1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AVOID NAME.COM At all costs... They steal domain names

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by domainloco.net, Dec 29, 2012.

Name.com is known for keeping expired domains for up to 4 years AFTER expiration. They delete the expired domain from your account after 10 days, then they renew it under privacy for two extra years so you're forced to pay a ridiculous fee to get it back. Nope, they don't want you to redeem the domain. In fact, they let you know the domain was bought by "someone else" which is a lie.

Not talking about $89 renewal/redemption fee. They took a domain, put it up for sale for $799 and it's been like this since 2010.

How can you tell the domain is stolen?

1. They have "Protected Domain Services" as their privacy.
    2. SedoParking.com name servers
    3. When you click through the "buy this domain" link on the parked page, it takes you to Name.com's page, NOT Sedo.
    4. There is a "REGISTRAR STATUS: EXPIRED" notification inside the WHOIS report.
    5. Most domain are priced at $799 or $250.
    6. The "premium domains" with an individual Name.com landing page.

Avoid Name.com, if you value your domains.

Most investors rely on the few extra days we get to redeem the domain and are happy to do so.

domainloco.net, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  2. EvanP

EvanP Banned

Best Answers:
    The moral of the story is for you to renew your domains as soon as you get the first warning that it's going to expire, if you let your domains expire then it's your own problem what happens to them after that.

EvanP, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  3. lordgreen

lordgreen Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is a pitty you have such experience, but I have being with name.com since 2008 and i have never face such sittuation or I do not really understand your analogy well enough. I have waited for my domain to expire and renewed it after sometime arround 10 days or more, something was going wrong with your account, why not contact them and lodge your complain rather.

Cheers

lordgreen, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  4. venturefox

venturefox Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is a very dishonest business practise and a great conflict of interest in the domain registrar business. You should just save up and take the $800 hit as a learning experience. It just depends if the domains value has enough value to warrant it.

venturefox, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  5. usa666

usa666 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have used GoDaddy.com for quite some years with no real issues or problems. I tried Name.com when I got domains transferred there. I did not like Names interface and quickly transfer them over to GoDaddy.

This makes me glad that I have picked GoDaddy. They have earned their brand loyalty from me.

usa666, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  6. Geek Slash

Geek Slash Member

Best Answers:
    This should be a lesson not to let your domain expire. All registrars will take your domain off you if it expires eventually, just renew with plenty of time and add several years to domains that make you good money.

Geek Slash, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  7. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is a chance your domain is backordered.
    Anyway, I'd suggest you to move to Domain.gs

dlatua, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  8. anxjuz86

anxjuz86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol. Agree. Why don't you subscribe for at least 3 years renewal. That's would be better I guess.

anxjuz86, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  9. Glock

Glock Active Member

Best Answers:
    Name.com has every right to renew an expired domain. its your fault you didnt renewed the domain in time. Once its expired you dont have it under control

Glock, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  10. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    every registrar sell the expired domains. u can see godaddy, namejet have bigger auction system for that ;)

chandan123, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  11. Thomas G

Thomas G Banned

Best Answers:
    As others have mentioned, Name.com don't use any procedures which other domain registrars do know. You need to understand that domain registrars are also companies and their targets are to make money, customer satisfaction comes second in the priority list as with any company or business.

Thomas G, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  12. Swift Tony

Swift Tony Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I will kinda agree with all previous orators, its your fault for sure that you let your domain die. You just probably do not take it seriously. Of course there might be some circumstances which make you unable to pay in time and so on, but still.. by making mistakes you let others make money. Sad truth of the world.

Swift Tony, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  13. BncApps

BncApps Member

Best Answers:
    Good to know. I've had one minor issue over at GoDaddy a few years ago, where my domain was reported for spam (link shortener, someone spammed it) and GoDaddy wanted $300 or they would take the domain :/

BncApps, Jan 22, 2013 IP