1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feature New Site...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Jan 19, 2013.

1. tavenger5

tavenger5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also, if you want to see a steaming pile, run xda through webpagetest

tavenger5, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  2. civilwartalk

civilwartalk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great to see another major forum move to xF! I agree with Shawn, and I also run my forum on xF, and if current version ends up being the last version, which I don't expect it to be, I can happily run on this platform for at least another 5 to 10 years.

Nice job with all your custom code, the new Tracker is working great for me, although I'd love to see a few adjustments to the layout once things settle down, I like the old daily/weekly/monthly columns format better, it took up less vertical space and was easier to read I thought, but overall it's a great implementation.

civilwartalk, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  3. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously now, why does SO MANY care how many requests a page load makes? As long as the DP server can handle all the traffic requests, WHY DO YOU PEOPLE CARE ??

The site is as fast as it was..so what's the problem?

goscript, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  4. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, site's speed is still slower for me. I am getting annoyed with that.
    Is that reindexing still happening?

dumindushalika, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  5. falsebook

falsebook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for me speed and all is ok.But i am not quite sure with likes!! i can't make my contribution in marketplace now.I don't know where to go,what to get.confused..really..:(

falsebook, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  6. t0p3a

t0p3a Member

Best Answers:
    I don't like the new "like system" is crap and probably going to kill the community slowly...

Post count was way better. You said "like system to stop from crap posts in market place" but that doesn't stop user to post crap inside the posts.

t0p3a, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  7. Frost1

Frost1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You need 3 likes from established members to start a thread in the marketplace (you can get that by contributing useful content to Digital Point). You can still send the buyer a personal conversation (aka private message) to sell them what you're offering or reply to their thread. Good luck.

Frost1, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Back end indexing aside -- 1.5 megabytes in 50+ files JUST for a forum index of 9k of plaintext will NEVER be fast... especially with HALF that being javascripted asshattery; Gotta love a code to content ratio by the time you add the MASSIVE mess of ineptitude called the CSS and the garbage markup in excess of 200:1 -- NOT.

Here's a tip, when there's ten times more javascript than there are IMAGES, somebody needs to do the world a favor, back the **** away from the keyboard, and take up something a bit less detail oriented like macramé... and it will NEVER be fast. Reflows ALONE turn rendering into a painful mess.

It's ALMOST usable scripting not just disabled, but outright BLOCKED from even loading.

deathshadow, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  9. civilwartalk

Best Answers:
    Google Pagespeed ranks DP at 88 out of 100, with many penalties for image size, however that seems forgivable, and fixable. The only asshattery I see here are @deathshadow's comments...

10. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This page takes 14 seconds on onload and 10 seconds on reload. I'm not sure if this is because of reindexing, but it seems to need tweaking.

Personally I really dislike the 'like' system. It may seem trendy due to facebook using it, but for informational forums it is simply not effective. @digitalpoint You say that quality is more important than quantity now. How do you measure quality without points? Now its just a matter of members liking each other. The amount of quality and negative quality is out of the equation.

alfa1, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  11. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It has only been like one day and I desperately miss being able to give people negative rep. There were always too many idiots and too little time, but now when I see an absurdly stupid post that is not necessarily reportable as a violation of some DP rule, there is nothing I can do short of replying to the thread and telling the person.

I miss negative rep capability. :(

Everything else seems to be working well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    browntwn, Jan 21, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and robjones like this.
  12. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    System's functioning fine for me. Ditto what Brown said about missing neg-reps. Honestly think those serve a purpose. Not something you wanna use every few minutes, but having been in forums with and without I can attest they are a helpful tool to help members self police the seriously spamalicious.

robjones, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  13. civilwartalk

Best Answers:
    Hey Shawn, are you going update DP to include a responsive design at any point soon?

