1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to learn about mobile payments

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by murume, Jan 16, 2013.

I live in Zimbabwe where paying online is a nightmare if not almost impossible. I have this idea of creating sites that use mobile banking facilities available in Zimbabwe. The thing is I do not have enough money to pay someone do a mediocre job for me. I want to do it myself. The problem is I do not know what to read or where to start. I am not good but ok in PHP and C and I need to be pointed in the right direction.
    What I want the site to do is to accept payments, communicate with the appropriate servers, process the transaction and send an SMS to the customer.

murume, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  2. Amoy

Amoy Active Member

Best Answers:
    what about buying prepaid by western union or money gram

Amoy, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  3. murume

murume Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think I have a clue on how those things work. Thanks for pointing them out. Now I'll go and make some enquiry. I still want to learn how to handle mobile banking coz if I don't do it for my site I'll definitely need to do it for some clients. This is budding industry with immense potential in the third world.
    Check it out here: http://www.techzim.co.zw/tag/ecocash

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    murume, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  4. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may want to inquire with TN Bank to see if they offer a POS gateway for ecommerce platform. I am not aware of any mobile money POS gateways that integrate into ecommerce application (i.e Prestashop). If you build such an application you have to ensure security similar to bank wire transfer. Do you have a tech hub located in Tanzania? Try to find someone in IT or technology field to bounce your idea off of without fully disclosing what you're trying to do if you can to help you in the right direction. Best of luck in your endeavors.

muffet, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  5. murume

murume Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't inquired with TN but knowing my fellow Zimbabweans like I do there is a 99% chance that they haven't considered creating that sort of gateway yet. Maybe if I learn how to do it I may end up doing things for them and others. Do I need a degree to master this kind of technology?

murume, Jan 17, 2013 IP
  6. babushka99

babushka99 Member

Best Answers:
    Learning about Mobile or Online payments is not an easy task. There is so much information out there, that it sort of confuses the mind at time. Information overload is a very easy thing to achieve when trying to enter the domain of online and mobile payments. I don't know if you know about Quora (www.Quora.com) - which is an excellent place to learn. It is a Q&A site, but a lot more advance and better quality answers than say Yahoo! Answers. I recently put up an answer there, on a question that was "How Does The Payments Ecosystem Work?" You can view the answer here: http://www.quora.com/Payments/How-does-the-payments-ecosystem-work/answer/Faisal-Khan-1

Its a slow and steady task of learning online payments. You will have much questions and confusion, but best to have patience and read a lot.

babushka99, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  7. murume

murume Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems there's a lot to learn form both quora and paymentmagnates. Thank you guys. I hope the newsletters wont swamp my inbox and overwhelm me

murume, Jul 10, 2013 IP