users, just use the Report post option. As far as anyone being my friend, there's absolutely no one on the forum (friend or otherwise) that is immune to our rules (mods included). If a moderator created a duplicate account, they would be banned like any other user (for example).

6. Moderation isn't a big problem... reported items are handled very quickly (especially under the new reports queue system that is in the new version of the site).

digitalpoint, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    They are being handled fast. It is cool to see moderating happening in the SPY view. If that was also in the old site I never saw it.

browntwn, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It was on the old spy too, but just didn't happen as fast after a report.

digitalpoint, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  6. sweatlana

sweatlana Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    one more suggestion..... there should be indication to know that if the other member is online or not.

sweatlana, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It tells you if you look at their member card or profile.

digitalpoint, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  8. sweatlana

sweatlana Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    on profile page it shows only last activity but not show the real time status on or off

sweatlana, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It shows last activity WITH the time... like for you it shows 2 minutes ago.

10. xInd

xInd Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I hope it's ok to join in on this thread with my post, it seems right on topic to what I'm talking about and better than starting a new thread, if I am in error I apologize.

I suggest making infraction notifications more clear, and include the URL to the thread. Getting an infraction when I haven't logged in for a long while and haven't posted in months, that only contains a snippet of what I posted, doesn't help. I don't know what rule the infraction is regarding, what thread it was in or anything. By what is says, I'm guessing my reply to a thread was preferred to be a PM. A rule I think is counterproductive to the community but I understand it's need and do my best to send PM's instead of replying to threads, but that rule is open to interpretation. I asked a question that I felt would be relevant to anyone reading the thread, so that makes me doubt whether that's really what the infraction was for.

I think part of the point of infractions is to help make sure members improve their habits and do better, but we can't really do that if we don't know what it's about. Also, the link in the email, should open the actual warnings tab in the profile rather than just the start of the profile. Granted I know where the tab is now, but it took me quite a while to find it since everything is in different places now.

So I'm guessing since this post was from last year, that anyone could suddenly start getting infractions from months, even years ago for simple mistakes they've made in the past? So a new member could come along, make a couple dozen minor infractions, go unnoticed, learn, do better, improve, become an active positive part of the community helping others left right and center, but then get banned permanently because somebody tracked down their old mistakes and issued a pile of infractions all at once?

Aside from that, well done on the big change Shawn, thanks for keeping up with DP all these years. I hope you don't get too many headaches with all the changes and people's reactions to them.
    Cheers.
    -Mike.

xInd, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  11. cbusiness

cbusiness Active Member

Best Answers:
    The internet's greatest sites are successful because of heir simplicity

While this isn't what would be considered a mainstream forum......... still might want to consider that principal of K.I.S.S.

cbusiness, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The warning notices should contain the original post in it's entirety (at the bottom of the email).

We absolutely do... We simplified everything we could (we did away with multiple tiers of unestablished users, we simplified which areas unestablished members have access to, we simplified the rules, we did away with obscure/confusing features/settings that were rarely used, we did away with the confusion of having non-verified ownership domains for sale mixed in with verified domains, did away with spammy blogs, did away with the useless CMS, public groups, photo albums, etc.)

While everyone might not like some of the things we've simplified, we are all about it. :)

ryan_uk likes this.
  13. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The "internet's greatest sites" are *not* successful due to their simplicity but rather to their vibrant membership.
    This new DP is about encouraging the *quality* of membership as opposed to the *quantity*. You seem almost obsessed with finding fault with the changes. Why don't you go and check out these other "greatest sites" if they are so much to your liking, and the new DP apparently isn't?

Spoiltdiva, Jan 30, 2013 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  14. xInd

xInd Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry Shawn, I meant I think it should include the thread URL, yes I saw the copy of the post I made, but I guess perhaps the original thread may have been removed, as I see that some old infractions do have links to the thread in the profile area.

Is there a way to include a definition of the infraction, or which rule was in question? I think that would be very helpful in the long run for helping all members adhere to all the rules and avoid mistakes.

On another note, I just noticed that the twitter feed feature at the top of the site is getting cut off on my screen. I run 1080p and the site takes up only about 55% of available screen space in the width, but the end of the tweets seem to all be chopped.

xInd, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It intentionally doesn't link to the thread because oftentimes the thread is deleted (that's the only reason really it includes the post in the email itself).

As far as what the warning was for, I believe it should say in the email as well as on your user profile on the "Warnings" tab.

16. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

I think it depends upon the length of the tweet (it's the same on 1280x1024).

ryan_uk, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  17. cbusiness

cbusiness Active Member

Best Answers:
    you are free to disagree. thanks for replying but not helping.

and their vibrant membership? Lol Google had no membership at first. they started based off simplicity and now they are what? #1

cbusiness, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  18. xInd

xInd Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

You're right it does include the warning type, sorry. I guess my confusion is just about the inappropriate/dissllowed post warning type, as it never explains what specifically wasn't allowed to be posted. I guess that's a tough one though since there can be so many things, but I think it would be helpful maybe to add another category or two to the warnings for the more common ones there, like post vs pm or useless reply like "thanks" or "sent pm".

Anyways I think I should shut up and spend some more time exploring the changes, thanks again Shawn.

xInd, Feb 4, 2013 IP
  19. love2all

love2all Member

Best Answers:
    For last activity, we should have to adopt a long procedure.

First click on the user name, then click on its profile after that ( in the 3rd step) we could see its last activity with only its last online time.
    Better to again set current Online or Offline status of the members as in previous forum style.
    We appreciate if you do this.

quote="sweatlana, post: 18425659, member: 109512"]on profile page it shows only last activity but not show the real time status on or off[/quote]

love2all, Feb 4, 2013 IP
  20. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This is counter productive for stalkers*.

You can guess if they are online by the last seen time, but yes this would be useful for lazy stalkers* if a green or red blob was next to the username.

*Obviously joking.

ryan_uk, Feb 5, 2013 IP