1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Minimum 3 Likes To Post In Bst Rule

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Mac Solutions, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm at work now and quite busy but decided to read my e-mails and saw your post, so busy or not I'll respond.
    Look you say that you are on here to buy, sell etc. Fine you can keep doing this as you've always done. But now you should also contribute to the site by giving advice and helping others, especially newbies.
    That would not be "posting to chase for like". And helping others as opposed to merely serving yourself would not constitude spam.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 24, 2013 IP
    Mick2012 likes this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually we are seeing far less spam overall. And users are getting banned for "like trading", so... :)

digitalpoint, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  3. skabt

skabt Banned

Best Answers:
    i was here to contribute and learn, but at some point i step on a moderator tail, then my account get bar for the reason of duplicate account without proving which account and so on.
    I lost a very old account with some good itrading and ton of thanks (if u recall), than i coming in as pure purchase but some time do contribute .....

btw how newbie given me a like/thanks for what i contribute ?

to admin :
    i actually received few email regarding "like" prices base on this post, is hard to block them, but worst you given them extra chances to make few buck ..
    far less spam ? nope, look at those who start thread in this section, most of them is seeking for like ..

skabt, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  4. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    report those messages so they get banned.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    indyonline, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  5. CharlieL

CharlieL Active Member

Best Answers:
    What's the best way to get likes? Does anyone know? indyonline, you said it was easy: how do you do it?

CharlieL, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  6. indyonline

Best Answers:
    It's a community... If you don't like it or can't contribute, than leave. Whiners are not missed around here...

7. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Start a thread and share some valuable, new, news. Click on 'what's new' in the secondary nav bar and go respond to peoples post that have not been responded to. Go join in on a conversations, joke around with people, that would surely get you some likes.

8. indyonline

Best Answers:
    I guess in all his confusion he forgot that duplicate accounts are not allowed either...

Spoiltdiva and digitalpoint like this.
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I feel like the people asking *how* to get a like are maybe the same poeple who ask, "Please tell me what keys to press on my keyboard to make a high quality, relevant website."

indyonline likes this.
  10. CharlieL

CharlieL Active Member

Best Answers:

Now that's not fair, Shawn. This isn't Reddit. Likes are not so easy to come by. Let's assume indyonline is a fairly average user. He has posted 4000 times, and has 130 likes (I simplify). This means that for every 30 posts, on average, he got 1 like. Meaning that it would take a new user 90 posts to get 3 likes. Assume the average poster makes 1 post a day...that's 3 months of regular posting just to get 3 likes. And this is assuming indyonline is an average user. I've seen users on here with 900+ posts with 2 or less likes. So I don't think it's unreasonable to ask how to get likes on this forum.

CharlieL, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  11. FBZ

FBZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    This. ^

It's just another method of monetization. Either you get 3 likes here, or pay $40 for a post at Wickedfire... Bleh and you would think the internet would become more open and accessible instead of more controlling. Evolution in reverse.

FBZ, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well his "likes" is a carryover from the old system that people didn't really use (the old reputation system). Right out of the gate, you can take a 8-10x multiplier for the number of "likes" that came in from the old reputation system. Here's the stats of how many likes are happening per day (January 19 and prior it was under the old rep system... that again, wasn't used much).

[​IMG]

Under the old system, EVERY user could leave rep/likes, so even with FAR more users being able to use it, it was used overall 10x less. And those numbers are only going to grow as more users become established and more users get used to it.

The point is that him having 130 likes in 4,000 posts probably would have been closer to 1,500 likes if we always had the current like system in place.

If you can think of a better way to mitigate low quality users and spammers, we always listen to suggestions. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with monetization. If that were the case, we would have set the bar FAR higher than 3 likes. If someone can't post a single post that is anyone else likes... well... honestly, we just don't need that user. I'm far more interested in quality over quantity.

13. FBZ

FBZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ah. Well sorry for judging. I guess I can see the fact that if a user either wishes to contribute money or useful content, they're dedicated to using this website for its intended use. But I know I'll probably always forget to like a post that I enjoyed; maybe because of bongtokes, or maybe from not really caring. So hopefully, there's lots of people who care more than me. haha

FBZ, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  14. indyonline

Best Answers:
    can't use my stats as a measurement, I don't get many likes or rep, I have pissed too many people off or I would have more =)

15. indyonline

Best Answers:
    lol I mentioned something similar yesterday

16. indyonline

Best Answers:
    I don't get it... I've got 9 likes since the new system just by helping people around here with the new site. and people are whining about 3... laziness if you ask me...

17. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I've gotten 10...started out with 34 likes on Monday now have 44.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 24, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  18. indyonline

Best Answers:
    see, it's not hard to CONTRIBUTE.
    Like I said before, it's laziness(mostly).

19. love2all

love2all Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, might be later on DP Admin thought for this situation to give some relation in 3 "Likes" rule.
    No doubt it hurts to so many reputable old members.

love2all, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I feel like your definition of reputable and my definition aren't the same. So far I haven't seen a single user on the forum that I even recognize the username from before the migration that didn't already have 3 likes as part of the migration.