1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

20,000 pageviews and no clicks

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by aetdinger, Jan 11, 2013.

My site has now hit 20k pageviews per day, when i was getting around 300 i was earning and getting clicks.

but now with 20k pageviews and around 1k-2k uniques i am not receiving any clicks.

checked with awstats and analytics

suggestions and ideas pleae

aetdinger, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  2. EllenSmith

EllenSmith Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is my list of the best size ads that I use on my websites

728 x 90 banner ad

160 x 600 wide skyscraper

120 x 600 skyscraper

336 x 280 large rectangle

300 x 250 medium rectangle

EllenSmith, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  3. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    experiment with ad placement.
    BTW, it's hard for us to give you ideas or let you know what the problem is if you don't post your site.

indyonline, Jan 11, 2013 IP
    aetdinger likes this.
  4. aetdinger

aetdinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    it is not my signature site, also there is no malware on that site. i have just ran a check

5. aetdinger

aetdinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    stats of my site was:

- 250 page views per day
    - £0.10-£1 Per day
    - 50-100 UV
    - 3 clicks average

NOW:

- 20K+ page views
    - 1k+ UV
    - Zero clicks

ad sizes 728x90, 728x15

2 link ads and 2 banner ads max per page

thankyou for your thoughts

6. Mr victor

Mr victor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is those visitors from organic search engine visitors or just fake visitors

Mr victor, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  7. aetdinger

aetdinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    I stand corrected, you were right a plugin i have added is causing an issue. thankyou

indyonline likes this.
  8. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ur welcome.
    thought you would want to know

indyonline, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  9. aetdinger

aetdinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes thankyou, I have sent a pm as i dont really want to publicly share my site

10. aetdinger

aetdinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    no fake visitors checked with awstats and analytics, they also show in adsense pageviews.

all organic via multiple keywords

this is why i am confused

11. aetdinger

aetdinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you know of any other good ways to check for fake traffic, thanks

12. jayleeh1989

jayleeh1989 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if it's organic from the search engines as you say it is it's obviously not going to be fake traffic. Have you paid for any traffic packages?

jayleeh1989, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  13. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Considering your amount of uniques, your visitors are spending quite a while there, so I am inclined to believe that it's the type of site not always suitable for Adsense. I could be wrong, though. Without seeing the site, I couldn't give any specific advice. However, maybe some general advice below might help.

I recently was getting lower CTR and CPC for one of my sites, significantly so. I would normally get 10-15% CTR and a CPC 2-3 times higher. I have partially resolved it by:

#1: Going into "Adsense > Allow & block ads > Advanced settings" and disabling "Interest-based Ads Preference", "Third Party Ads Preference" and "Social Ads Preference".
    #2: Next I went into "Adsense > Allow & block ads > Content > theparticularsite.com" and disabled most of the "Sensitive categories" (except the one related to my site).
    #3: If you wanted you could also disable anything completely irrelevant under the "General categories" too, but this might not be relevant to you if your site has a lot of different types of content. Sadly, the individual site view doesn't give statistics, unlike "General categories" under "All my sites" (so unless someone has just one site earning in Adsense, it's useless). I did not do this bit due to having several sites.
    #4: About 50% of the visitors are smartphone/tablet ones, I chose a smaller adformat - 300x250.

After I did #1, #2, #3 my CTR and CPC has increased significantly (the earnings are back to normal). After #4, I had a increase in mobile clicks, too, by about 2-3 times.

You might want to consider looking in to these things too, especially if you get a lot of smartphone/tablet traffic. You don't want to lose out on those clicks.

Good luck!

ryan_uk, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  14. trixy

trixy Active Member

Best Answers:
    maybe no keyword suitable for the ads so when visitors come to your site they do not see any ads,

trixy, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  15. aetdinger

aetdinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    thankyou for the suggestions, my site is a classifieds website. also I believe you are right in that my site is not very friendly with other screen resolutions which another digitalpoint member has informed me. great advice thanks

aetdinger, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  16. OGHacks

OGHacks Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can see that your really keen on keeping the looks of your website to a maximum, but I think your Adsense ads need to be slightly more intrusive.

And by intrusive I don't mean to make it look worse, try to make your ads more central (using different ad type), and make them work well with the sites background.

Honestly I wouldn't have even known there was an adsense ad on the site at all if I wasn't looking for it... :) So that's probably the reason.

For a solution, I think you should try using the 'Leaderboard (728 x 90)' or possibly the 'Banner (468 x 60), and place them between each host review you have on your homepage. Make sure the ads fit in well with your site and use text & image ads (unless you really prefer different).

Honestly I think this would be the best way to improve your CTR.

OGHacks, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  17. aetdinger

aetdinger Active Member

Best Answers:
    there is some good advice here, although the site in question is not the hosting review website, it is another one of my sites sorry for the confusion i will add to my signature now

aetdinger, Jan 13, 2013 IP
  18. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen your site and the ad relevancy... well, do you really want "date mature singles" ads on your home page? On the other hand, you do have a personals section, so you wouldn't want to be blocking these types of ads, I guess. Those two ads down the left-hand side... just are in the wrong place, I think. The other is for SEO services, which just doesn't seem right. Again, you offer it, but is that what the majority of your visitors come to your site for? You want to have ads for what's popular.

Anyway, it might be worth placing those ads elsewhere (and smaller), like between the categories (not the subcategories). Like between auto and realestate, for example. But in a "hot area". So look at what's popular and place it between two popular ones, or below the most popular one.

I'm assume you have some sort of analytics set up? Ones that are excluding bots and your own visits (plus anyone else who works for you).

Also, the ad right in the header... well, my first concern would be getting hit by the Google Page Layout Update ("ads above the fold"), especially as you have the link unit there, too. Only you know how one is performing against the other (I'd say the link unit, as it has a very nice placement).

Track and monitor, find what works best. It's always fun! Good luck, mate.

ryan_uk, Jan 13, 2013 IP
  19. linksolution

linksolution Member

Best Answers:
    Source of traffic also matters, if you are receiving traffics from fan pages, social sites then it may not be helpful.

Try to put Adsense Text Ads mainly at top in clear space, should be viewed easily.

linksolution, Jan 13, 2013 IP
  20. filipina4friends

filipina4friends Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please check also the bounce rate of your site, maybe their only visit the first page and leave.

filipina4friends, Jan 18, 2013 IP