14. fskhan619

fskhan619 Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely Love the new Layout and design. It's better and fast as compared to the old one. Great Job! (Y)

fskhan619, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  15. falsebook

falsebook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yup.I feel the same.I used to browse here at least 10 hours a day.but today i used maximum of 1 hour may be.I just feel like confused,may be time will change it.I feel like Agoraphobia

falsebook, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  16. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You should care actually... we minimize http requests (for example with static content like images, JS, CSS, etc.) the web server instructs the client's browser to not even bother checking if it's changed for at least a year. While it's impossible to get the number of requests to zero, getting as close to that as possible is always a good thing.

Yeah it is, sorry...

It probably won't completely stop it, but at the very least it de-incentivizes it. Before you could in theory make 25 gibberish/pointless posts in order to gain access to Buy/Se//Trade... Now 1,000 gibberish posts still won't get you there.

I don't love the Like system, but using it as a very easy/simple basis for escalation for an established member is at the very least an interesting idea. It's certainly better than what we had before of 25 random posts and being a member for 14 days.

Either way, we are fairly fluid. If stuff needs to change or we come up with a better way, obviously we can move towards that.

I agree with wishing there was an "unlike" or whatever you would call it. XF doesn't have the ability to do it, and it wasn't important enough to build it from scratch. Hopefully they add it in a future version at some point.

Doubtful...

digitalpoint, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  17. Shelley_c

Shelley_c Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure your aware of this but thought i'd mention on the offchance. The smiley image doesn't show in the editor dropdown. I'm using Firefox not sure whether it's not displaying in other browsers.

DP_nosmiley_ddmenu.png

Shelley_c, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  18. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Without negative reputation, misbehaving members will not be corrected or alerted to their misbehaviour. They do not receive hints on how to improve. This is an important factor in self moderation of a community. Without it, moderation workload goes up significantly. i.e. more warnings, infractions, bans, complaints, crap to clean up. I know how you love that. lol.

Isn't there a reputation system addon for XenForo somewhere?

alfa1, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  19. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    ... and no offense that shows you need to learn a bit about how sites work; and why some sites are slower than others.

Most browsers limit you to eight simultaneous requests -- script loaded requests can hang rendering and take even longer -- net result is that under ideal circumstances first-load every request past the first eight averages 200ms overhead -- and depending on the CLIENT SIDE request time, time of day, if you're sharing a connection, if you've got stuff like torrents or netflix running in the background -- can easily hit over a second PER REQUEST... suddenly a page with 10k of content JUST in handshaking to the server can take anywhere from ten seconds to two minutes just from having 50 or so files! That number is DOUBLED if you are running everything on HTTPS -- even with sleazy trickery like "SPDY" involved -- in fact, SPDY makes the requests take LONGER, it only helps with transfer.

So it does count -- A LOT!

I mean a clean firstload for me here is running > a minute, and sub-pages are taking around 20 seconds from the start of transfer of the first sub-file -- which transfer shouldn't even be starting until after the server has handled anything that 'indexing' would seriously impact! I'm on a 22mpbs connection, so it's not my end -- it's the absurd number of files, absurd amount of scripting, being impacted by the 508ms average ping time I'm seeing to the server...

All because we're looking at ... well, let's use the board index as an example:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/

12 Documents - 421k compressed, 510k uncompressed
    15 Images - 76k

16 Scripts - 775k (no compression)
    2 Style sheets - 147k (no compression)

For something that without compression shouldn't probably need more than 40k of markup, 40k of CSS, and 40k of Scripting running around 20 files MAX!

Of course for me here, just submitting a post takes a minute plust with that stupid ajax scripting crap enabled so... again why BLOCKING all the scripts has helped a lot... as has blocking the endless confusingly placed adverts, stripping out most of the DIV that hold them, and of course throwing custom user.css at the site to make it so I don't have to dive for the zoom or deal with a crappy little stripe fixed width and even more retarded px metric fonts.

deathshadow, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  20. KW802

KW802 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The "Post Ratings" add-on by DarkImmortal is serving that purpose for most people as it allows for positive, neutral, and negative ratings.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-ratings-taking-likes-to-the-next-level.410/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
    KW802, Jan 21, 2013 IP
    robjones likes this.