1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I get my Website listed in Dmoz Direcotry

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by andayiseo, Jan 11, 2013.

Hello friends,
    I have submited my Website on the dmoz directory website 5 times, and I have never been listed.
    Is there any special requirement or is there payment in order for your site to be listed.

I would appreciate any help I can get

andayiseo, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll help you. Stop re-suggesting your website lest you be banned as a spammer.
    By ignoring the submission guidelines that you agreed each time, you caused extra work for yourself and our volunteers - thus contributing to slower than desired response times.

jimnoble, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  3. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do not submit more than once because if you submit 5 times, the submission will have to be ignored by 5 different volunteers 4 years from now! We cannot have that!

joeventura, Jan 11, 2013 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I always 'roll my eyes' when I see comments like that. Why are people so silly that they can not follow the guidelines that they agreed to that they had read and understood?
    As others point out, you answered your own question:
    I have submited my Website on the dmoz directory website 5 times, --> I have never been listed ..... that is most likely why!

Agent000, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  5. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What would be nice is if the website was smart enough to say "This site has been previously submitted are you sure you want to have it ignored again?"

The way the site works has not been changed since I think Ronald Reagan was the US President, or maybe it was Martin Van Buren?!?!

joeventura, Jan 16, 2013 IP
    Winagain likes this.
  6. gombile13

gombile13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    gombile13, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  7. Linktub

Linktub Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ has been seriously downgraded by Google. They haven't cleaned their database in years. It will not provide the boost you think it will. There are sites on there that haven't been updated in years and so Google has taken action. I obviously can't post a link to an article about it but you can simply "google devalues dmoz"

this happened in 2008 - time to play catch up boyz!

Linktub, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have suggested your site. You can do no more at DMOZ. It can take from a few days to a few YEARS for a review.Don't resuggest it can slow it down and if you do it enough you can be banned as a spammer. If you want further details please take the trouble to read the sticky and re ad some of the threads on here which adequately tell you this and in much more detail.

Anonymously, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  9. shriya.mishra.144

shriya.mishra.144 Member

Best Answers:
    Find someone to do it for you....

shriya.mishra.144, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  10. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now thats good thinking :) Then the other person can resuggest the site and he will end up being flagged as a spammer for sure.

The site has been suggested....anything else that is done will only be detrimental to their cause so just wait your turn, be it days or be it years.

snooks, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  11. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is so stupid, and no one has worked on the back end since 1998. They could overwrite old submissions for the newest one for the old one and stop moaning about repeat submissions and "spammers."

It's most fortunate that a DMOZ is worth next to nothing.

helleborine, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  12. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't like how they run things, start your own human edited web directory and do better.

snakeair, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  13. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This statement shows you know zilch........

snooks, Jan 21, 2013 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Pay $20 to one of the editors, they are dime a dozen on the freelance sites and always looking for a sucker who is still ready to pay. This is the fastest and guaranteed way to be listed on DMOZ.

gworld, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  15. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very true,suckers and their money easily parted with simple scams.

Anonymously, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  16. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a very much needed feature!
    Anyway, I don't think dmoz is relevant anymore.

Winagain, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  17. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I pray one day Dmoz would get a new theme. I'm tired of the old one. lol

snakeair, Jan 22, 2013 IP
    Aditya Thakur likes this.
  18. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We got a whole new backend last year but yeh, i do think a bit of cosmetic work would do a lot for our image......something modern :)

snooks, Jan 22, 2013 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  19. bizbroker24com

bizbroker24com Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Please vote my answer if you like :)

How to Get Listed in DMOZ

The first thing I do, is go to DMOZ and look for other sites that have been accepted already that are very close to what my site is about. Let’s say for example that you had an acne site, what I would do is type into DMOZ “acne” and see what sites they show.
    In the image below, you’ll see a category for acne that one of the sites I found was in.

So the first thing you need to work out is what the best category for your site to go into is. DMOZ are super strict with this and if you submit to a wrong category, that can be enough to get your site denied and that’s the end of that. When you are confident you are on the right category page, then all you need to do is click the link “suggest URL” and fill out the form.​
    It’s also not a bad idea to have a look at the kind of sites that have been accepted in your chosen category and see if there’s anything that you can do to your site to help it’s chances. One thing I have done in the past is remove all advertising and affiliate links until DMOZ has accepted it, and then later add these back in.​
    Another important thing to realize when trying to work out how to get listed in DMOZ is that you can submit your sites again and again, as many times as you like when trying to get in. However you must keep in mind that when you submit your site it goes to the bottom of the pile for review.​
    What this means is that if you have submitted your site one day, and then you submit it again a week later, then DMOZ will recognize your domain from the first submission and remove it from the queue and leave your latest one there at the back!​
    So what I do is leave it for a month and then submit it again, and I keep doing this every month until I get in. Different reviewers get your site each time so eventually you might get in, and I need to stress ‘might’, because it’s never certain, and like I said I have yet to get this blog in, but I’m still trying and have a reminder in my outlook to keep submitting every month.​
    I think directory submissions are worth doing, as long as it’s not the kind of directories that guarantee a listing if you pay them, because I don’t think Google would care for that much, but other directories still have a good effect for SEO.​

bizbroker24com, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

How else DMOZ moderators and Admins are going to make couple of bucks to live on? Remind you that the ones with even little intelligence have left long ago and trying new scams somewhere else and now only the totally incompetents trying to still make couple of bucks from DMOZ to survive on. :)

gworld, Jan 23, 2013 IP