1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to apply to writing jobs and actually get them

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by sweetcrabhoney18, Jan 18, 2013.

Hi!

So I'm posting this for new freelance / copy writers.. lately I've been getting these really general applications for jobs and it's starting to drive me NUTS!

So here are some tips for newbies within this field:

1. Please provide more details about yourself . Sending the message " I'm interested in this job." Isn't going to tell the recruiter anything about you!
    2. Have samples ready to show in the very first message. Especially if they ask for it with their ad.
    3. Read the whole ad before applying and ask questions if you have them before quoting a price.
    4. Fill the requirements and if you know you don't then don't apply.
    5. Add some personality to your application. Say "Hi , How are you?" has gotten me jobs
    6. Avoid negative words .. I.E." I'm not really that good at 'topic' but I'm willing to try."

Any one else have some great tips?

sweetcrabhoney18, Jan 18, 2013 IP
    MarTh- likes this.
  2. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Follow instructions. If the ad states to contact a person a certain way with the following criteria, then do what is asked if it is a job you are interested in.

Make sure your reply to the ad is written with perfect grammar, spelling, and the use of punctuation in whatever language you are communicating in. Your reply should make sense when read. Not awkward. For example, a person whose mother tongue is English can spot someone a mile away who is trying to pretend they have a better grasp of English than what they actually have. This applies to people as well where English is their native language. I've heard some horrible spoken English, with their written English being just as poor, if not worse, from people where English is either their first language or their only language. Never dismiss someone simply because of where they live. Judge them by their work, how well they follow instructions given in the ad, and how they communicate with you.

Always present yourself in a professional manner.

Keep your ego in check. You might be a very skilled writer who is more than capable of completing the project with results beyond the buyers expectations, but if you come across as an arrogant ass, you won't be doing yourself any favors.

Don't try too hard to sell yourself. Give the buyer the requested information and leave out the hype and fluff. Keep your reply short and to the point. Introduce yourself and give the buyer relevant information as to the job, but don't overdo it. Appearing desperate or too aggressive is never a good thing.

TextServices, Jan 18, 2013 IP
    WebBuddy likes this.
  3. Crimebuster_of_the_Sea

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And the number 1 rule? Don't start your message/email with "Dear Sir".

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea, Jan 18, 2013 IP
    pigpromoter and sweetcrabhoney18 like this.
  4. cjp214

cjp214 Member

Best Answers:
    Like TextServices said, I think the key is not trying too hard to sell yourself. I think a lot of people forget that it really isn't about you (the writer applying for the job). It's about the person hiring you and how you can help them make more money.

I like to keep it short and too the point, and for some clients, this is all they need to hire. But I always include a link to my professional website (which I strongly recommend for any new copywriters) for the clients who want more information.

Best,

Corey

cjp214, Jan 19, 2013 IP
    MarTh- likes this.
  5. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I read in the WSJ a good tactic is to find something in common like this and then talk with them actively, almost to the point of being annoying. But if you can build some common ground with clients like you mentioned then it may help build a positive business relationship.

MarTh-, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  6. maxauthority

maxauthority Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great tips, OP.

My tip is to make it abundantly clear that you are ready, willing, and able to help the prospective client with HIS or HER goals. That's the only thing that matters. Focus on what can you do FOR THEM.

By the way, does anyone have a list of sites where people looking for writers post ads?

maxauthority, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  7. blueink

blueink Member

Best Answers:
    Being available on chat all your waking hours is great for a writer looking for prospective clients. This means that a writer has to provide his/her IM details to the client while applying for the job. I have got a number of gigs because I am always available on chat where new clients can add me and talk to me about their content requirements. I have also had the feeling that people are looking for service providers who are approachable and available. Also, you don't really need to keep your laptop open all the time to be online. Just be online on your phone.

blueink, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  8. blueink

blueink Member

Best Answers:
    Elance, Freelancer, odesk.. lots of free sites where people post ads for writers. However, I don't use any of them. I hate bidding. :(

blueink, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  9. GamingOn

GamingOn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think a great way to get writing jobs is to use Fiverr I use Fiverr and just started there and got a job for $5 which you get $4 out of remember this when posting your service. :D Offer 2 200 word articles for $5 and you are sure to get some orders. :D I am doing a little more then that but I do quality work and just want some good rep on Fiverr.

GamingOn, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  10. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    Such great tips everyone! I did completely forget the "Dear Sir!" I can't stand that. Drives me nuts...

sweetcrabhoney18, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  11. Julzwriter

Julzwriter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand, what is wrong with starting a message with "Dear Sir?"

Julzwriter, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Sir or Dear Madam generally indicates that you don't care enough about the position to try and determine the person's name.

You have to be careful with knowing too much about the decision maker. I once found a potential boss's Facebook page. I knew absolutely everything about him from his favorite restaurant to the names of his kids and the sports teams they played on - his whole life was there. I knew not to reveal too much but even knowing he had children who played soccer really creeped him out. The fact that he had a picture in his office of his kids with soccer balls made it seem like a safe topic. lol.

SweetHoney...how would you recommend someone explain to a decision maker that they don't have experience writing in X, Y or Z? And what would be wrong with saying something like I've not written about cockatiels but I have written about conures?

YMC, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  13. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi. YMC, Long time no see! I agree with your point about dear sir. It's just mean for hard working women.
    Now .. onto your question...
    When I don't know a topic I normally either refer the client to someone who might, decline the project and wish them luck or offer to try the project with a sample article for half off the classic price. Many times the sample article gets reviewed and myself and the client learn how to go forward with the project. I don't think it's wrong to note which subjects you've written on before and comparing them to the subject you might write on. I've done a lot of copywriting as well as ghostwriting and both help me with other projects. It all adds to a freelancers experience level.

LOVE cockatiels! LOL.. Hope I helped. :)

sweetcrabhoney18, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  14. Lewis Doe

Lewis Doe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is plenty of work out there for people who are willing to find it. I find the best way to apply for jobs is to simply write your application in a clean, professional and appealing way.

Express yourself, show what you can offer and if you attach a CV, make sure it's minimal.

Bear in mind how many CVs some job providers have to go through so if yours is short and to the point, you have a better chance of having it read thoroughly.

Lewis Doe, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  15. actnews

actnews Active Member

Best Answers:
    i will add this start with low bids and be sure to have a good feedback, most if client look for freelancers with a good average of feedback.

actnews, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  16. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

Unless I'm on someone's payroll as being on-call 24 hours per day, I am never going to make myself that available to anyone. I'm all for keeping in touch with clients throughout the creative process, but unless you're paying for around the clock availability, you're not getting it from me.

Senobia, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  17. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

Anyone who values their talent should stay far, far away from sites like this. The only reputation you're building there is for being a peon willing to work for paltry wages. Get your own website and market yourself.

Senobia, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  18. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

A lady would understand what's wrong with starting a message with "Dear Sir", especially the one who might be receiving said message.

Senobia, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  19. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

If you start out with low bids, you'll end up with low bids. Negotiation is fine, but setting yourself up to be taken advantage of from the beginning by being willing to accept far less than what you're worth is ignorant.

Senobia, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  20. actnews

actnews Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you, it's just due to high competition on those websites and the number of bids per job, this is a way to get positive feedback then the freelancer can ask for high rate according to his value.
    regards

actnews, Feb 7, 2013 IP