1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Toolbar PR demystified

Discussion in 'Google' started by thegypsy, Nov 27, 2006.

1. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    No I am STATING that it is not a viable option for targeting Marketing DOllars... it is not a focus of a SEO program.... You shouldn't be focussing on it... which is simply RAMPANT on DP

PR can be a good tool for assessing a sites health and those those buying/selling/trading links... but that's it...

Some on comes here all to often asking "How do I get a higher PR?" and people start aymmering away telling them.. instead of saying; " Just work on your SEO activities and PR will take care of itself"

You TBPR tells U very little ( it doesn't denote trust, SEOblackhat is a PR5..link OUT to them from your site and see what happens :0)

Pr does NOT = SERP Rankings ...that is a fact of life....

So, I trry to beat back the flames for people that are busy trying to build and/or wasting time worrying about the next update... like their rankings will go up or some other foolish reason,...

thegypsy, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  2. adwordaffiliate

adwordaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting you'd mentioned this, I blogged about something similar literally 5 mins ago :p

adwordaffiliate, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  3. Motter

Motter Peon

Best Answers:
    it may NOT be to focus but WILL be the result of a "meaningfull SEO campaign.

Motter, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  4. Motter

Motter Peon

Best Answers:
    Please supply me with these papers you speak of. For now I'll quote Googles Current explanation of PR

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

P.S. maybe you should have read the rest of the article considering it's whole point was to agree with what you were saying.................

Motter, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  5. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Regardless, then your synopsis is skewed, these days it is back links and site size as well... regardless, I am on about TBPR anyways.. not REAL - calculated on-the-fly PR.

Further more the orignal PageRank system over went heavy weighting de-valuation in 2004 ( a-la Florida/HillTop) so the older pre-2000 papers are not what we have today

If you agree, then great.. Point is simple, focusing of buiding PR is NOT a functional invesment of markething $$...

That's really all I am on about... tired of endless posts about PR Obession

:D .... I would hope most professional SEOs know this, it is more targeted towards newer folks that don't understand that aspect

thegypsy, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  6. Keone

Keone Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not really care about PR. To me it is all about the information I find on a website. I try to think as an "end-user" not as a webmaster.
    When I find an interesting site I do not close the page because it has a low page rank.... (this should get you thinking)

When I started my first business my fathers first lesson was that the poor from today can be the rich of tomorrow - hear about what they have to say before making conclusions.

I guess this is the same with PR. When I search for back links I do look at page rank but merely because it is a quick reference to know if the site or page I want my link on is indexed by Google.

People can get a PR 5 with just 5 back links but that does not mean the page or website it is really important.

age of the page and their back links is much more important to me.
    10 links from pr2 pages from relevant websites will get you MUCH further than 10 high PR pages which are less relevant.

Sure High PR usually means the website has good information to offer. But this is not always true. Look at your competitors and see what links are in their top of the list at MSN and Yahoo (link:domain.tld). Those are not always the higher (PR) ranked websites they are however the most valuable websites to get ranked on. Pay more attention to that and you get ranked much higher and quicker.

Really...forget about about page rank It is just a few green pixels.

Buy a few deleted/expired domains from your niche and get them 301'ed
    Work on your on page SEO and make every title (8 to 10 words) and description different.

Submit some extractions from articles to article sites and do not forget Netscape. Make sure you use good titles for those.
    Also write a good article for Wiki (spend time on this) and don't just add links to existing pages. (a waste of time)

Find a fast host and register your domain for 5 or 10 years (even if you just want to use the domain for a year).

Then start to get back links from relevant sites and spend time to find the ones that are highly relevant. Again 10 relevant links are worth much more than 100 selected by page rank with less relevancy.

Be careful with reciprocal linking. It is in my opinion better to make a separate (domain) directory. Preferably a niche directory and offer a featured listing when they link back. First add their link and then write them. Sure this takes time but saves you time too. Make a short max 200 words links exchange mail. The long mails I usually delete right away and most others do too. Just get to the point. People using the internet do not which to read long articles and emails they are looking for information!

Make sure your articles on your web pages are at least 500 words though. Also try to use a relevant picture with good (relevant) alt texts in most articles and try to keep them under 15k and link it to that same page.

gzip your code for faster loading

my 2 cents

Keone, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  7. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    If you are marketing a directory where you sell listings then TBPR is very important.

As long as people obssess about it, it will be a marketing factor for many webmasters.

Roman, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  8. Keone

Keone Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are into bread crumbs...yes

Keone, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  9. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    If your TBPR shows PR 8 or 9 then you'll be making a lot more than bread crumbs from it if you chose to.

TBPR, just like Alexa is a tool. It gives people interested in your site a way to do some extra research as well as a justification of the work you do on your site.

Now I agree, people obssess about both way too much as each will come naturally with work so they should obssess about making their site better.

Roman, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  10. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Two reasons I care about PR

1) When I make a website, I work on backlinks. If my PR goes up it tells me that my linking strategy is working fine, if it doesnt then it means I am lacking somewhere.

2) Higher PR means more value of your domain and links.

No matter how many of us say PR is useless, but everyone, and I repeat everyone cares about PR.

The Webmaster, Nov 30, 2006 IP
  11. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is kind of like being told their is a gold mine and when you get there it caves in on you.

So you just put up your PayPal ID and people just send you money because of your PR? I got to get in on this kick. What is the average donation? :D

visio, Dec 6, 2006 IP