1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

rewriting issue

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Chancey, Jan 7, 2013.

One of my clients says that an article rewrite need to be original from the original article. I said that is not rewrite anymore.
    My article has only 23% similarities, but he said that he won't pay for it since it doesn't passed copyscape.

I remember that most of my clients would go for even up to 50% similarities, but this one want an original article when my service and rate is for rewrite only.

Who do you think is wrong between the two of us?

Note: My New Year rate is just $0.50, which is lower than the $0.75 that I used to charge for rewrites.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    Chancey, Jan 7, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    "...it doesn't pass copyscape", Is a line that some people use along with a bunch of others to get out of paying the bill. Just think on this...if he can get out of paying a few people like you every few jobs, then think of the overall savings.
    Not fair, not ethical, but this is how some people cut back on costs.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 7, 2013 IP
  3. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google seems to be cracking down on it more and more. Even rewrites need to pass copyscape.

MarTh-, Jan 7, 2013 IP
    GamingOn likes this.
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't define a commissioned rewrite as being only 50 or 77% different. I would expect a rewrite, for website content purposes, to pass Copyscape entirely.

YMC, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  5. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is where a writer needs to verify with the buyer exactly what it is they are looking for. Are they looking for a certain percentage in Copyscape or do they want 100% clear? You can take text copy, rewrite a sentence or entire paragraph in your own words and it's a rewrite. It will still pass CS because you take what you read and rewrite it in your own words. Usually no research, or extremely basic research is involved. 100% unique would be taking a topic, doing the research and writing original copy.

TextServices, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  6. lindagreene

lindagreene Peon

Best Answers:
    A rewrite must pass copyscape too.....purpose of rewrite is to keep the same points of original article but it must be rewritten such that it passes copyscape.

lindagreene, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  7. creativistenterprise

creativistenterprise Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You're looking at a lamer. The dude that'll buy something then demand a refund just to have something for free.
    People like that come and go and wont ever receive real success in ANY kind of business practice.
    Such an attitude reflects an UNclever, UNcreative business personality that will undoubtedly seep into other areas of his aspirations and goals.
    Pity him.

creativistenterprise, Jan 13, 2013 IP
  8. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Agree. Although passing Copyscape is only the first step nowadays. You need to pass Google if you expect to rank well enough to generate traffic from it. Passing Google involves a whole bunch of other stuff over and above duplicate content checking - for example, does your text appear to be 'spun'. Is the link optimization within normal bounds. Do your sentences conform to a statistically normal distribution. That kind of thing.

PassGoSEO, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I mention Copyscape only because it was mentioned by the OP. Copyscape has never been part of my business. Any potential client who insists my work passes CS is already telling me that he doubts my professionalism which is a terrible way to start a business relationship. I've only been asked to pass CS once by a prospect and they ended up not becoming a client.

YMC, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  10. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it will not even pass copyscape it means the article is competently worthless and it will get what ever website it is posted on penalized which is worse then worthless.. it is negative and destructive.

The entire point of a "rewrite" is to make something original so it will no get counted as duplicate content. Why even hire you? a person would be just as well off copy & paste and page from the web.

I would pay nothing for it and be mad you wasted my time.

averyz, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  11. KatherineO

KatherineO Member

Best Answers:
    I never could stomach the rewrite business. Clients expect to pay less, but really it's just as much work as writing an article from scratch because it needs to be 100% unique, just like regular articles.

So I don't do it.

It seems that you aren't charging enough for the work you do. Not only that, but I side with the client - it needs to be 100% unique.

Too much of a pain and not worth my time.

KatherineO, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  12. WritGigs

WritGigs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi everyone!

I think the main issue is WHAT you both agreed upon before entering into the rewrite contract. Did you understand what he wanted - copyscape passed content? And did he understand what your rewrite service offered? If not - then a misunderstanding would happen like in this case - payment withheld and you not getting paid.

True rewrites are more likely to be more than 80% unique in order to have a chance at passing Copyscape.

Also, there has to be a good distinction between rewritten and spinning content. Spinning content like those from softwares like The Best Spinner are not true rewrites.

I have heard cases of spun content and even plr that have even passed copyscape, so I'm not an overall fan of Copyscape as the end all judge of what passes for duplicate or original content.

But that is not what is important in this case. What is important is you and your client being satisfied - content given and payment received.

In short, if the client was aware of what you were offering in the first place - then you deserve to get paid, even if the content did not pass Copyscape. A service contract is just that - two parties agreeing to something - content in exchange for payment. And clearly you delivered that content. Unfortunately, your client was not satisfied with it. So it comes down to my original question/s - what did you both agreed upon in the first place.

I think that this is clearly a case of you NOT stating clearly what your service is offering and also not being fully aware of what your client wanted and he used your service expecting different results = disappointing outcome. Make sure your potential clients are fully aware of what you are offering and you know clearly what they want before any writing or rewriting begins - get it in writing. Get this right and you'll lessen rejections and increase your bottom line.

WritGigs, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  13. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:

It's EXTREMELY easy for spun/rewritten content to pass Copyscape.

That's why nowadays, you have to pass Google - after all, that's where your traffic is going to come from.

PassGoSEO, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  14. rprost

rprost Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are times when it doesn't make sense to have the article pass copyscape. For example recently I had a client ask me to rewrite a bunch of articles on poker. There are some commonly used phrases in poker that kept causing copscape to fail the articles, changing the articles so that they would pass copyscape resulted in them reading like the author had never played poker before. If the only thing that somebody looks at is copyscape they may find that they get articles that won't do them much good.

rprost, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  15. Lewis Doe

Lewis Doe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Your problem seems to be that you're using the original article and only trying to modify the second. Throw the first one away and just write the second from scratch, that way you won't be influenced by the content you've already thrown together.

Lewis Doe, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  16. O Morgan

O Morgan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Of course he is not right (IMO)
    rewriting - it's not something new
    U do not need to recreate the wheel))

O Morgan, May 9, 2013 IP
  17. writerpoint2050

writerpoint2050 Peon

Best Answers:
    To avoid conflicts I would suggest you ask the client to speak out what he needs, ask him to clearly define scope of work and then you can better deliver as per his guidelines this will not land you in spot where you don't get paid nor the client is unhappy.

writerpoint2050, May 13, 2013 IP