1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do You Create A Forum On A Website Or A Standalone Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by SCOBAHCAN, Jan 25, 2013.

Hi can someone please explain to me and asked much detail and as simply as possible how to make up a forum in a website.

I have been thinking about beginning a forum for some time now , either on my website or on a completely different topic as a standalone forum.

If I do a standalone one can someone please tell me some of the more popular topics as I don’t want to put a lot into one that is destined to fail.

Thanks Craig

SCOBAHCAN, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  2. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    My advice to you is that you shouldn't start anything you aren't passionate about. The busiest forum I ever owned was one related to gaming because I am a gamer and the content was primarily related to the games I was interested in. Why? Well, because to get it going it usually takes 2-3 people having random conversations about things they are interested in. Others will chime in over time.

If your intentions are to start a forum, let it sit, never post on it... you'll probably end up with a forum that never receives traffic. It has to be active and have a buzz about it in order for it to succeed. Good luck!

PHPGator, Jan 25, 2013 IP
    r3dt@rget and digitalpoint like this.
  3. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:
    To start a forum, I would recommend going with a free option such as MyBB or PHPBB.

The fact is, most forums fail despite all good intentions. If you start with a free version and it takes off, then you can look at upgrading it.

An easy way to start is to take up a cheap hosting offer that has CPanel with auto installers such as Fantastico and Softaculous. You can setup a forum in about 30 seconds with just a few mouse clicks.

Austech, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  4. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PHPGator is absolutely correct. The two best forums I created were a result of me being completely involved in the community. One was gaming, a specific console. The other was an ATV forum for a specific model. Since I was basically an expert on the subjects I could create content and help people with questions. Over time people see the activity and either want to join in the discussions or ask questions because they see the type of value available at your forum.

The best way to start out would be with a free option, as Austech mentioned. I really like Simple Machines Forum (SMF) and Vanilla. The software you run in the beginning doesn't make or break you, but spending a lot of cash on software and then giving up just puts you out the money.

r3dt@rget, Feb 6, 2013 IP